Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Muslims need to understand that this country was based on separation of state and religion. Islam is different from other religions, in that it is also a theocratic form of government. Look at how many Islamic republics there are around the world. Do you see any Christian republics? Jewish republics?
There are four, and none of them have the same government and the same laws.

As much as some people want to put all the members of one group into one tidy little box and assign the same attributes to them across the board, that kind of thinking will remain inaccurate. And it's just lazy, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's not a trick.

I know this will be news to you, but did you know that it is wrong to stereotype all people on the actions of just a few?

Some black people cause crime, but that does not mean that every black person you see is a criminal (in fact, most aren't); therefore, we should not imprison people on the basis of their skin color.

Some Christians preach hatred and violence, but not every Christian is intolerant and violent (in fact, most aren't); therefore, we should not shun all Christians as hateful and violent.

Some Muslims are intolerant extremists, but not every Muslim is a violent extremist (in fact, most aren't); therefore, we should not persecute all Muslims as intolerant extremists.

Have you ever heard of this concept? Can you possibly comprehend it and accept it on any level? Why is this so hard for so many people in this forum?

Can you and certain others on here even recognize the fact that supporting the condemnation and persecution all American Muslims is completely contradictory to everything that the Constitution has ever stood for? It makes you a modern-day Nazi, not a freedom-loving patriot.
Some tigers eat people but that doesn't mean EVERY tiger will eat you,so I am going to go play with that big old kitty cat...

If I go search through all your posts here,I am sure I won't find the use of any stereotypes at all,because THAT would mean you are a hypocrite...

Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
For once, I agree with something Sarah Palin has said. Looking around some of the threads on here, I was beginning to think that right wingers were not capable of even admitting that burning books of any kind is not a good idea.
//www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=15811181

That was easy.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are four, and none of them have the same government and the same laws.

As much as some people want to put all the members of one group into one tidy little box and assign the same attributes to them across the board, that kind of thinking will remain inaccurate. And it's just lazy, IMO.
We did just that with the Nazis.

It's their choice which ideology they decide to follow.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
They are there to stay. Best learn how to live with one another which will require a far greater understanding on all fronts...and tolerance.
Otherwise they might just blow up the bus you are riding down the street on...

Or rape your daughter for not wearing the right clothing...

Or attack you for not observing THEIR religious beliefs.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 AM

To the people who hate all Muslims and believe all that crap about how they all want to impose Sharia Law on the rest of us and make us wear burqas and behead us and whatnot--how do you handle it when you have a Muslim coworker or neighbor? Do you snub them and just not speak? Do you say these hateful things to their faces? And how are you able within to persuade yourself that they do not have the same feelings and emotions as you do? How are you able to keep up the strong belief that a particular person is lying no matter what they say? Do not answer this post with a litany of "they they they"--I want to know about you. You have acknowledged that you despise an entire group of people based on Internet sites, or what others have said, or books you've read, or maybe personal experience. I want to know how you reconcile this with Muslims with whom you have interacted and how you reconcile this kind of hatred with your view of yourself.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
hay don't put a picture of my cousins up on cd

YouTube - Three Things About Islam
As I said, they want total control or death!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Otherwise they might just blow up the bus you are riding down the street on...

Or rape your daughter for not wearing the right clothing...

Or attack you for not observing THEIR religious beliefs.

But there are 600,000 Muslims in the city where I work, and 300,000 in the state where I live, and they aren't doing those things now. When is this all supposed to start? Should I go ask the Muslims I know from work and business about this? I'd like a schedule...

OK, so much for sarcasm.

I've already been through two terrorist attacks, thank you very much. I didn't live in fear after the first one, even knowing that we were still a likely target, and I'm not going to live that way now. Nor will I reduce myself to stupidity and swallow every bit of propaganda sent to me on websites and emails and spewn by people with an agenda of their own--that would be impossible, because I already know differently. If you do, that's your choice, but I think I probably know better than most how quickly your life can end and how close the line is between life and death, and I'd rather not waste my remaining time on earth targeting people different from me just because they are different.

It seems hugely lost on many of you far from the NY metro area that the World Trade Center was a place where people of many races, religions and cultures worked side by side and got along. You shame the memory of those who were lost.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
But there are 600,000 Muslims in the city where I work, and 300,000 in the state where I live, and they aren't doing those things now. When is this all supposed to start? Should I go ask the Muslims I know from work and business about this? I'd like a schedule...

OK, so much for sarcasm.

I've already been through two terrorist attacks, thank you very much. I didn't live in fear after the first one, even knowing that we were still a likely targer, and I'm not going to live that way now. Nor will I reduce myself to stupidity.
Stockholm syndrome.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:

OK, so much for sarcasm.

I've already been through two terrorist attacks, thank you very much. I didn't live in fear after the first one, even knowing that we were still a likely targer, and I'm not going to live that way now. Nor will I reduce myself to stupidity.
You seem to not grasp that being aware is not the same as being afraid.

If you are truly interested,read the research done by Pew and see what American Muslims think re: terrorism and such.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
If the argument is that Sharia law exists in the Middle East as Islam being a form of government, then the wide variety of nations that have even aspects of Sharia law kind of show that the differences are too great to be considered a form of governing. The more correct term is a republic based in Islam. Since the actual political laws are not Islamic per se (some Islamic nations more freedoms and directly contradict Sharia law, others are more strict). The picking and choosing make it too disparate to be called a political ideology.
Too save some time, I'll citi wiki.
Quote:
Islamic state
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An Islamic state is a state that has adopted Islam, specifically Sharia, as its foundations for political institutions, or laws, exclusively, and has implemented the islamic ruling system khilafah (Arabic خلافة).
To explain this further one has to take into account the notions of dar (Arabic دار) which originally means house, but in this context means domain. In islamic jurisprudence Muslims operate with two main types of dar, dar al islam (Arabic دار الإسلام) the domain of islam, and dar al kufr (Arabic دار الكفر). Dar al islam is defined (by the prevailing opinion) as the domain in which:
All the laws governing the area have their roots in islamic jurisprudence.
The security al-amaanah (Arabic الأمانة) is in the hands of Muslims.
After fulfilling the criteria of being a dar al islam one then views the organization of the state. There is difference of opinion pertaining to exactly what departments the islamic as a minimum should entail, but some of the common criteria are. (more to come)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies