Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Nothing personal but...What planet are you on????
I thankfully enough am employed in a great job. But I know a few people who have been looking and collecting unemployment- First off these people are not looking for handouts Do you realize when there is an opening for a qualified position you have hundreds of applicants? forget associates, bachellors you have people who have masters and years of experience. Some companies Hire right out of college now because they can start them with less money. Second, who are you to say if you are 59 you should be close to retirement and if you do not have enough savings you didnt live your life right? Were you not aware that a couple of years ago people who had nice size 401k's plummetted????? My boyfriend lost over One hundred thousand alone in his, thankfully he is pretty well off. I know quite a few that were devastated by this, they were hard workers for years and THOUGHT they were doing the right thing & would be able to retire comfortably.
Were you not aware that unless you were a complete MORON and cashed out your 401(k), you didn't actually lose anything except on paper, and that your 401(k) has swelled back up again? The Dow is sitting at 11-5 right now. The S&P is pushing 1250. Quit using that as an excuse. If your boyfriend lost over a hundred thousand, then he was stupid to cash it out - although I think he didn't really lose anything, you just like saying that "at one point" he was down X dollars while conveniently leaving out where it's at now.

Hell, people who saw their 401(k)'s plummet in value didn't even have to do anything to "recoup" the money. All they had to do was sit and wait. Anybody who couldn't sit and wait and sold at the bottom? There's a phrase for those people: Payout wizards. They're suckers, and they deserve what they get if they're that stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Simple and wrong.
Please explain.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Oh please- dont know why you have "boyfried" in quotes. But dont assume who were the smart ones. And honey not all recouped - some people had large amounts of money invested and didnt recoup their loss. So please give it a rest.
Diversification is the key word. Also remember that the stock market is meant for long-term investment, not short-term gains. He should have left his money in the market, history shows he would have gained again, even if it did take a bit of time.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
1st, last, deposit ONLY. I live in Santa Barbara, CA.

If I added in the moving van and all the various small things it would be more.
Arguably, if the person is relocating for a job, they likely will not move somewhere that has that high of a cost of living. It's not exactly a good financial strategy. Also, not all places require last (ours didn't).

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Just a note on the stuff you drink to get a clean test, yes they do work very well. You drink the stuff before you take the test (which is taken at the doc office) and then you have a clean drug test.
I imagine you have personal experience, yes? I have never once heard anybody have anything positive to say about the cleaner kits. I have no personal experience with it, so I'll take your word for it that they can work sometimes. It's not fail-proof in any way, though.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Unfortunately there are ways around the tests besides the cleaning kits, though I've heard that some work pretty well. People can buy clean urine on the internet or get it from a friend, with little belts and stuff that they use to attach it to themselves. The only way around it would be to have someone standing there and watching them pee. Do you really want the government to be able to do that? And then it would open up other people who have to be tested for work having to endure the same treatment. There has to be a better way than forcing people to go pee in front of others, but it's the only way to make 100% sure that the person isn't cheating.

Pass a Drug Test Transporter Kits - The reliable way to Pass a Urine Test.

This is an example of what I mean. Druggies know about these and use them all the time.
LOL I have actually been in that situation where I was taking a drug test and the lady was standing outside the door, basically watching me through the crack in the stall door. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Even if she hadn't been peeking through the crack, she would have heard everything I was doing. I imagine using someone else's pee via a bag taped to your leg would make at least some kind of noise.

I have to say, the fake penis kit ($190) on that site is laughable and is not even for sale in like 1/4 of states. The freeze-dried urine packets are also amusing. I'm sure people use those things, I'm not doubting that. I just think it's harder to fake than these sites make it out to be. The chances of getting caught are high.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
You looked at the fake penis? I missed that one.

I don't see why it would make any more noise than the normal undressing involved. I haven't had to take a test for quite some time...a few years ago I did for some part time off season work, and though I didn't need to fake it, I could see how it would be easy enough to do. It was in one of those labs that specialize in that sort of thing and there weren't stalls or anything; it was just a normal restroom. I would have decided the job wasn't worth it if some bathroom Nazi had been peering at me through a crack in the door or putting their ear up to it---and what are they doing to do if they hear something "suspicious"...bust down the door? I'd sue the crap out them if something like that happened.

I've also never heard of an employer requiring the applicant to foot the cost of the drug testing...why should the unemployed have to do so? How is that fair to the person who lost their job through no fault of their own and doesn't use drugs?

I think that in theory it isn't a terrible idea but the problems involved in the implimentation are too high a cost for our society to pay.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Were you not aware that unless you were a complete MORON and cashed out your 401(k), you didn't actually lose anything except on paper, and that your 401(k) has swelled back up again? The Dow is sitting at 11-5 right now. The S&P is pushing 1250. Quit using that as an excuse. If your boyfriend lost over a hundred thousand, then he was stupid to cash it out - although I think he didn't really lose anything, you just like saying that "at one point" he was down X dollars while conveniently leaving out where it's at now.

Hell, people who saw their 401(k)'s plummet in value didn't even have to do anything to "recoup" the money. All they had to do was sit and wait. Anybody who couldn't sit and wait and sold at the bottom? There's a phrase for those people: Payout wizards. They're suckers, and they deserve what they get if they're that stupid.
exactly and if you bought at 6k like the beginning of 09, you have nearly doubled your money already

I satrted putting into my 401k , the dow was still at 2k (mid-late 80's)

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Oh please- dont know why you have "boyfried" in quotes. But dont assume who were the smart ones. And honey not all recouped - some people had large amounts of money invested and didnt recoup their loss. So please give it a rest.
I have 'boyfriend' in quotes, because it is just that a 'boyfriend' therefore TEMPORARY

and dont tell me people havent recouped..they ONLY way you could not have recouped,,would be if you were to cash out...and 99% would not

Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
I watched the 60 Minutes episode about the 99ers and one thing that was overlooked is how these people did everything but MOVE! There was a lady that was a former executive in the Bay area. She had no house, kids or husband that was tied down to the area. She was renting a room in a house from an acquaintance. Sorry but no one was forcing this lady to live in the Bay area, one of the most saturated job markets in the world combined with one of the highest cost of living. I see that a lot. People would rather be unemployed for 2 years in California than move to Texas or some other part of the country to work. That is the real problem. I see the same thing in Arizona. People would rather be unemployed and looking for work so just they can remain in Phoenix rather than moving out of state to an area with a better job market.

The other problem I see is that people would rather be unemployed rather than work in a lower stature and paying job. Too many people think that because they were some sales executive during the height of the economy they are entitled to that type of job now. Some people need a reality check and need to start working wherever they can get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies