Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
well there you go!
no need for studies and research

You have a feeling.
Lol, that sounds like an old, superstitious yenta, doesnt it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
My best friend is gay. There were 7 children in his family. No divorce, the same biological parents until they died, when the children were all well into adulthood.

Two boys gay, two boys straight, three girls straight.

He feels he was born homosexual and I agree with him.

He told me he was always attracted to males, however, he did not want to be different so he dated girls and got married. When his wife started to talk about having children, he decided the right thing to do was to tell her the truth and divorce her. This happened in their early twentys. His wife did not want the divorce even when he told her he was gay. He insisted on the divorce and she went on to remarry and have children. She lives across the country, but her family is still here. My friend is very close to her family to this day. In fact, he calls her mother, Mom.

He found his SO and they have been together for over 30 years.

I firmly believe homosexuals are born that way.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I asked you to define what a mental disorder is generally, not what broader category of mental disorder you believe homosexuality falls into.

I asked what I did for a reason. You don't seem to know what a mental disorder is. The most accepted definition of "mental disorder" or "mental illness" is a condition effecting a person's thinking or feeling such that it prevents or diminishes his or her ability to relate to others or preform daily functions.

So again, how does homosexuality prevent or diminish the afflicted homosexual from relating to others or preforming normal functions? If it doesn't, then it's NOT A MENTAL DISORDER. It's just a different type of person.

In doing so, they reference a mountain of scientific, clinical, and medical evidence.

There's tons of evidence that homosexuality is 100% biologically determined (in other words no choice) - in fact just about ALL the evidence supports that (more specifically a multigenetic basis greatly influenced by environmental factors such as hormonal exposure in the womb). You're correct in the sense that there's no certainty as to exactly when it become biologically set (in the womb, at birth, a few months old, etc, etc).

I didn't call you a name.
Like i said, you can believe whateveryou want, I'm not trying to change your mind and I stand there is no proof other than opinion and Theory that anyone is born homosexual.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Faulty argument. Just because someone is born a certain way does not mean that society must accept it.

It really does not matter whether gays are born that way or not, our society is getting to where the general consensus is that we should not discriminate against gays. The rest of your examples will not need to follow because of it. At one time, society deemed women too frail and illogical to vote - should we have said "if women can have the vote, who's to say we won't be accepting necrophilia tomorrow?"

If someone were born a psychotic with murderous desires, it does not follow that society will have to accept their way of living (killing) just because the person was born that way.

If you want to know why homosexuality is not considered a mental disorder, there is plenty of expert material online, or you could ask a psychologist or physician.
I HAVE asked a psychologist and he said that with the exception of a very few, homosexuals are NOT born that way. It is the result of early molestation. The psychiatric diagnosis being removed was the result of political maneuvering. So now those needing and wanting help find it is not covered by their insurance.That is what I have been told by a PhD Psychologist. Sad.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I can give an anecdotal story.

A good friend of mine is a gay man who was raised in a VERY fundamental Christian home. When he came out to his parents, they disowned him, kicked him out of the house and still to this day refuse to speak to him. He was 15 when he came out. He's 28 now and he and his long time partner have a beautiful little girl who will never know her grandparents. The last time he went to his parents house, his father ignored his pleas to talk and backed over him with his truck and drove away without a word.

Yes, my friend obviously chose this.
Religion is wonderful, isn't it?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Which few aren't? What are those few born as? Why are they born the way they are? What's your evidence?

Can you offer a theory or hypothesis as to how such things change a person so that he or she converts from being heterosexual or "normal" (you did say nearly all people are born heterosexual) into a homosexual? In other words, what biological mechanism changes a personal from desiring men to desiring women (or vice-versa)? Is such a change permantent, or can it be reversed?

First, would you please define what you mean by mental disorder.

How does the mental disorder of homosexuality prevent or diminish the ability of homosexuals to relate to others or performing normal daily functions?

If it is in fact a mental disorder, does that justify discrimination?
Quote:
I asked you to define what a mental disorder is generally, not what broader category of mental disorder you believe homosexuality falls into.

I asked what I did for a reason. You don't seem to know what a mental disorder is. The most accepted definition of "mental disorder" or "mental illness" is a condition effecting a person's thinking or feeling such that it prevents or diminishes his or her ability to relate to others or preform daily functions.

So again, how does homosexuality prevent or diminish the afflicted homosexual from relating to others or preforming normal functions? If it doesn't, then it's NOT A MENTAL DISORDER. It's just a different type of person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Like i said, you can believe whateveryou want, I'm not trying to change your mind and I stand there is no proof other than opinion and Theory that anyone is born homosexual.
I think your inability to answer simple, direct questions is very telling about the foundation of your beliefs.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I HAVE asked a psychologist and he said that with the exception of a very few, homosexuals are NOT born that way. It is the result of early molestation. The psychiatric diagnosis being removed was the result of political maneuvering. So now those needing and wanting help find it is not covered by their insurance.That is what I have been told by a PhD Psychologist. Sad.
Total BS conspiracy theory.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
You asked a total quack apparently.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
it still has not been proven that homosexuals are born that way. say what you want its still not a proven fact.
Try coming up with proof that you were born straight? Good luck with that one. There is no more proof that one is born gay then there is that one is born straight. So if you claim being gay is a choice, then so is being straight. Duh!! Or would you like to come up with some convoluted reasoning that supports your straight biased opinion. Come on lets see it.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 PM

It's so obvious that some people are just completely uneducated and/or ignorant about this subject. They come up with their own ridiculous theories and then spout them off, oblivious to the fact that their ideas were debunked long ago. I pity them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies