Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So how come none of the homeschooled on this forum will admit they are home-schooled? They are so proud of home-schooling that they can't admit they are home-schooled? Why haven't we heard people say "I was home-schooled and proud of it"
Probably because homeschooling is something that began recently and is beginning to take hold in many places. There probably aren't that many home schooled adults in the country in relation to population percentage.

As for your original question, well, when you have public school teachers openly insulting students in class for their Christian beliefs, why shouldn't parents take their kids out of public school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
So how come none of the homeschooled on this forum will admit they are home-schooled? They are so proud of home-schooling that they can't admit they are home-schooled? Why haven't we heard people say "I was home-schooled and proud of it"
Well I grew up working on old cars with my Dad and still do to this day.I wasn't home schooled but you seem desperate. Hope this helps

Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Probably because homeschooling is something that began recently and is beginning to take hold in many places.
Homeschooling has existed for decades

Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Well I grew up working on old cars with my Dad and still do to this day.I wasn't home schooled but you seem desperate. Hope this helps
You also grew up home-schooled...oh wait, that was your "niece and nephew" Gotcha wink wink

Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Homeschooling has existed for decades
But not in the numbers it is today. A few decades is still recent. The number of parents choosing homeschooling has grown rapidly within the past ten years. For the first 5 years of my life I was homeschooled. Thanks to my parents, I was reading and writing prior to my entering public school. Only problem with that was I had to wait several years for my classmates to catch up,...some never did. Though some could not read even a third grade level, they still graduated high school and some even went on to college because they could play sports.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
You also grew up home-schooled...oh wait, that was your "niece and nephew" Gotcha wink wink
Good nite silly

Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Good nite silly
Good night friend

Old 09-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
But not in the numbers it is today. A few decades is still recent. The number of parents choosing homeschooling has grown rapidly within the past ten years. For the first 5 years of my life I was homeschooled. Thanks to my parents, I was reading and writing prior to my entering public school. Only problem with that was I had to wait several years for my classmates to catch up,...some never did. Though some could not read even a third grade level, they still graduated high school and some even went on to college because they could play sports.
For the first 5 years of my life? LOL...that's like saying "For the first 5 years of my life, I was not working" A significant percentage of the population do not send their children to school until they are 5-6. I'm referring to people who were home-schooled during high school for example.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:48 PM

203 posts, read 278,832 times
Tim Tebow is a good example of a successful homeschooled kid.

Public schools tend to push their own agenda. Public schools have not done a whole lot to discount a lot of the complaints against them.

Home schooling should be encouraged for everyone. If enough special needs parents homeschooled their kids, there would be less in public schools and more classroom space and teachers for other students. If more homeschooled, there would be less kids in the classroom and a better student to teacher ratio.

If more people did homeschooling, the schools would require less money and therefore there would be less taxes needed for schools.

If there were more parents homeschooling, there would be more parents actively involved in the education of their kids. Parental involvement is a major key to success. It is not any wonder why city schools have problems. Parents are not involved.

Homeschooling makes America unique. American families have freedom to homeschool that other countries refuse to give. America is the land of individualism and reliance of the person over the collective whole. It is a way of preserving the tradition of individual rights and freedom over a more collective vision that European nations have. The United States is the land of the unalienable rights of men. Europe is the land of the rights of Man.

A lot of opposition to homeschooling comes from collectivists that want America to be like Europe. Liberals are infatuated with Europe because it is more collective.

The biggest difference between Americans and Europeans is confidence and belief in oneself. Europeans are less personally confident and ambitious and more likely to want the security of a job that does not require a whole lot of extra sacrifice and effort. Americans all have this belief that THEY can make it big and be the next big thing. Americans want to be the best but Europeans in general do not mind staying somewhere right in the middle.

The differences are quite funny though. In Europe, schooling is very difficult and challenging compared to America. But the educated in Europe go to work for the government, writing or a secure finance job and typically dont make it all that far in the govt or in their finance job or as a writer. In America, education is not as challenging or difficult but in adulthood many take advantage of their experience to try to make something of themselves even if they fail trying.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:00 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Collectivism is a huge problem in public schools and colleges. If it is a state college then I would refer to it as Statism instead of a "good education."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Tim Tebow is a good example of a successful homeschooled kid.

Public schools tend to push their own agenda. Public schools have not done a whole lot to discount a lot of the complaints against them.

Home schooling should be encouraged for everyone. If enough special needs parents homeschooled their kids, there would be less in public schools and more classroom space and teachers for other students. If more homeschooled, there would be less kids in the classroom and a better student to teacher ratio.

If more people did homeschooling, the schools would require less money and therefore there would be less taxes needed for schools.

If there were more parents homeschooling, there would be more parents actively involved in the education of their kids. Parental involvement is a major key to success. It is not any wonder why city schools have problems. Parents are not involved.

Homeschooling makes America unique. American families have freedom to homeschool that other countries refuse to give. America is the land of individualism and reliance of the person over the collective whole. It is a way of preserving the tradition of individual rights and freedom over a more collective vision that European nations have. The United States is the land of the unalienable rights of men. Europe is the land of the rights of Man.

A lot of opposition to homeschooling comes from collectivists that want America to be like Europe. Liberals are infatuated with Europe because it is more collective.

The biggest difference between Americans and Europeans is confidence and belief in oneself. Europeans are less personally confident and ambitious and more likely to want the security of a job that does not require a whole lot of extra sacrifice and effort. Americans all have this belief that THEY can make it big and be the next big thing. Americans want to be the best but Europeans in general do not mind staying somewhere right in the middle.

The differences are quite funny though. In Europe, schooling is very difficult and challenging compared to America. But the educated in Europe go to work for the government, writing or a secure finance job and typically dont make it all that far in the govt or in their finance job or as a writer. In America, education is not as challenging or difficult but in adulthood many take advantage of their experience to try to make something of themselves even if they fail trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies