Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:53 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Hollywood was at least 30 years behind the gay rights movement. I don't think there were any regular gay characters on TV until the mid to late 1990s. I remember that Melrose Place would not even show a gay kiss -- Melrose Place! Where all the residents 'got it on' with each other. Hollywood really didn't produce a mainstream gay movie with major stars until Brokeback Mountain in 2005. Haven't seen much more since. There are still a lot of stars in the closet.

Your assertion is a total failure.
The very funny sitcom spoof of the late 1970s, "Soap", featured none other than Billy Crystal playing a gay man.

But I see your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
No, he did not choose it, nor was her born gay. He is gay because he failed at one of life's developmental stages "Identity vs Role Confusion". Erik Erikson Stages of Development
Not only is that theory a bunch of BS, it's comments like yours that contribute to the high number of gay teen suicides.

If you want to dismiss the consensus opinions about homosexuality among mental health professionals, that's your choice, but everyone else should understand that your opinions are not based on credible studies.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Not only is that theory a bunch of BS, it's comments like yours that contribute to the high number of gay teen suicides.

If you want to dismiss the consensus opinions about homosexuality among mental health professionals, that's your choice, but everyone else should understand that your opinions are not based on credible studies.
Erikson studied under Freuds daughter Anna. The Freudian style of psychiatry was last used in when, the 50s?
Cant believe the poster used a 50something year old study to bolster his argument.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally do not believe that people are "born" homosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for homosexuality. If people are born gay, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for homosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Homosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.
Because I am heterosexual...and I don't remember making a CHOICE to be that way. It just is what it is. Likewise, I don't think that gays make a choice either. They're simply attracted to who they are attracted to. It is what it is.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.
My certainty is not absolute. However, like you, I have a 'feeling' about it and it is this:

Why would one choose a life knowing and fully aware that he (or she) would be subject to discrimination, harassment, physical harm (or death), ridicule, jokes, etc. from all quarters? Why would one want to live in a world where he is a minority who cannot enjoy some of the rights and liberties enjoyed by heterosexual individuals? Or, if they are 'in the closet', why would one want to live a life where he was dishonest with himself, family, friends, etc. If one is in the closet, why deny oneself happiness by pretending to be straight when one is not? Why choose such a difficult path? Why choose such punishment? What is the rationale for doing so? What is there to gain? It is not as if homosexuals enjoy an elevated status above heterosexuals (in most if not all situations) with more rights, more privileges, or anything of substance.

Who chooses such a life?

I don't think homosexuals choose to be homosexual. It is contrary to self-preservation and is illogical.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,991 times
Default NEWSFLASH: NO scientific proof of being born gay!

Look I could care less one way or the other but I have to call BS when I see it. Anytime someone on here says anything negative about gays or about it being a choice there will be a snarky comment about science. Last I checked there was NO scientific proof that people are born gay OR are not born gay. Bottomline is that NO scientific data exist to proof or disprove this arguement. Also dont come at with this medical journal said this or this Doctor said that. Once again NO verifiable proof exist.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Is there proof that people are born heterosexual or made heterosexual?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Look I could care less one way or the other but I have to call BS when I see it. Anytime someone on here says anything negative about gays or about it being a choice there will be a snarky comment about science. Last I checked there was NO scientific proof that people are born gay OR are not born gay. Bottomline is that NO scientific data exist to proof or disprove this arguement. Also dont come at with this medical journal said this or this Doctor said that. Once again NO verifiable proof exist.
If there is no scientific proof either way, then why bring it up on a political forum at all? Bottom line, what's your point?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
No, there's no proof, but there is growing evidence that suggests sexual orientation is determined in the womb. At the very least, the consensus is that it's determined for most people by a very young age.

What's disturbing is that there are still those who insist that some people willfully choose to have homosexual attractions - even though they're truly heterosexuals - or that same-sex attractions are a result of a mental illness.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Sexuality might not be set at the moment of birth (although most scientific evidence points in that direction), but there is certainly 0% choice in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies