Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 11:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You don't know how smart slaves were, so it's interesting that your default answer is that they were dumb. What makes you draw that conclusion? Anyone who knows anything about the history of slaves in the US know that they were resourceful and resilient people. To suggest that they were ignorant because they were not knowledgeable about Western ways is ridiculous.

I can pretty much guarantee you that my roots in the US extend back further than yours. You're in this country thanks to the sacrifices of my ancestors. You're welcome.
How do you know about anyone else's roots??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:19 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is sad.

It is a shame blacks were ever bought here.
Well, too bad. We're here and we're not going anywhere. And we have more of a right to be here than those who STOLE these lands from the native people. Charlatans, the whole lot of them.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Well, too bad. We're here and we're not going anywhere. And we have more of a right to be here than those who STOLE these lands from the native people. Charlatans, the whole lot of them.
Oh....I know....BIG mistake for all.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What's the difference between a slave who works to feed, house, take care of the the plantation owner and the hard working American slaving at work to feed, house, take care of welfare recipients who are capable but refuse to work? Not much yet you condone the latter?
I will hope that this comment was made in jest. If not...

Old 05-29-2014, 11:23 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obamacare is another form of slavery. It is MANDATED. MANDATED means required, no choice.

It is MANDATED even for people like me who had insurance but now have to pay nearly double. My prices doubled and I have to pay for childcare even when I don't need it to pay for other woman having babies who they can't afford. That's not choice, that's todays form of slavery... and you think it's just fine.
I don't have Obamacare. I have no health insurance, period. No one is putting me in prison for that. If people want to defund the stuff in which taxes pay for, you can stop working altogether, everyone who is currently working. No one is stopping you from doing that. There are no laws saying you have to work.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No truth in what you're saying. We're nowhere close to being the most scrutinized nation when it comes to our history.

Yet when slavery is discussed and it's been pointed out that other countries participated it always reverts back to b-b-b-but the United States...

That said, we have more to live up to because we set ourselves up with the greatest constitution in the history of mankind, then commenced to PURPOSELY NOT live up to it for the greater part of our history in regards to African Americans. I'm not about to just dismiss that fact. No way...it wouldn't do justice to my ancestors.

Correct. And I already referenced this with regards to the Civil Rights Movement correcting the flaws of the forefathers. So, you hate the forefathers for something that you yourself weren't a part of? Yet they set the template for how it should be when it comes to government and our natural rights regarding individual liberties, in which now that Constitution also grants you.

Moreover, there's no such thing as equal opportunity. It doesn't exist. It can't exist. It's not even possible.

If our politicians are adhering to that document, we ALL have equal opportunity to make our own way! However; those on both sides of the aisle are doing their best to p*** on that document and side step it every chance we get. Do you think anyone in DC really gives a flip about us average joes?

The equal outcome argument is kinda stale too. I don't know a single soul that expects equal outcomes. That's also impossible.
And yet, here we have those in power trying to "spread the wealth" taking from those who work hard to those who don't. Or with the kids, when it comes to sports, where everyone gets a trophy simply for participating.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You should make a thread about southern whites that were too lazy to pick their own crops.

Our ancestors didn't betray us. That doesn't even make any sense. And Africans didn't sell "their own people" into slavery. They sold other tribes.

Exactly how the Indians feel about whites coming here.

Such a shame.

Yeah, but this thread isn't about the world...it's about so called "enlightened" American men that were the Founding Fathers of THIS country.

And of course we should look at the sins of this nation's past. Absolutely we should. Why should any history be glossed over just because it makes us uncomfortable?
I always find it interesting how some white people are ALL about history. They like to participate in reenactments (the Renaissance dolts in particular), visit museums with artifacts of yesteryear, etc, but as SOON as the history discussed mentions anything about the mistreatment of blacks and Indians, the interest ends. Loving history turns into a complaint about why blacks won't stop living in the past.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't have Obamacare. I have no health insurance, period. No one is putting me in prison for that. If people want to defund the stuff in which taxes pay for, you can stop working altogether, everyone who is currently working. No one is stopping you from doing that. There are no laws saying you have to work.
Prison....no...that will not happen.....in time there will be a penalty on your taxes....if you file.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I always find it interesting how some white people are ALL about history. They like to participate in reenactments (the Renaissance dolts in particular), visit museums with artifacts of yesteryear, etc, but as SOON as the history discussed mentions anything about the mistreatment of blacks and Indians, the interest ends. Loving history turns into a complaint about why blacks won't stop living in the past.
The Japanese interment camps have always interested me.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The reason slaves were bought here was to pick cotton......of course, not all did just that.

Everyone seems to agree that NEVER should have happened....NEVER.....we all would be in a better place if the slaves were never here.

I am sure the Indians did mostly feel the same way......of couse they would.
Doubt it. The whites of those times were too damn lazy and frail to handle the physical demands of tending crops and land. The US would have crashed and burned without slaves. Instead of condemning the presence of blacks in America, you need to be thanking us (and our ancestors) for giving America the strong footing to become a successful nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies