Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Non-sense.
The is a huge difference between being gay and having recreational sex with the same sex.
Actually, I think that having sex with the same gender pretty much IS the definition of homosexual. (OK, technically, its WANTING to have sex with the same gender but actually having it voluntarily, implies wanting it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I know this is genetic. Our family realizes that it is genetic. We have proof.
I guess you don't believe in Darwin's fairy tale of evolution then. Any 'gay' gene or genes would be highly recessive and certain to be bread out as counter productive to the survival of the species. You can't have homosexuality being genetic and also be a Darwiniack. Chose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Everyone has emotional or psychological things that factor into their sexuality. Sexuality is defined by many things, but that doesn't mean that whatever results from it is a choice. For example, some people are born with a disability, and some people acquire a disability later in life due to environmental causes, and some people have a disability that is partially biological, partially environmental. But that doesn't make their disability any more of a choice than those who are born with the same disability. The same goes for homosexuality. Even if it is environmental or psychological, in whole or in part, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a choice.
It's not a choice when it causes you emotional and psychological pain to deny who you are, and social, legal and economic consequences to reveal who you are. If you are heterosexual could be imagine living in a world where your attraction for women was ridiculed and open to scorn? I bet that still wouldn't change the fact you were attracted to women and only wanted to be involved in sexual and/or romantic relationships with women.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
[ I injured my left elbow when lifting weights yesterday. It's just a strain and I'll be alright in a day or two, but for right now it kind of hurts to hold my forearm over a keyboard. (I'm typing right now with one hand.) Anyhow, I've decided to patch-and-paste a number posts that say what I'd say, if healthy. So thanks to those other posters for their contributions. You guys can paste some of my posts sometime, if you find something you like and don't mind misspellings and/or sentences with double negatives. ]

It really does not matter whether gays are born that way or not, our society is getting to where the general consensus is that we should not discriminate against gays. The rest of your examples will not need to follow because of it. At one time, society deemed women too frail and illogical to vote - should we have said "if women can have the vote, who's to say we won't be accepting necrophilia tomorrow?"

If someone were born a psychotic with murderous desires, it does not follow that society will have to accept their way of living (killing) just because the person was born that way.

If you want to know why homosexuality is not considered a mental disorder, there is plenty of expert material online, or you could ask a psychologist or physician.

So why aren't premarital sex or oral sex considered deviant any more? Could it be because they are prized sexual practices of the dominant culture?

Why don't you rail against those too, since they aren't missionary-style heterosexual married vaginal sex for the purpose of procreation? Failure to do so would be quite hypocritical of you.

#1. Pedophiles and gay people have nothing to do with each other. At least understand that.

#2. I know gay people are born that way because I knew I was attracted to women before I even knew what 'gay' was or that it was wrong or different or abnormal (I was 4 and in kindergarten).

Given my ideal childhood with no 'trauma' or hateful men (actually, I had many positive and loving male AND female role models), I can see no other reason than I WAS BORN THAT WAY.
My wife has a similar story.

YOUR argument is faulty. Of course society should accept anyone that is born in any way, as long as that doesn't cause harm to someone else. Homosexuals aren't hurting anyone. Pedophiles do. And the simple fact that you are comparing them to each other shows your abject ignorance on the subject.

Just admit that this is something you do not (and cannot understand), just as I do. I am not homosexual, but I accept that homosexuals were born that way and that's the end of it.

Being gay is not a lifestyle choice, like being "goth" or being "punk". I'm sure that people don't wake up one day and say "You know what, I'm going to be attracted to men from now on".

Live and let live.

As I asked another poster who insists on labeling homosexuality as unnatural - so what if it is? I don't personally label it as such, just to be clear. But so what? And so what if the person wasn't born that way, but instead something happened in nature or nurture that turned them that way? It's clear that whatever the cause, most people know what gender they are attracted to by the time they develop sexual attraction. It's not something they are free to change or switch back to their "born straight" condition (if that were even the case). Shouldn't we still treat them decently?

Do people who insist on these arguments wish to institutionalize gays? Stigmatize them? Just what is their motive with their "gays aren't born that way" argument?

Were you born closed-minded and ignorant or did you learn it?

The reason why homosexuality is no longer considered sexual deviance is because as society we evlove and learn.

Did you take sociology courses? If so you might remember that left handed people were once thought to be evil and/or wrong and schools attempted to change them. We have evolved since then, and we are still evolving.

Propagation of the human species does not "prove" anything about sexual orientation. Nothing is nature is 100% absolute. Homosexuality has existed forever, as far as we know, and the human race has survived just fine.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
it still has not been proven that homosexuals are born that way. say what you want its still not a proven fact.
What difference does that really make. How does somebody being a homosexual infringe upon your rights as an American?

Heterosexual people are attracted to the opoposite sex because they get sexual, emotional and psychological satisfaction.

Homosexual people are attracted to the same sex because they get sexual, emotional and psychological satisfaction.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I HAVE asked a psychologist and he said that with the exception of a very few, homosexuals are NOT born that way. It is the result of early molestation. The psychiatric diagnosis being removed was the result of political maneuvering. So now those needing and wanting help find it is not covered by their insurance.That is what I have been told by a PhD Psychologist. Sad.
One psychologist does not constitute a the basis of the proof of a theory. He also doesn't take into account that there some some homosexuals that were NEVER molested as children.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 10-18-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's so obvious that some people are just completely uneducated and/or ignorant about this subject. They come up with their own ridiculous theories and then spout them off, oblivious to the fact that their ideas were debunked long ago. I pity them.
This is America are you suprised?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Wrong. Nature's number 1 goal is SPECIES PRESERVATION. Do you know how to go about ensuring that? Yep, you guessed it. REPRODUCTION! Tell me one species on the planet that is not interested in reproduction and I will point out that same species on the extinct chart.
All species have a significant most of their population interested in SEX. A significant portion of these sexual relationships are heterosexual relationships. But scientists have also observed various animal species where a portion of the population engages in same sex relationships.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
You're kidding right? It's one thing to patronize the poster but to say something so dumb is another. If human beings were not heterosexual from birth our species would die off. So yes there is PROOF people are born heterosexual. There is a reason why women have higher amounts of estrogen and men have higher amounts of testosterone. To distinguish between genders. Are you going to argue there really isn't much difference between a man and woman except what's between their legs?

Like someone else said does it really matter? I mean so what if homosexuals are born that way or it's a lifestyle choice due to years and years of sexual, verbal, abuse lack of a father figure etc. How would either change anything? Homosexuality has been around as long as mankind probably. The only thing that is changing is society's acceptance of it as normal. I can honestly say I've NEVER met a gay man or a gay woman personally who hasn't had some sort of traumatic childhood wrought with emotional, sexual, or physical abuse on some level. Most of us have to some degree and some haven't. I work with two gay guys............both come from very screwed up backgrounds. Sexual abuse.

I don't know I don't try to understand the whole homosexual issue. But what is society going to do? Quarantine gays? Who cares what causes it or why people are gay. They are human beings and should be treated as such. The are many more important things to worry about in the coming years for humanity than what two grown up adults do behind closed doors with each other. And hell the greatest testament to either argument is gay people having kids. If homosexuality is in fact psychological then all gay people's kids will grow up gay. If it is genetic then they wont. Time will tell right? And we can put an end to this nonsense and move on as a species maybe?

Ellen Degeneres would be just as annoying and idiotic if she was or wasn't gay

How could anyone not like Ellen?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineTime View Post
So, I think, if any homo sexual person wanted to change, they could take hormones. This is not to offend anyone gay. Just my theory, based on what I have read and heard on shows. Respectfully submitted. Thanks.
Wrong. Do you really think that hasn't been tried already?

My goodness.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Ask any scientist eh? I seriously doubt you've asked any scientist anything in your entire life. Homosexuality is detrimental to a species when it reaches high percentages. But it has never happened. That's why it is not natural. If it was natural, there would be a way for homosexuals to reproduce, but.... There isn't. So if there is no way for a homosexual to reproduce, please tell me how homosexuality is healthy for a species.
Such confusion, ignorance, and denial. I can't help you. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies