Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Faulty argument. Just because someone is born a certain way does not mean that society must accept it.
YOUR argument is faulty. Of course society should accept anyone that is born in any way, as long as that doesn't cause harm to someone else. Homosexuals aren't hurting anyone. Pedophiles do. And the simple fact that you are comparing them to each other shows your abject ignorance on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM

242 posts, read 315,546 times
.....because they are.

Just admit that this is something you do not (and cannot understand), just as I do. I am not homosexual, but I accept that homosexuals were born that way and that's the end of it.

Being gay is not a lifestyle choice, like being "goth" or being "punk". I'm sure that people don't wake up one day and say "You know what, I'm going to be attracted to men from now on".

Live and let live.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
.....because they are.

Just admit that this is something you do not (and cannot understand), just as I do. I am not homosexual, but I accept that homosexuals were born that way and that's the end of it.

Being gay is not a lifestyle choice, like being "goth" or being "punk". I'm sure that people don't wake up one day and say "You know what, I'm going to be attracted to men from now on".

Live and let live.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:15 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
YOUR argument is faulty. Of course society should accept anyone that is born in any way, as long as that doesn't cause harm to someone else. Homosexuals aren't hurting anyone. Pedophiles do. And the simple fact that you are comparing them to each other shows your abject ignorance on the subject.
It seems I was not clear. Let me explain my post's intent:

OP is stating that society's acceptance of homosexuality mandates future acceptance of other things like pedophilia, incest, bestiality, and necrophilia, using the argument that being born predisposed for a certain behavior means society must accept the behavior.

I am refuting that as a faulty argument. Accepting homosexuality does not logically entail future acceptance of these other things.

I am not equating homosexuality with pedophilia or the other practices.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally do not believe that people are "born" homosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for homosexuality. If people are born gay, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for homosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Homosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.
My wife doesn't like steak. My daughter doesn't like pepper. My son will eat anything that doesn't move....or moves slow enough for him to eat. Hey! That's me. The only thing I don't like is rutabagas. Rutabagas make me puke. Even the smell of a rutabaga is gross. I have no reason I can think of to make me dislike rutabagas so much. Oh yeah, my daughter can't eat an apricot. They make her gag. Guess she was born that way.

What was the question again?

Just look at that....UGH!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
It seems I was not clear. Let me explain my post's intent:

OP is stating that society's acceptance of homosexuality mandates future acceptance of other things like pedophilia, incest, bestiality, and necrophilia, using the argument that being born predisposed for a certain behavior means society must accept the behavior.

I am refuting that as a faulty argument. Accepting homosexuality does not logically entail future acceptance of these other things.

I am not equating homosexuality with pedophilia or the other practices.
Then, please accept my apologies for misconstruing your post.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 PM

242 posts, read 315,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
...I guess my post didn't warrant a proper response?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I came to the born gay(sort of) conclusion since I have yet to see a gay person become straight. There are stories of gays going to pastors to help them get rid of their "sinful" sexual desires, but at the same breath they still have gay thoughts. Plus there are cases of animals being involve in homosexual activity. Since we humans are biologically animals too, then that means we are not immune. Even the mentally challenged can have gay urges.

Also I don't necessarily believe someone is born gay, but rather a person's sexual orientation is determined at an early age when the person develops butterflies for another human being or conscious enough to know the difference between male and female. As humans when we're born, are brains aren't developed enough to know what we like or prefer. I think between the ages 5 and 12 is when most humans know what sex they exclusively like or like best.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-17-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I can give an anecdotal story.

A good friend of mine is a gay man who was raised in a VERY fundamental Christian home. When he came out to his parents, they disowned him, kicked him out of the house and still to this day refuse to speak to him. He was 15 when he came out. He's 28 now and he and his long time partner have a beautiful little girl who will never know her grandparents. The last time he went to his parents house, his father ignored his pleas to talk and backed over him with his truck and drove away without a word.

Yes, my friend obviously chose this.
So who should society pity the most? The man who can accept his own flesh and blood as a human being, or his son who has found a male lover? I vote with the former.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Any thread comparing homosexuality to incest, beastiality, and necrophilia is worth watching. I'm gonna fix me a drink now.
Right there with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies