Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:17 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The liberals and the media is hung up on race. The liberals love to divide the people of this country to keep their power...the media can't get past 1965 civil rights act..they hate it when a minority gets ahead...that ruins their template....
nice attempt at reverse logic. Replace "liberals" with "right-wingers" in your post and you start to make sense.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Historian Marcel Trudel has documented 4,092 recorded slaves throughout Canadian history, of which 2,692 were Aboriginal peoples, owned by the French, and 1,400 blacks owned by the British, together owned by approximately 1,400 masters.[16] Trudel also noted 31 marriages took place between French colonists and Aboriginal slaves.

From your source...

So comparatively speaking...slavery was not as pervasive in the national psyche.

Not to mention that slavery ended in 1830 and Canada was the destination for the underground railroad.
Yes,you are correct,there WAS slavery in Canada.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
The idea of white-flight is virtually non-existent in Canada. You'll find whites in the inner city and low income areas as much as the suburbs and high income areas. [snip...]
If society should be color blind, then why should we put much stock in your implied point, when your observation is predicated directly upon color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Anyways, what I saw in this Toronto neighborhood was a diversity and mixing among the different ethnic groups....

[snip the rest of the elaborate story about you going around looking at peoples color...]
So basically you went through an elaborate series of observations that intensely and rather purposively involved looking at peoples color (a very specific attribute mind you, that you went out of your way to look at. Out of all the other things in the world you could have been looking at, you chose top look at peoples color. Yep, got it), and then proceeded to make a sociological value judgment based upon color, and then you went home and thought it a good idea to start a thread on a public forum complaining about Americans being obsessed with..... what? ..... wait for it..... yep,..... color.

[insert picture of mirror here for others to take a look at themselves].

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-24-2011 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
If society should be color blind, then why should we put much stock in your implied point, when your observation is predicated directly upon color?
I believe the point of the OP was not to recognize "color" just for the sake of making a value judgment on how people of different colors interact, but precisely to take note of the marked absence of its consequence, that is, the color-based hyper-consciousness and accompanying social tension so often seen here in the US. Whereas the US has a tendency to extract too much social significance from color, Canada did not appear to take much stock in it.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Well, Canadians may not have racial baggage, but there's definitely some baggage between the English and the French dating back to 1763. So things aren't all sunshine and roses up there. But they mostly are. I love Canada. It's my third favorite country (after the U.S. and Italy)

Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM

865 posts, read 623,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I believe the point of the OP was not to recognize "color" just for the sake of making a value judgment on how people of different colors interact, but precisely to take note of the marked absence of its consequence, that is, the color-based hyper-consciousness and accompanying social tension so often seen here in the US. Whereas the US has a tendency to extract too much social significance from color, Canada did not appear to take much stock in it.
No, FTA makes an excellent point. NYG's entire post was about what he observed in Canada. Personally, I don't walk through my neighborhood, or any other, and think to myself "wow, race relations are outstanding here!", but that's what he seemed to focus on.

Let's get past this!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, why everytime I see a liberal making a case for diversity, it ALWAYS boils down to restaurant choices? I guess that's what being diverse to a liberal is. Just different food
I used the smells and tastes to highlight the diverse communities. If I had of commented that it was nice walking through little India and seeing the women in Sari's and hearing the Indian music being played in the stores, you would have criticized that as being too simplistic a way to highlight diversity.

If you haven't lived in a truly multicultural city and experienced the diversity firsthand, they you can't understand what I am talking about. It is far beyond food, music, wardrobe - it is about values and traditions that come together and create a unique society where the differences are celebrated, not complained about or "tolerated".

Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times
Just be careful around Stanley Cup times.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
As a Canadian living in the U.S. I have frequently commented on how different the countries are. Tensions do exist between different groups in Canada, but that is mostly First Nations and others. White, black (not African American), Asian, East-Indian all tend to live peacefully amongst each other.

My neighbourhood was diverse, something I really miss in the U.S. Nothing like walking through little India or Greektown on my way something and seeing and smelling all the wonderful food.

Peperosso, Canadian's don't hate American's - what Canadian's hate is the subset of American's who try and tell Canada how to govern, what is right and wrong and why they are inferior to the U.S. The biggest insult to a Canadian is to say Canada is the 51st state; there are so many cultural differences between the two countries. Oh yeah when you do call Canada the 51st state, or America lite, all you are doing is showing your ignorance.
In my opinion, "diversity" is more than just a bunch of "Little India" and "Greektown" areas. In fact, the presence of areas like that is evidence of segregation, IMO. There are many cities in the US that have/had a "Little Italy", "Chinatown", etc. In some cases, such as Denver, Little Italy is no more; the Italian community has decentralized.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:52 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Because Canada never had slavery. Plus most of the minorities in Canada are from Asian countries, and they tend to be pretty wealthy and successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies