Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They make more than 98.5% of all Americans. I don't care if they're 5 million bucks in the hole. That is a money management problem. They are still making more than 98.5% of all Americans!
Of course it is a money management problem! And yes they make more money than 98% of all Americans but that does NOT make them wealthy. Nuff said.

Wealth is not determined soley by income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You might want to review some IRS publications.
Check the the Schedule A for form 1040 lines 5a, 5b, 6, 7 and 8.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM

646 posts, read 393,759 times
I don't know. I don't think people should be able to label you as rich or not. there needs to be a simple tax system, with no loopholes, and people need to shut up and stop labeling people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you make that much, you are weathier than 98.5% of the people in this country. What do you think the standard for "rich" should be?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM

646 posts, read 393,759 times
not middle class, but if they know how to blow through money, they can be hurting. I've meet people who make $40k per year, and have a huge 401k. I've also met people who make well over $100k, and have huge debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know that I am going to hate myself in the morning but...

I pretty much agree that in an age where folks are getting $10-20 million a year to play football or star in a movie, $250,000 sounds like chump change. So, I won't call them rich, but they aren't anywhere near the middle.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:43 PM

15,063 posts, read 8,625,891 times
For all you "tax" lovers out there .... let's skip the BS about whether $250K makes you "Rich" or not .... and get right to the point. Shall we? The real point is you really just want to INCREASE taxes on people for some strange and inexplicable reason .... not the corporations that now pay no taxes at all ... but the people you think aren't paying enough.

And for what purposes will this new found monies go? To help pay for Trillions of dollars to be given to Billionaire Bankers who caused the financial meltdown to begin with? To help to those poor corporations that used that money (like Ford) to build a new manufacturing plant in Brazil, cutting the throats of American workers in the process? To pay for more Wars of aggression .... maybe a Trillion extra to destroy Iran next?

Or ... is it for more worthwhile programs that help people .... like the almost 1 Million spent to teach uncircumcised African men how to properly wash their "members" after sex?

Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program | CNSnews.com (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/75198 - broken link)

Or maybe the equally important expenditures like 2.6 Million to teach Chinese Prostitutes how to drink responsibly on the Job?

U.S. Will Pay $2.6 Million to Train Chinese Prostitutes to Drink Responsibly on the Job - BlackListed News (http://blacklistednews.com/news-4209-0-23-23--.html - broken link)

Yes ... little sheeple, you smart little rascals ... this is how your money and MY MONEY is being spent .... blowing up countries ... bailing out Billionaire Bankers ... teaching prostitutes how to stay sober enough to count their tricks ... and teaching grown African men how to wash their dicks!

And you all are going to gather up all of your woolly liberal sheep friends, march on Washington, and demand that the government take more taxes from these stinking rich Americans making $250K to help pay for these, and MANY MORE terribly important programs?

Now this is about as STUPID as STUPID can possibly be. You've reached the pinnacle of IDIOCY ... if there were an Olympic event for biggest MORON .. you're the hands down favorites to win the gold, silver and bronze medals, in a clean sweep ...

So I have no illusions as to WHY you cannot grasp the more nuanced fact that it doesn't matter how much you tax the so called "Rich" ... YOU AREN'T GOING TO BENEFIT ... YOU are still going to pay what they demand of you ... it won't go down no matter how much they take from someone else ... you're still on the hook, and they aren't going to ease up on you, no matter how much they take from everyone else. This isn't rocket science, and there are plenty more Bankers who need a helping hand, and many more peckers to be washed on the continent of Africa.

So, no matter how much tax they take from your fellow Americans, you aren't going to see a penny of it ... unless you're a Billionaire Banker, a Chinese Hooker with a drinking problem, or an African man with a dirty pecker.

Welcome to American ... home of the DUMBEST, MOST IGNORANT AND TOTALLY BRAIN DEAD HUMAN BEINGS ALIVE ON PLANET EARTH TODAY ... bar none.

Hey, at least you're the BEST at something ... RIGHT?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Wow..gotta love how all the left leaning are defining how folks making $250K and above should live, where they should live, where they should shop and how they should manage their finances so they can be taxed more with no problems.

Some of these posts are downright scary....what's next..deciding what salary they SHOULD earn and then take the rest away ?

You know..the IRS could take 99% of all our money and Congress would still spend twice as much.
Taxing more will NOT solve our nation's problem.

Realize only 53% pay Federal Income taxes..and that figure is a few years old.
Do you think with all the unemployed and chronically underemployed that maybe, just maybe those that don't pay outnumber those that do ? Look at Greece and Cuba..how long do you think we can last with less than 50% of the population paying Fed Income taxes while at the same time extending and expanding the social programs ?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yes, and this is the ACTUAL point .. isn't it ... $250K being enough to "live comfortably". But that's not the argument ... the argument is about whether $250K makes you RICH ... not "comfortable".

Apparently, to some, being comfortable is akin to rich .. and they want good old Uncle Sam to take more money from them. But how much? Until they are less comfortable? Or maybe go all the way ... tax them until they are uncomfortable? And who decides what "uncomfortable" actually is ... should half of it be taken? More?

I'll tell you this ... everyone of this "tax the rich" mindset generally follows a simple pattern as to what should be considered "rich", and it's always some figure above what THEY MAKE. Imagine that!

I've heard the ridiculous comments like "I've made it on half that amount, and did just fine and my heart doesn't bleed .... blah blah blah" and such comments make me grit my teeth!!!! The FACT is, the majority are forced to make it on less than 1/4 of that, not half ... and to them, $125K would be doubling, and often tripling their incomes. But don't expect those making $125K to agree that they make TOO MUCH and should give up more ... but that's exactly what they propose is a legitimate thing to do, but just not to them, of course!

Let me tell "these" people something about the facts of life .... when you "legitimize" the theft of other people's money ... I promise you ... it's only a matter of time before the thieves come to steal YOUR POCKET BOOK too.

And based on the financial climate today .... as such a mindset becomes more popular ... I also promise that there are WAY MORE people making $35K ... $45K .. that will consider YOUR $125K TOO MUCH, and that you need to pay more. This is the natural progression of things ... when one abandons "principles" such as allowing the government to steal OTHER people's money ... it won't be long till you end up being part of that "OTHER PEOPLE" category.

"First, they came of the communists, but I didn't speak up, for I was not a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists ... but I didn't speak out, for I was not a trade unionist ... then they came of the Jews, but I didn't speak out, because I was not a Jew ... then they came for me ... and there was no one left to speak out for me."

It all boils down to one simple situation .... we have some of the sheep choosing to herd the other sheep .... it certainly makes it much easier on the sheep herder ... but it's rather foolish on the part of the sheep.
It's been addressed. If you make more than the median income, you are rich. Black and white. You either do or you don't make more than that.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's been addressed. If you make more than the median income, you are rich. Black and white. You either do or you don't make more than that.
No..it's been arbitrarily defined by the current Obama administration.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM

15,063 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No..it's been arbitrarily defined by the current Obama administration.
I tell you .... we are doomed as a race ..... no civilization can expect to survive the level of stupidity demonstrated on this forum by many of these posters.

I know there are some fat cats monitoring the temperament of the public and they have to be high five'ing each other right about now.

And don't think they don't use this sad state of affairs as justification for their population reduction programs.

And the real sad part, I sometimes wonder, in spite of the bankrupt morality of that goal, if they don't have a valid point.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:13 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Wealth is not determined soley by income.
Well to be fair the thread seems to be revolving around people paying taxes and what is fair or not fair to those who make over $250k... I'm sure we can all agree that (generally speaking) the IRS is interested in your annual income, not means testing your net worth.

So it's a fair point that for the purposes of this thread income is the measure, not net worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies