Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
There are a lot of folks in the black community blaming white folks for their own shortcomings in today's world, and think all white folks are evil. I find it just as silly as when white folks complain and lump all blacks into being poor, lazy, and criminals. Having grown up in a different time I suppose that I find it to be nonsense, and always judge a person on their character and how they treat me.
It is important to judge individuals based on their character. And just as there are many in the Black population who do the "blame the White man" thing, there are plenty who don't do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm talking about everyone deciding to stop working.

And who says you have to live on the dole. There are other ways you can live. Consider how survivalists live.

BTW, I'm not living on the dole. How am I going to pay a fine for not having health insurance?
The fine is in the Obamacare law.

It was set back one year.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:04 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The fine is in the Obamacare law.

It was set back one year.
Well, I don't have Obamacare. I have felt anything. Neither has my father.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:05 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
At one time the Jews sold themselves as slaves because they were poor and had no way to make a living. It was not like today where one is able to walk into a business and ask for a job or get unemployment or welfare and food stamps.. One must think deeper to the full understanding of what slavery was.

Today many are slaves working for a dollar. Some work much harder at blue collar jobs and get paid little. One could have a good paying job and lose it and wind up poor and on welfare.

Many white people who owned slaves treated them like family. It depended on the slave owner. There were also black slave owners years ago.

America's first slave owner was a black man.

Actual drawing of Anthony Johnson, the first slave owner in the colonies.

According to colonial records, the first slave owner in the United States was a black man.
Prior to 1655 there were no legal slaves in the colonies, only indentured servants. All masters were required to free their servants after their time was up. Seven years was the limit that an indentured servant could be held. Upon their release they were granted 50 acres of land. This included any Negro purchased from slave traders. Negros were also granted 50 acres upon their release.
Anthony Johnson was a Negro from modern-day Angola. He was brought to the US to work on a tobacco farm in 1619. In 1622 he was almost killed when Powhatan Indians attacked the farm. 52 out of 57 people on the farm perished in the attack. He married a female black servant while working on the farm.
When Anthony was released he was legally recognized as a “free Negro†and ran a successful farm. In 1651 he held 250 acres and five black indentured servants. In 1654, it was time for Anthony to release John Casor, a black indentured servant. Instead Anthony told Casor he was extending his time. Casor left and became employed by the free white man Robert Parker.
Anthony Johnson sued Robert Parker in the Northampton Court in 1654. In 1655, the court ruled that Anthony Johnson could hold John Casor indefinitely. The court gave judicial sanction for blacks to own slave of their own race. Thus Casor became the first permanent slave and Johnson the first slave owner.
Whites still could not legally hold a black servant as an indefinite slave until 1670. In that year, the colonial assembly passed legislation permitting free whites, blacks, and Indians the right to own blacks as slaves.
By 1699, the number of free blacks prompted fears of a “Negro insurrection.†Virginia Colonial ordered the repatriation of freed blacks back to Africa. Many blacks sold themselves to white masters so they would not have to go to Africa. This was the first effort to gently repatriate free blacks back to Africa. The modern nations of Sierra Leone and Liberia both originated as colonies of repatriated former black slaves.
However, black slave owners continued to thrive in the United States.
By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in the city of New Orleans alone.

America's first slave owner was a black man.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:05 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I don't have Obamacare. I have felt anything. Neither has my father.
Do you live in the US and file a tax return???

If so you will be fined in time as the law stands.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Who says you're being blamed for anything? I've always found this viewpoint weird. No one is blaming YOU for the mistakes of past white people. In addition, no one is expecting YOU to pay them anything for the past injustices.
Yea but you still rant on and on and on and on. I am happy to live in a nation where as a woman I have the opportunity to make my way in life, the history of woman's rights are not perfect but now it's was up to me. I could whine about the past or move on. Helpful tip, self respecting people don't like whiners and you will only attract like minded people, others, they will turn away.

Last edited by petch751; 05-29-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 12:11 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
There are a lot of folks in the black community blaming white folks for their own shortcomings in today's world, and think all white folks are evil. I find it just as silly as when white folks complain and lump all blacks into being poor, lazy, and criminals. Having grown up in a different time I suppose that I find it to be nonsense, and always judge a person on their character and how they treat me.
Who are these lots of folks in the black community? I would wager that you probably don't know many black people, let alone "lots" to make this determination. I've been black all my life and the only folks I hear spouting this nonsense are ex-cons on street corners (using pushing a Nation of Islam conversion). And even that's rare.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:12 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
We should know history, world history so the same mistakes don't happen again. The problem is some people want to focus on certain parts and know nothing about other parts of history.

As Obama said.... "reject those voices" because he knows that those voices speak from understanding history and learning from mistakes. And it's that part of world history he wants you to remain ignorant. Why? Think about it.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The whites of those times were too damn lazy and frail to handle the physical demands of tending crops and land.
Not that I disagree with you about how odious the institution of slavery was, but if you re-read this remark, I think you will find that it's racist.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They use the government to force me to pay for deadbeats. Who needs whips when we have the IRS? And if you paid my taxes you would feel violated (raped). By the way, many people call paying way too much taxes rape.
Hmmm...I see now that you just like to use inflammatory speech to try to make your point. Carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies