Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

But it does seem that men in prison can turn to gay realtionships when never gay before i their lifes. basically i really don;t care myslef why a perosn is as he is. If they think that means I approve of gay marriage becuase of this they are flat wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 04:34 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But it does seem that men in prison can turn to gay realtionships when never gay before i their lifes. basically i really don;t care myslef why a perosn is as he is. If they think that means I approve of gay marriage becuase of this they are flat wrong.

"Your side" is never going to have an equal voice in the debate until you can distinguish "sexuality" with "sex acts."

And why does everyone really thing the end game is to gain your "approval?" Close minded people rarely approve of anything other than what they do or like, so it really doesn't matter in the end.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I HAVE asked a psychologist and he said that with the exception of a very few, homosexuals are NOT born that way. It is the result of early molestation. The psychiatric diagnosis being removed was the result of political maneuvering. So now those needing and wanting help find it is not covered by their insurance.That is what I have been told by a PhD Psychologist. Sad.
BS.
There are about 152,000 Psychologists from the American Psychological Association, 38,000 Psychiatrists from the American Psychiatric Association, 60,000 members of the American Academy of Pediatrics, as well as millions of other health professionals and scientists world-wide, as well as 100's of millions of gay people, who would call your "psychologist" ignorant and incompetant. If this person you claim to have spoken to seriously believes that homosexuality is the result of early molestation, he/she should be de-registered for incompetance and should not be allowed to treat any homosexual clients for any reason (or anyone else for that matter).

If this person actually believes that homosexuality was removed from the DSM purely because of "political maneuvering" and had nothing to do with a review of all the empirical data from studies which showed there was no pathology associated with homosexuality, then this "person" is an ignorant conspiracy theorist. Sounds a lot like a member of the "pray away the gay" anti-gay fringe group of religious social convervatives - NARTH. This very small anti-gay propaganda group make a habit of completely misrepresenting anything to do with homosexuality. They also constantly disparage the APA - probably because most of them would not be accepted as professional members and because the APA has shown that that there is zero evidence of any success with their unethical so-called "reparative" therapy (and that it can also be harmful). You'll see lots of anti-APA propaganda on NARTH's website as well as on other anti-gay propaganda websites.
Sad.

From the APA
http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources...ientation.aspx

The facts about homosexuality and mental health:
http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbo...al_health.html

Last edited by Ceist; 10-18-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
For those people who believe that sexual orientation is a "choice", can you please explain this....

Quote:
Current evidence indicates that sexual differentiation of the human brain occurs during fetal and neonatal development and programs our gender identity—our feeling of being male or female and our sexual orientation as hetero-, homo-, or bisexual. This sexual differentiation process is accompanied by many structural and functional brain differences among these groups.
Sexual orientation and its basis in brain structure and function

And please link to any peer-reviewed studies from reputable journals that even suggest that sexual orientation is in any way a choice. I can guarantee you won't find any.

If you can't do this, or can't be bothered spending the time educating yourself on this issue, fine. But how could you expect anyone to take your "opinion" seriously?

Last edited by Ceist; 10-18-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally do not believe that people are "born" homosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for homosexuality. If people are born gay, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for homosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Homosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.
Well it is quite simple:

I myself was born straight. There it is. I did not come to some crossroads where I had to decide if I were gay or straight. Nothing influenced me to be straight as opposed to gay. I was born that way. Then and now, being gay has no appeal whatsoever and nothing could sway me that way.

I also have known plenty of gay people and on occassion I have asked them. They all said they were born that way.

Case closed?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Being in prison is a very abnormal set of circumstances for a human being. I am not being judgemental (I believe in jailing all violent offenders). Rather, I am looking at it from a strict human nature perspective. People put into extraordinary settings or circumstances do extraordinary things.

Besides, such interactions cease immediately upon release from prison. As Tony Soprano said, "You get a pass for that." Its not like prison unlocks some hidden gay passion amongst inmates. It is something that is determined by prison itself. It does not exist prior to or after doing time.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
I am so tired of this. There are two boys that come to mind that I grew up with. Both were always around girls, liked girl toys and would even wear dresses if allowed. Both tried to change in high school and date girls. Both came out of the closet and are gay. There were no surprises.

I also have an Uncle that was gay. He tried to commit suicide at 15, eventually married a woman and had a son but later divorced her and came out the closet. He was gay the entire time. He never stopped liking boys, just tried to please his family. None of these people chose to be gay. People kill themselves over this because of the intolerant attitude and discrimination that they know they will have to face upon coming out. I can't believe how narrow-minded some people are.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
These are such tired old arguments, and they're not even very good arguments. You're comparing nonconsensual sex with children and animals to consensual sex between adults.
The OP listed sexual practices and the relevant point is they all are about sexual desire. Consent is irrelevant to desire, only to legality and morality. If one can be born with a homosexual desire, as is your belief, then it is a legitimate question to ask why one cannot be born with some other desire, such as pedophilia, necrophilia, etc. You cannot answer this basic question so your only choice is to dismiss the question and hope it goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I can give an anecdotal story.

A good friend of mine is a gay man who was raised in a VERY fundamental Christian home. When he came out to his parents, they disowned him, kicked him out of the house and still to this day refuse to speak to him. He was 15 when he came out. He's 28 now and he and his long time partner have a beautiful little girl who will never know her grandparents. The last time he went to his parents house, his father ignored his pleas to talk and backed over him with his truck and drove away without a word.

Yes, my friend obviously chose this.
No, he did not choose it, nor was her born gay. He is gay because he failed at one of life's developmental stages "Identity vs Role Confusion". Erik Erikson Stages of Development

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
^ A Freudian disciple?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Just because Hollywood decides it's ok doesn't make it so
Hollywood was at least 30 years behind the gay rights movement. I don't think there were any regular gay characters on TV until the mid to late 1990s. I remember that Melrose Place would not even show a gay kiss -- Melrose Place! Where all the residents 'got it on' with each other. Hollywood really didn't produce a mainstream gay movie with major stars until Brokeback Mountain in 2005. Haven't seen much more since. There are still a lot of stars in the closet.

Your assertion is a total failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies