Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should religious organizations lose their tax exempt status?
Yes 47 68.12%
No 20 28.99%
Not Sure 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So all religious organizations should lose their tax-exempt status? Or just the ones you personally dislike?
all of them...
I just used mormons as an example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I wasn't sure, because the church has a "business arm" to it, and they claimed that no money from tithing went towards City Creek development, and that no tithing money went towards prop 8.. which of course are lies.. whether the money came from investment, the initial income of it all started and continues with tithing..

Some mormons state that there's a difference between the church's business that already pays taxes and it's church/humanitarian efforts so therefore the tithing they pay shouldn't be taxed..because somehow it's separate.
But it's not.. I just wasn't sure where u stood on that

tithing goes to both.. and because it isn't just humanitarian it should be taxed
Most mormons I speak with say that because the church SAYS all tithing goes to humanitarian efforts it should not be taxed..
Do you have proof of the church's use of tithing on business purposes? If not, than I'd say that the business part does not receive money from tithing. Without that proof, the rest of your argument is less sturdy. I understand taxing business aspects of church, and also political if necessary, but I don't understand what you mean by taxing tithing.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
I wasn't sure, because the church has a "business arm" to it, and they claimed that no money from tithing went towards City Creek development, and that no tithing money went towards prop 8.. which of course are lies.. whether the money came from investment, the initial income of it all started and continues with tithing..
And just how do you propose to prove that these statements are lies? Seriously? Where's your proof? When you say that someone is lying, you need to be able to provide some evidence of that.

Quote:
Most mormons I speak with say that because the church SAYS all tithing goes to humanitarian efforts it should not be taxed..
That's nonsense. Any Mormon who says all tithing funds go towards humanitarian efforts doesn't know what he's talking about -- any more than you know what you're talking about. Tithing funds and humanitarian funds are separate. When a person makes a contribution to the Church, he specifies to which fund he wishes to allocate his contribution. Tithing funds go towards the building and maintaining of churches, temples, and church education facilities. It also covers the printing of scriptures and other church curriculum. It is also used to pay the salaries of full-time Church employees. It does not go towards humanitarian purposes nor does it go towards building projects such as the City Creek Center, which, incidentally, will completely revitalize downtown Salt Lake City and ultimately benefit the entire population of the state of Utah. Regardless of whether you think tithing funds should be taxed or not, you really ought to at least get your facts straight before just posting a bunch of derogatory information that has no basis in truth.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Do you have proof of the church's use of tithing on business purposes? If not, than I'd say that the business part does not receive money from tithing. Without that proof, the rest of your argument is less sturdy. I understand taxing business aspects of church, and also political if necessary, but I don't understand what you mean by taxing tithing.
how does the church even have money for a business arm? it takes investment to make money.. that initial investment came from tithing or it's members donations.. a business arm doesn't just pop into existence

Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
Quote:
And just how do you propose to prove that these statements are lies? Seriously? Where's your proof? When you say that someone is lying, you need to be able to provide some evidence of that.

That's nonsense. Any Mormon who says all tithing funds go towards humanitarian efforts doesn't know what he's talking about -- any more than you know what you're talking about. Tithing funds and humanitarian funds are separate. When a person makes a contribution to the Church, he specifies to which fund he wishes to allocate his contribution. Tithing funds go towards the building and maintaining of churches, temples, and church education facilities. It also covers the printing of scriptures and other church curriculum. It is also used to pay the salaries of full-time Church employees. It does not go towards humanitarian purposes nor does it go towards building projects such as the City Creek Center, which, incidentally, will completely revitalize downtown Salt Lake City and ultimate benefit the entire population of the state of Utah. Regardless of whether you think tithing funds should be taxed or not, you really ought to at least get your facts straight before just posting a bunch of derogatory information that has no basis in truth.
You don't suppose the church's 'income' comes from the trinkets and candles they sell at the entrance? Where did the money come from?

They also invest the taken money and also should be taxed on capital gains.

Religion is a business in the US. It's time we acknowledge this fact and tax it like any other business.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,941 times
Except for the Chapel yes. In some cities like Richmond, Va., churches own blocks of prime downtown real estate that they use for commerical purposes, whether for church organizations such as bookstores, outreach and so forth or the land which they rent to banks and such. They pay no real estate taxes on this.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
how does the church even have money for a business arm? it takes investment to make money.. that initial investment came from tithing or it's members donations.. a business arm doesn't just pop into existence
Church Finances—Commercial Businesses

As the previous link explains, LDS businesses started when Utah was first settled by the Mormons and have naturally expanded from there. The initial investment was made over a century ago

Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:

That's nonsense. Any Mormon who says all tithing funds go towards humanitarian efforts doesn't know what he's talking about -- any more than you know what you're talking about. Tithing funds and humanitarian funds are separate. When a person makes a contribution to the Church, he specifies to which fund he wishes to allocate his contribution. Tithing funds go towards the building and maintaining of churches, temples, and church education facilities. It also covers the printing of scriptures and other church curriculum. It is also used to pay the salaries of full-time Church employees. It does not go towards humanitarian purposes nor does it go towards building projects such as the City Creek Center, which, incidentally, will completely revitalize downtown Salt Lake City and ultimate benefit the entire population of the state of Utah. Regardless of whether you think tithing funds should be taxed or not, you really ought to at least get your facts straight before just posting a bunch of derogatory information that has no basis in truth.
so then it is not humanitarian? if it's going to facilitate an organization run like a business, it should be taxed.. I am aware of how tithing can be allocated...
My point is.. if you want to have tax exempt status on anything you must be registered as a non-profit organization..or something of the like.. and not be able to receive income through the non-profit status and funnel it to the for profit arm..
Like I say, a business arm to a church doesn't just come about out of nothing.. the money came from somewhere.. and was that income to start the business arm taxed like every other business? we don't know because the lds church keeps it's books secret because they are protected as a religious organization. I agree that CCC will be great for downtown salt lake city.. but I don't like the fact that a monopoly can move in and essentially own and control an entire city's downtown core because they don't have to play by the same rules as every other business. Who else in this economy has 2 billion dollars to blow on a development? The mormon church does...

Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
You don't suppose the church's 'income' comes from the trinkets and candles they sell at the entrance? Where did the money come from?
Trinkets and candles? LOL! Well, if you ever see trinkets and candles on sale at the entrance of an LDS Church, please let me know. Look, I'm not even here to argue whether religious organizations should be taxed or not. I just saw the thread and figured I'd run into a few off-the-wall comments from people who have no clue as to how the LDS Church operates and where it gets its money. I didn't expect to see anything about trinkets and candles, though. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post

They also invest the taken money and also should be taxed on capital gains.

Religion is a business in the US. It's time we acknowledge this fact and tax it like any other business.
If when you say 'the church,' you are referring to Mormons, than I don't know what church you've been to. I've never seen an LDS church that sells candles or trinkets. And it's not a secret where the money comes from: tithing, voluntarily given by members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies