Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:18 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm just saying, we elected a black guy. Perhaps we're not quite the troglodytes some Canadians seem to think we are. Mind you, there's always room for improvement, and I do think Obama's election brought out the latent racist in some people.
For absolutely sure it brought out the racists. Like I have said many times, the election of a black man as president shows just how far the USA has moved forward in racial progress in our time. I applaud the nation for electing a black man. I could tell you a story though about election night. I was in a truck stop in rural Missouri when Mcain conceeded and let me tell you that there were very many unhappy good old boys standing around crusing and swearing that a N....r was now the president. In fact it was virtually 100% of the people standing there watching CNN.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
For absolutely sure it brought out the racists. Like I have said many times, the election of a black man as president shows just how far the USA has moved forward in racial progress in our time. I applaud the nation for electing a black man. I could tell you a story though about election night. I was in a truck stop in rural Missouri when Mcain conceeded and let me tell you that there were very many unhappy good old boys standing around crusing and swearing that a N....r was now the president. In fact it was virtually 100% of the people standing there watching CNN.
I like that you twisted my post about the US electing a person of color to talk about US racism again. I am seriously underwhelmed at your experience in MO. Do you think these people represent the entire US? Who won the election?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I like that you twisted my post about the US electing a person of color to talk about US racism again. I am seriously underwhelmed at your experience in MO. Do you think these people represent the entire US? Who won the election?
No, of course these people did not represent everyone. There are however millions of people who don't like Obama because he's black. To suggest otherwise is just plain blindness!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
I can answer the OP's question in one word: History

Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
No, of course these people did not represent everyone. There are however millions of people who don't like Obama because he's black. To suggest otherwise is just plain blindness!!!!!!!
Obama won the election. To suggest otherwise is just plain blindness!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Canada didn't have slavery or Jim Crow. There's a lot of history there. Race has been a strongly ingrained part of American society for centuries, and it can't be erased in a matter of decades.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:57 AM

72 posts, read 77,936 times
It's amazing how many people responded defensively to the OP's question, by telling him to move to Canada or saying that he's the one that's hung up on race. I think that open, honest discussions regarding race are sorely needed in America. But anytime racism is even mentioned, some people are quick to claim that it's only a problem for the person who brings it up, or that it's part of some "liberal agenda." Give me a break! Racism/racial issues/racial tension/whatever you want to call it is alive and well in America. Have we made great strides from where we used to be? Absolutely! But that doesn't mean that we still don't have quite a bit more progress to make. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that. We are where we are. But we need to acknowledge it and face it head on, not get all defensive and up and arms and try to pretend that everything is all rainbows and sunshine, because it's not. And getting angry with people for having the nerve to point out the obvious is helping no one.

For those who say that there are no racial problems in America or that you haven't encountered them, I can only say that if you are not part of a minority population (or not linked via a close relationship like marriage, parenting, etc.), then it's very likely that you've simply never been in a situation where racism would be something that you've even personally had to confront or deal with. Again, there's nothing wrong with the fact that you personally haven't encountered such situations. But that doesn't mean that you can automatically discount someone else's experience just because you never witnessed it or can't relate to it yourself. We all bring our own unique perspectives to the table.

My best friend (a black woman) is married to a white man. And he has told us how his views of race relations has changed since they've been together, as he had never dated outside his race before meeting her. He now has another perspective, and he is more observant in various situations and he has a better understanding of what she has had to deal with her whole life. He is now cognizant and aware of issues that never crossed his mind before, simply because there was no need for them to cross his mind because they were not a part of his life.

People really only need to read a few threads on the various CD boards to see that we still have a lot of work to do when it comes to communicating about race relations in the US. But we need to stop with the defensiveness first. For every person who claims someone is playing the "race card" (I hate that term), there is a legitimate issue about race that needs to be discussed but gets ignored for the mere fact that it makes some people uncomfortable. I hate to break it to you, but racism is not some make-believe issue dreamed up by the "liberals" to distract and divide. It's real, and it's not going away just because some folks want to turn a blind eye to it. Open, honest, and respectful dialogue is needed by all parties. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. America has a deep, ugly history with race that is centuries old. There simply is no easy fix.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post
Exactly! That's really the bottom line, and the ugly truth that so many Americans don't want to talk about or would rather sweep under the rug.

It's amazing how many people responded defensively to the OP's question, by telling him to move to Canada or saying that he's the one that's hung up on race. I think that open, honest discussions regarding race are sorely needed in America. But anytime racism is even mentioned, some people are quick to claim that it's only a problem for the person who brings it up, or that it's part of some "liberal agenda." Give me a break! Racism/racial issues/racial tension/whatever you want to call it is alive and well in America. Have we made great strides from where we used to be? Absolutely! But that doesn't mean that we still don't have quite a bit more progress to make. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that. We are where we are. But we need to acknowledge it and face it head on, not get all defensive and up and arms and try to pretend that everything is all rainbows and sunshine, because it's not. And getting angry with people for having the nerve to point out the obvious is helping no one.

For those who say that there are no racial problems in America or that you haven't encountered them, I can only say that if you are not part of a minority population (or not linked via a close relationship like marriage, parenting, etc.), then it's very likely that you've simply never been in a situation where racism would be something that you've even personally had to confront or deal with. Again, there's nothing wrong with the fact that you personally haven't encountered such situations. But that doesn't mean that you can automatically discount someone else's experience just because you never witnessed it or can't relate to it yourself. We all bring our own unique perspectives to the table.

My best friend (a black woman) is married to a white man. And he has told us how his views of race relations has changed since they've been together, as he had never dated outside his race before meeting her. He now has another perspective, and he is more observant in various situations and he has a better understanding of what she has had to deal with her whole life. He is now cognizant and aware of issues that never crossed his mind before, simply because there was no need for them to cross his mind because they were not a part of his life.

People really only need to read a few threads on the various CD boards to see that we still have a lot of work to do when it comes to communicating about race relations in the US. But we need to stop with the defensiveness first. For every person who claims someone is playing the "race card" (I hate that term), there is a legitimate issue about race that needs to be discussed but gets ignored for the mere fact that it makes some people uncomfortable. I hate to break it to you, but racism is not some make-believe issue dreamed up by the "liberals" to distract and divide. It's real, and it's not going away just because some folks want to turn a blind eye to it. Open, honest, and respectful dialogue is needed by all parties. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. America has a deep, ugly history with race that is centuries old. There simply is no easy fix.
I don't think racism is made up by liberals, I think a lot of it created by and something liberals want to see continued.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
The real reason is because we have race hustlers in this country that perpetuate racism so they remain relevant and keep the money coming in. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are 2 of the many.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The real reason is because we have race hustlers in this country that perpetuate racism so they remain relevant and keep the money coming in. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are 2 of the many.
You can discount those two character's input completely as irrelevant today. They, in my humble opinion only, don't speak for anyone but themselves now. Do they have an audience when something happens to give them voice? Sure they do, but only to the extent that the issue is there for them to spout over.

Given time and education they will recede into the mists of history just as Gov. Wallace, or even Joe McCarthy did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies