Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Just in a bad school district or a dodgy area.And yes, I live in the DC burbs.

I cannot always read entire threads (who does) as I am at work making my $250K.

Its great to be filthy rich!
Howard County is hardly a dodgy area, and the house ($710k) was an absolutely gorgeous, newer colonial-style two-story in an upper class neighborhood, right down the street from one of the best high schools in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..gotta love how all the left leaning are defining how folks making $250K and above should live, where they should live, where they should shop and how they should manage their finances so they can be taxed more with no problems.

Some of these posts are downright scary....what's next..deciding what salary they SHOULD earn and then take the rest away ?

You know..the IRS could take 99% of all our money and Congress would still spend twice as much.
Taxing more will NOT solve our nation's problem.

Realize only 53% pay Federal Income taxes..and that figure is a few years old.
Do you think with all the unemployed and chronically underemployed that maybe, just maybe those that don't pay outnumber those that do ? Look at Greece and Cuba..how long do you think we can last with less than 50% of the population paying Fed Income taxes while at the same time extending and expanding the social programs ?
These people aren't familiar with the "Hole Theory" ... which says ... when you find yourself in one ... stop digging.

No one seems to question the legitimacy of giving Billionaire Bankers bail out money to the tune of Trillions ... nope ... they just think that more money needs to be stolen from the people's pockets to pay for this, for some strange reason.

There is no rational explanation for it ... and you'll only get a headache trying.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
but what about my point, in that someone could be paying out lots of money in child support. people making that much money can have situations too. they can be paying for a retirement home for an aging parent, ect.
Your specific liabilities do not determine whether or not your income meets the definition of wealthy.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
These people aren't familiar with the "Hole Theory" ... which says ... when you find yourself in one ... stop digging.

No one seems to question the legitimacy of giving Billionaire Bankers bail out money to the tune of Trillions ... nope ... they just think that more money needs to be stolen from the people's pockets to pay for this, for some strange reason.

There is no rational explanation for it ... and you'll only get a headache trying.
You're absolutely right. They're proud that we nationalized GM and bailed out the banks and lost trillions with AIG and Fannie/Freddie.
And then they turn around and go after the poor smoh who probably works in the cubicle next to them..demanding "they pay their fair share".

The hypocrisy makes my head spin.
GS gets billions..no problem.
$250K guy gets an extra 10% or so off his income tax and "Off with his head".

Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
For all you "tax" lovers out there .... let's skip the BS about whether $250K makes you "Rich" or not .... and get right to the point. Shall we? The real point is you really just want to INCREASE taxes on people for some strange and inexplicable reason .... not the corporations that now pay no taxes at all ... but the people you think aren't paying enough.
At present, the federal taxes we're talking about are approximately an extra $1300/yr. for those at the $250k income level. My goodness, that's just highway robbery.

Meanwhile, Colorado has idiots proposing amendments (60, 61, and proposition 101) that will reduce my school district's budget by 25%. Just for kicks and giggles, I should note that Colorado K-12 education funding ranks 42nd in the nation, so I'm not exactly feeling the love from the anti-tax crowd at any level.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
EFFING BREAK! Sure it's not "rich" but $250K in America will still earn you a very comfortable standard of living considering most Americans make FAR less than that. I agree that these people should not be taxed unfairly and the government needs to go after the celebs, athletes, and rich fooks like Bill Gates and CEO of companies who are making millions of millions hand over fist but don't sit there and act like we should feel sorry for those people making $250K when poverty is going up in America. This country is fast becoming a banana republic. Even the rich are too stupid to realize that it seems like.

Even in the third world state of Kaifornia $250K will provide you with an above average standard of living.
$250k is $120/hr which is $4,800 for the week.

By the time taxes are taken your take home pay is $2,875. That is nice but hardly living rich... out of that $250k the government takes $100k. By the time you pay medical insurance, property taxes and sales taxes there's probably another $25k gone,

Another thing people don't contemplate is most people who earn that amount of money don't have 40 hour work weeks the 50, 60 and 70 hour work week is more the normal so why should they be punished for working harder longer? A doctor for example; they regularly put in 70 hours a week so that $120/hr is really $67/hour and probably less. We have a family friend who is a MD and he always leaves for work at 5:30 to make hospital rounds, is at his office at 9:00 and never gets home before 6:00 making 12 hour days his normal and while he isn't at the office he still makes hospital rounds Saturday and Sunday. No doubt he works 72 hours a week.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
The real point is you really just want to INCREASE taxes on people for some strange and inexplicable reason .... not the corporations that now pay no taxes at all ... but the people you think aren't paying enough.
Companies that DO hire people and create jobs are currently getting tax breaks, so taxing them would be a bad idea. The larger companies need to be penalized for things like outsourcing jobs and violating labor laws.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704392104575475920686869934.html
The proposal, to be laid out Wednesday in a speech in Cleveland, tops a raft of announcements, from a proposed expansion of the research and experimentation tax credit to $50 billion in additional spending on roads, railways and runways.
Companies can now deduct new investment expenses, but over a longer period of time—three to 20 years. The proposed change, which would let companies keep more cash now, is meant to give companies who may be hesitant to invest an incentive to expand, acting as a spur to the overall economy.

Quote:
And for what purposes will this new found monies go? To help pay for Trillions of dollars to be given to Billionaire Bankers who caused the financial meltdown to begin with?
Well these are the exact people who tend to make over $250,000 on their personal taxes but do not own a company. Obviously there needs to be more oversight into the Banking industry, but that can only be funded with MONEY.
Quote:

Or ... is it for more worthwhile programs that help people .... like the almost 1 Million spent to teach uncircumcised African men how to properly wash their "members" after sex?

Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program | CNSnews.com (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/75198 - broken link)
First of all, using propaganda websites like that to defend your position is lame and ineffective. It's all BS and you should try to link objective media outlets. No one can take you seriously otherwise.

But let's get back to your claims. So you don't think it would be beneficial to reduce the number of AIDS cases by educating people so that it does not put a strain on our hospitals?? How much do we spend paying for treatment, medication, hospice, and other services for people dying of AIDS?

Quote:

Or maybe the equally important expenditures like 2.6 Million to teach Chinese Prostitutes how to drink responsibly on the Job?

U.S. Will Pay $2.6 Million to Train Chinese Prostitutes to Drink Responsibly on the Job - BlackListed News (http://blacklistednews.com/news-4209-0-23-23--.html - broken link)
“The purpose of the project is to try and develop an intervention program targeting HIV risk and alcohol use,” Li told CNSNews.com. “So basically, it’s an alcohol and HIV risk reduction intervention project.

Ralph Hingson, director of epidemiology and prevention research at NIAA, told CNSNews.com, “There are many Americans who travel to China each year and they should be made aware of the HIV problem.”

Hingson said that Americans will be able to apply the studies findings to the American situation because 1.2 million Americans are currently living with HIV.
"
Quote:
Quote:
Yes ... little sheeple, you smart little rascals ... this is how your money and MY MONEY is being spent .... blowing up countries ... bailing out Billionaire Bankers ... teaching prostitutes how to stay sober enough to count their tricks ... and teaching grown African men how to wash their dicks!
Oh there are PLENTY of valid programs out there helping the disabled, elderly, and other segments of our population who need a little help to survive.
Quote:

So, no matter how much tax they take from your fellow Americans, you aren't going to see a penny of it ... unless you're a Billionaire Banker, a Chinese Hooker with a drinking problem, or an African man with a dirty pecker.

I don't need to see any of it, I'm doing good. But I would LOVE to know your solution for paying for social services to our needy?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..gotta love how all the left leaning are defining how folks making $250K and above should live, where they should live, where they should shop and how they should manage their finances so they can be taxed more with no problems.

Some of these posts are downright scary....what's next..deciding what salary they SHOULD earn and then take the rest away ?
Seems to me it's the righties on this forum who are whining about COL in various places (low in Omaha, high in NYC); shopping at Target and Wal Mart like it's a badge of honor; having to pay child support (deadbeat dads anyone?). So much empathy has been shown for these poor people who have to pay college tuition, and pay so much for a house that isn't "bland", e.g. 6000 sq. ft on 4 acres (strange definition of bland IMO).

Quote:
You know..the IRS could take 99% of all our money and Congress would still spend twice as much.
Taxing more will NOT solve our nation's problem.

Realize only 53% pay Federal Income taxes..and that figure is a few years old.
Do you think with all the unemployed and chronically underemployed that maybe, just maybe those that don't pay outnumber those that do ? Look at Greece and Cuba..how long do you think we can last with less than 50% of the population paying Fed Income taxes while at the same time extending and expanding the social programs ?
It has already been pointed out that that figure is very misleading.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:09 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Seems to me it's the righties on this forum who are whining about COL in various places (low in Omaha, high in NYC); shopping at Target and Wal Mart like it's a badge of honor; having to pay child support (deadbeat dads anyone?). So much empathy has been shown for these poor people who have to pay college tuition, and pay so much for a house that isn't "bland", e.g. 6000 sq. ft on 4 acres (strange definition of bland IMO).
Seems to me it's the lefties on this forum who are whining about their plight in life and anger towards those who make a great living. And want to punish them thru taxation, and in their mind atleast, even the playing field.

Smells like class envy to me.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
At present, the federal taxes we're talking about are approximately an extra $1300/yr. for those at the $250k income level. My goodness, that's just highway robbery.
Only an EXTRA $1300 ... that's all ... heck .. that's peanuts compared with the 80 grand they are already paying huh?

And how much of that do you think should be allocated to teaching African men to wash their wangers? Roll your eyes, indeed.

Given where the money currently collected is going, not only should taxes not be increased ... we should be refusing to pay a SINGLE PENNY until this nonsense stops entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Meanwhile, Colorado has idiots proposing amendments (60, 61, and proposition 101) that will reduce my school district's budget by 25%. Just for kicks and giggles, I should note that Colorado K-12 education funding ranks 42nd in the nation, so I'm not exactly feeling the love from the anti-tax crowd at any level.
If you were a little more attuned ... you'd recognize that the 25% reduction should be increased to 100%, and that our children would be better off without these state indoctrination centers.

Sorry ... but the school systems of this country are a DISGRACE ..and it doesn't have anything to do with the level of funding ... other than the more funding the greater the disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies