Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I am not "making things up" or pretending something is real. The ones who are pretending are those who think we exist for only 70 or 80 years compared to an eternity. You will see when your times comes, which hopefully won't be for quite a while.

Some people go through severe challenges. There are several reasons why. They may have been a murderer in a previous life or they have need a learning experience. Sometimes it's to save other lives. For instance, let's say a man gets run over by a drunk driver and is killed. Of course, that is a terrible thing which happens but since the drunk driver is in jail, it may have prevented him killing even more people if he didn't hit that man.
Aahh...Karma...reincarnation. Not my cup of tea.

As far as I know, atheism is not an official religion. Humanism is and insofar as those two overlap in their beliefs, it might be said to be partially official.

I've always found it curious how atheists can declare with absolute certainty that there is no God. Agnostics, I understand. I was one for years. But, my search had positive results, maybe because I actually allowed that there was a possibility that there is a God.

One cannot find that which one emphatically denies exists.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, is this true? They really have billboards like that?
Oh yes. They're all over the I-70 and I-80 corridors in the midwest states. The bible belt xians love to bleat their message of hate, fear, and punishment to every single person driving through their godforsaken flatlands.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Aahh...Karma...reincarnation. Not my cup of tea.

As far as I know, atheism is not an official religion. Humanism is and insofar as those two overlap in their beliefs, it might be said to be partially official.

I've always found it curious how atheists can declare with absolute certainty that there is no God. Agnostics, I understand. I was one for years. But, my search had positive results, maybe because I actually allowed that there was a possibility that there is a God.

One cannot find that which one emphatically denies exists.
I assume that you find it even more curious as to how theists are able declare with absolute certainty that there is a God?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I assume that you find it even more curious as to how theists are able declare with absolute certainty that there is a God?
So, if you think neither group can be absolutely certain, why is it such an issue. One day we will all know who was right.

I'm all for personal choice here. I choose to believe and those who choose not to believe, don't. If someone isn't sure, I'm glad to share what I know and believe. But, if they are adamant there is no God, they are free to make that choice. God has granted us free will and allows us to make our own choices. God does not force it, neither should believers. It is our job to share the Gospel, it is His job to do the saving.

Scripture says that no one can come to God unless God draws the person. I don't know enough about the doctrine of predestination (which some believe), but I'd say if you're not drawn to at least find out about God, then maybe you're one of those who will never be drawn. And, if you have been drawn and have made the choice to reject, you can always change your mind (as long as you have breath, so to speak).

Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
I've always found it curious how atheists can declare with absolute certainty that there is no God.
What a goofy comment. Atheists rarely "declare with absolute certainty that there is no God." They instead declare with absolute certainty that they do not believe in a God. It requires no extraordinary powers to absolutely know what you do or do not believe.

But that said... while it is certainly an impossible task to disprove the existence of a god, it is a much more manageable task to disprove certain specific sectarian versions of god.

For example, the god of the Bible is internally contradictory and self refuting. So he can be disproved.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What a goofy comment. Atheists rarely "declare with absolute certainty that there is no God." They instead declare with absolute certainty that they do not believe in a God. It requires no extraordinary powers to absolutely know what you do or do not believe.
Splitting hairs, I see.

The atheists I've met (and read about) maintain that there is no God (precisely *because* they do not believe).

Why would they say there might be a God while declaring "with absolute certainty that they do not believe in a God."

That's absolutely goofy reasoning.

Of course they deny the existence of God because, for them, there is no God.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,568 times
Quote:
So, if you think neither group can be absolutely certain, why is it such an issue. One day we will all know who was right.

I'm all for personal choice here. I choose to believe and those who choose not to believe, don't. If someone isn't sure, I'm glad to share what I know and believe. But, if they are adamant there is no God, they are free to make that choice. God has granted us free will and allows us to make our own choices. God does not force it, neither should believers. It is our job to share the Gospel, it is His job to do the saving.

Scripture says that no one can come to God unless God draws the person. I don't know enough about the doctrine of predestination (which some believe), but I'd say if you're not drawn to at least find out about God, then maybe you're one of those who will never be drawn. And, if you have been drawn and have made the choice to reject, you can always change your mind (as long as you have breath, so to speak).
Spare me the Saviour rhetoric would you. Coming from a Catholic family, I can assure you that I am all too familiar with this "god" you speak of. I respect your compassion, but I don't think it is possible for someone who has liberated themselves from the chains of subservience to go back to their old ways. I would never wish the indoctrination I received as a child upon anyone else, but to each his own. If believing in some old guy in the sky helps you sleep at night, then all of the world to you. The problem I have is with people like the OP who somehow think that religion should be free from criticism...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Spare me the Saviour rhetoric would you. Coming from a Catholic family, I can assure you that I am all too familiar with this "god" you speak of. I respect your compassion, but I don't think it is possible for someone who has liberated themselves from the chains of subservience to go back to their old ways. I would never wish the indoctrination I received as a child upon anyone else, but to each his own. If believing in some old guy in the sky helps you sleep at night, then all of the world to you. The problem I have is with people like the OP who somehow think that religion should be free from criticism...
Sorry to hear of your bad experiences in Catholicism. You are not alone. I've heard many such over the years, and it's regrettable. I'm not RC and wouldn't want to be. God isn't RC either, btw.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And yet, they are always not near death when they are telling their stories.
And that's why they are called "OBE."

Quote:
5-year-olds make up things they do not know all the time. Sometimes they are even right. Blind squirrel. Occasional nut. You know the drill.
They don't all make up things. For instance, the 5-year-old I referred to a few pages back.

Quote:
I would? Sorry.... I raised a few of 'em. It can be very, very hard to tell.
It's really quite simple... if they say something they could not possibly no nothing about, like maybe a relative who was in jail 50 years before he was born, it's very easy to tell.

Quote:
That is why people want so badly to believe in an afterlife.
Of course. It would be terrible to believe that after a short 70 or 80 years (short compared to eternity), we don't exist at all and will never reunite with our loved ones. This is essentially what non-believers think will happen to them. Depressing when you think about it, isn't it?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's all about hate, these people hate Christians, Muslims, Jews, pretty much anyone who believes in a religion, but especially Christians.
i wonder.??? how many of all those holiday tramplers are thinking about>> "jesus" when they rush the doors at wall mart, to save a few bucks when buying another material piece of crap manufactured with slave labor in china or some other country..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies