Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
I'm a far right conservative and I've lived without healthcare for 5 years without a problem.
Big Whoop! Do you know your blood pressure? Your cholesterol? What are you going to do if you get cancer, or even appendicitis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks
I am a far right conservative as well, however I disagree with your stance on healthcare. In my opinion on cannot be free unless they are healthy. I think everyone should be forced to live without healthcare for two years before making an opinion on the necissity of healthcare and freedom.

I also don't think health care should be a "for profit" enterprise. I don't believe in making profits off of people dying.

I support a single-payer, not-for-profit, MANDATORY health care system. And I proudly wave my conservative flag and join Tea Party rallies. And will most likely be voting for Trump.
you couldnt afford a single payer system
look at the numbers

wrong

1. medicare is not 100% like medicaid...so PEOPLE would be faced with a 20% bill. and NEEDING to buy suplemental isnurance just like our elderly get screwed on everyday

2. medicare THIS YEAR cost over 500 billion dollars..and that is NOT covering its people at 100%.....and yes we all know the elderly are the most costly demographic

medicaid which is a singlepayer system this past year cost over 300billion...to cover about 30 million poeple...................our total population is 315+ million

4. the COST of a UHC with 100% coverage for all would be anywhere between 2.5 to 5 trillion A YEAR...meaning the 80% coverage would cost 2 to 4 trillion dollars a year. to cover the entire population of 315 million USA citizens

4. of that 2-4 trillion (2.5 to 5 trillion@ 100% coverage) about 800 billion is already in the budget(the 500 billion for medicare and the 300 billion for medicaid) so the actual ADDITIONAL cost would be only 1.2 to 3.2 (1.7 to 4.2) trillion dollars

5. of that 1.2 to 4.2 trillion dollars. that means the 115 million taxpayers (number of 1040's filed with the IRS) would EACH be stuck with 10,400 to 36500 dollar tax bill.

can you (the average working/middleclass tax payer) afford an ADDITIONAL 10k to 35k taxbill....I think not

Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
No, I simply can't afford it.

Nor do I think I want it. When my husband was in the military and we needed care, we had to go to the Naval Hospital. It wasn't good care. That is an example of NHC and I don't want it.

Now if they want to use part of the budget (money they already have/cut it from other departments) to pay for those that don't have healthcare to go to a military hospital, by all means.... It will keep the gov't out of my pocket for more money, I get to keep what I have, and others get care.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Bet you are glad not to be living in the UK any more!

How much does dental care cost in the Simi Valley?
Yeah, actually, I am, as is my husband who says he never wants to return to his home country unless he is forced to for a family funeral.

The cost of dental care in Simi Valley is just as over-expensive as it is anywhere else, even with a discount dental plan, which is what we currently have instead of actual dental insurance. But, at least I know I am getting QUALITY care. The damage done to my teeth was considered potentially life threatening due to the fact that I also have a prolapsed mitral valve. I was full of infection. Here's the real kicker...the NHS dentists I used caused damage which an expert in London (Anthony Halperin) declared was bordering on CRIMINAL negligence. However, the NHS ruled in my lawsuit that in their opinion it was an ACCEPTABLE level of negligence, and because of this no NHS dentist was allowed to work on the teeth damaged, which were pretty much ALL of my teeth, which, by the way, had been perfect when I arrived in the UK. Because of this I had to walk around in constant pain and full of infection.

I do not deny that the cost of medical and dental in the United States is grossly high, nor do I lack compassion for those who cannot afford any type of care. But I do not believe that GOVERNMENT controlled medical and dental care is the way forward.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you couldnt afford a single payer system
look at the numbers

wrong

1. medicare is not 100% like medicaid...so PEOPLE would be faced with a 20% bill. and NEEDING to buy suplemental isnurance just like our elderly get screwed on everyday

2. medicare THIS YEAR cost over 500 billion dollars..and that is NOT covering its people at 100%.....and yes we all know the elderly are the most costly demographic

medicaid which is a singlepayer system this past year cost over 300billion...to cover about 30 million poeple...................our total population is 315+ million

4. the COST of a UHC with 100% coverage for all would be anywhere between 2.5 to 5 trillion A YEAR...meaning the 80% coverage would cost 2 to 4 trillion dollars a year. to cover the entire population of 315 million USA citizens

4. of that 2-4 trillion (2.5 to 5 trillion@ 100% coverage) about 800 billion is already in the budget(the 500 billion for medicare and the 300 billion for medicaid) so the actual ADDITIONAL cost would be only 1.2 to 3.2 (1.7 to 4.2) trillion dollars

5. of that 1.2 to 4.2 trillion dollars. that means the 115 million taxpayers (number of 1040's filed with the IRS) would EACH be stuck with 10,400 to 36500 dollar tax bill.

can you (the average working/middleclass tax payer) afford an ADDITIONAL 10k to 35k taxbill....I think not
You left our an important aspect about MedicAid. Doctors can opt out of the program, and most have. Over 90% of the doctors in Alaska, for example, have chosen not to accept MedicAid recipients. So what is the point of having universal coverage when you cannot get treatment?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yeah, actually, I am, as is my husband who says he never wants to return to his home country unless he is forced to for a family funeral.

The cost of dental care in Simi Valley is just as over-expensive as it is anywhere else, even with a discount dental plan, which is what we currently have instead of actual dental insurance. But, at least I know I am getting QUALITY care. The damage done to my teeth was considered potentially life threatening due to the fact that I also have a prolapsed mitral valve. I was full of infection. Here's the real kicker...the NHS dentists I used caused damage which an expert in London (Anthony Halperin) declared was bordering on CRIMINAL negligence. However, the NHS ruled in my lawsuit that in their opinion it was an ACCEPTABLE level of negligence, and because of this no NHS dentist was allowed to work on the teeth damaged, which were pretty much ALL of my teeth, which, by the way, had been perfect when I arrived in the UK. Because of this I had to walk around in constant pain and full of infection.

I do not deny that the cost of medical and dental in the United States is grossly high, nor do I lack compassion for those who cannot afford any type of care. But I do not believe that GOVERNMENT controlled medical and dental care is the way forward.
Holy crap!! There is such a thing as an acceptable level of negligence???? And then to rule that no one else can work on it?????? This is ridiculous.

Welcome to the USA and I'm so happy you're finally getting some relief to your dental issues. They are no fun and VERY painful. I've had a few of my own, but thankfully, when the pain starts, I can call my dentist and my insurance says they have to have same day appointments for emergencies.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Government can not deliver cheap and or affordable anything.
That is the FACT!!!! Case Closed!!!
Can they cover you sure but they can't even balance a budget and have no money to even support what they run now. The idea is fantasy and the reality is something else.
While we are at it why not provide car insurance, rental estate insurance, life insurance and or anything else. You want something affordable look at free markets not controlled government markets. Look at cell phones we didnt have to get to provide them did we. Freaking 6 year old have them.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Government can not deliver cheap and or affordable anything.
That is the FACT!!!! Case Closed!!!
Can they cover you sure but they can't even balance a budget and have no money to even support what they run now. The idea is fantasy and the reality is something else.
While we are at it why not provide car insurance, rental estate insurance, life insurance and or anything else. You want something affordable look at free markets not controlled government markets. Look at cell phones we didnt have to get to provide them did we. Freaking 6 year old have them.
I know of a couple here that will not get married. They've been together for about 15 years with 2 kids and she gets section 8, welfare, food stamps, discount car insurance, healthcare, you name it..... simply because they won't marry, but live together. The gov doesn't know they're living together and he has a good job. They make out like you wouldn't believe.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Holy crap!! There is such a thing as an acceptable level of negligence???? And then to rule that no one else can work on it?????? This is ridiculous.

Welcome to the USA and I'm so happy you're finally getting some relief to your dental issues. They are no fun and VERY painful. I've had a few of my own, but thankfully, when the pain starts, I can call my dentist and my insurance says they have to have same day appointments for emergencies.
Thanks for the welcome back When we arrived back home I literally got down on my knees in LAX airport, threw my arms wide and yelled, "God Bless America, and its GREAT to be back home!" LOL!

Yes, my dentist and my doctor are both very, very good at getting me in pronto when I have a problem. When I first started seeing my doctor here a year ago I would start crying and shaking out of fear as soon as he walked in the door. As far as going to the dentist, as the time got closer to leave for my appointment I would start to feel so afraid that I would vomit and then my appointment would have to be reset for a few days later because I had to have a quadruple dose of antibiotics in my system before they could do anything. I was horrifically traumatized by my experiences with UK medical and dental care.

As a nice little side note for those women here who think a similar health care system would be great...while I was in the UK the NHS was AGAIN cutting back on costs so they determined that it would be okay to give women a pap smear WITHOUT the use of gloves and to no longer use lubricant on the speculum. But it gets worse! They were no longer required to STERILIZE the speculum and instead just washed it in hot soapy water and stuck it back into the drawer! I was absolutely horrified when I was approached with an unsterilized, unwrapped speculum. Also, they do not do the standard pelvic and rectal exam that we are used to expecting and if you ask the nurse to check you for breast lumps she looks at you like you are some sort of freak! It just isn't done. In 2005, at age 42, they said I was too young for a mammogram and I only got it done because I fought for it based on the fact that my sister had breast cancer and her oncologist sent copies of her records from the USA, insisting that I also needed to be checked. The whole NHS system is a nightmare.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I know of a couple here that will not get married. They've been together for about 15 years with 2 kids and she gets section 8, welfare, food stamps, discount car insurance, healthcare, you name it..... simply because they won't marry, but live together. The gov doesn't know they're living together and he has a good job. They make out like you wouldn't believe.
I believe it. In the UK, shortly after we left, the government was providing FREE computers and laptops with low cost internet connection because everyone was "entitled" to have a computer. Entitled is the operative word here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies