Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flordbliss View Post
interesting you ask... i have been checking on this for quite some time and have been interviewing gay men for about 9 years now and 99.9% i have asked, all of them had been sexually molested as children, the other percent denied any sexual abuse.
I call BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
honestly i've heard that molested thing before. dont know about the percentages listed there, but i have heard that before.
That's because the anti-gay religious right groups keep spreading that little piece of misinformation all over the place.... as well as a lot of other BS negative stereotypes.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
i've interviewed countless gay men for about 18 years now and 113% I have asked had been sexually molested as children. the rest denied any sexual abuse.

strange that we got different results.
I can beat that. I've interviewed 1000's of straight men for about 92 years now and 150% of them said that they had had sex with a tree. The rest admitted to abusing the shrubbery.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I really don't care how they came into being.

I just don't want them pushing their sexuality and habits in my face, nor demanding my children and grandchildren be taught that lifestyle/choice/persuasion or whatever the hell it's being called these days. If one wishes to accept that they can do so when they're older and make decisions without the indoctrination being preached in schools now.

Now, many of ya'll can twist and read into that whatever you will. Because we KNOW some of you will.
Indoctrination? Try tolerance.

I'm the proud sister of a gay man, and aunt to a lesbian. They've always known that they were gay, they don't shove their lifestyle on anyone, and they're pretty much the same as you. Except they're open minded and accepting of the differences in people.

If you want to weigh in on this subject, have some original thoughts instead of parroting the same old crap.

Honey, that dog's just too damn old to hunt anymore.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I can beat that. I've interviewed 1000's of straight men for about 92 years now and 150% of them said that they had had sex with a tree. The rest admitted to abusing the shrubbery.
I'll never look at wood the same way again! Ooooh the horror!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
READ THE LINKS......For God's sake our country is so UNEDUCATED.... the Mental crap you ramble on about was settled over 3 DECADES ago...... IN the GAY'S FAVOR...GET OVER IT!!!!!!

Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality.

Posts like yours are contributing to the increase in young gay suicides and their blood is on YOUR HANDS!.

I knew it would not take long for someone to suggest I was uneducated or in some way intellectually inferior. As a conservative with traditional values I am used to that response from those who claim to be more "tolerant and progressive". You leave me these links to read regarding the APAs acceptance of homosexuallity. In one of the links it describes how the APA delisted homosexuality as a mental disorder back in 1973. Hippie era protests were continuously disrupting the meetings of the APA because of its listing as a mental disorder of that time, along with the fact that members of the APA who were homosexual were working inside the system to have it removed from the list of mental disorders. It sounds as if the APA delisted it because it had become a huge distraction to face the protesters, and science played little part in the decision. It was not study, or hard science that led to the acceptance but political pressure from hippie era protesters. This fact makes APA acceptance worth nothing. All you have proved is something many of us already know. Liberal activist do succed sometimes simply by making themselves loud and forceful. This does not bring true acceptance, but gives them a sense of victory. Its kind of like giving the screaming toddler his candy in order to make him stop. I wonder if you really read the links, because in my opinion that link weakend your argument. You want everyone to believe that science says homosexuality is not a mental disorder, but the APA only came to that decision by the screaming voices of hippie protesters in 1973. Hardly science.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
The sexual abuse argument fails because:

1) A lot of heterosexual people are molested as children and grow up still being heterosexual.
2) A lot of gay people aren't molested as children and still grow up being gay.
3) Some people who have been molested might not feel comfortable enough to say they have been.
4) Some people who have been abused may not remember it.
5) Sexual abuse isn't about orientation, it's about an abuse of power. Many times abuse happens in a way that isn't in line with either the abuser's or abused person's sexual orientation.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Oh my you have a degree, your so smart and I'm so impressed you have a degree and no common sense, I read your links, there is not one shread of evidence you Homosexuals are born that way, it's theory and opinion, that degree didn't help you any.

Theory and opinion is exactly what your belief is...you have absolutely no evidence that homosexuals were not born that way.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You are always barking about wanting gays to come up with evidence that they were born gay. Well we have yet to see you come up with any solid proof that you were born heterosexual. All you have is your belief and that is all.
That is because they say being born Homosexual is a fact and there is proof, my view is my belief and opinion, I'm not trying to make anyone change their mind I allow others to think as they want but at the same time if someone says their view is a fact then prove it, I never used to ask for proof until I was bombarded with the whole post a link thing so i just reversed it on the ones who did it to me.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I'm still trying to figure out why it would matter either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies