Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Somebody woke up on the wrong side today. May I suggest chamomile?
Hey, I'm just repeating the other poster's own words!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:03 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The thing about race and Canada is, there just aren't enough actual minorities for it to be a major issue. Secondly, most of the minorities that do exist are recent immigrants, who tend to come in with work VISA's and are usually the cream-of-the-crop of their former countries. The vast majority of the minorites in Canada are Asians, who just don't contribute any real social problems(who can hate Asians really?). I doubt Americans would be nearly as racial if blacks represented only 2.5% of the population and hispanics were only 1% of the population(which would undoubtedly be almost entirely contained in small clusters around major population centers), even if Asians were 6.7% or even 20% of the population.
This post nails it. Thanks for the pie charts.

If Canada had NEARLY the percentage and diversity of minorities that the U.S. has, then we could make a fair comparison. Until then, please.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, come on! You know, I don't believe all the crap I hear about the Canadian health care system having endless wait lists, etc. In fact, I have defended the Canadian health system, even though I don't think it is perfect, either. My point is, you shouldn't believe everything you hear about the United States.

First of all, you are confusing your American relatives with all 300+ million of us. We don't all think alike.

Secondly, I don't think you really know much about the funding of our ecuational system. Most big-city school districts spend more per pupil than suburban and rural districts. Schools with large numbers of low-income kids also get extra federal monies. Many states in the US now have school equalization funding laws, eliminating "rich" vs "poor" districs.

As far as disenfranchising voters, I'd like to see some stats. We "finally" got rid of poll taxes (and not every state had these) a mere 47 years ago.

Poll Tax

What else can you show this "blind and ignorant" American to prove your points?
So you don't think various states put up barriers to voter registration?

I'm not tarring all Americans with the same brush at all. Of course there are millions of Americans that are not racist in the least but racism continues to be an everyday issue in the USA.

I've seen enough American news shows about the appaling conditions that exist in many American schools to be able to draw the conculsion that something is wrong there.

When I say "Blind and ignorant" I'm talking about the kind of people who deny that any of the hate directed at the president is racial in origin. I mean really?????? They will tell you this as they are holding up a picture of the president as a monkey and calling his wife a wookie. People running down the president because he calls himself black when he is actually half white. What kind of nonsence is that. In a country where for over 200 years one drop of black blood made you BLACK. The crap, garbage and just plain lunacy of the "Birthers". Are you going to try to tell me that is not racial in origin?Like I said before, you have come a long way in the last 50 years. Overt racism has become covert. The covert racists think the rest of us are as dumb as posts and when you catch them up in their obvious racism they deny it. So, not only are they "Blind and ignorant" they are also cowards in the first degree.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
So you don't think various states put up barriers to voter registration?

I'm not tarring all Americans with the same brush at all. Of course there are millions of Americans that are not racist in the least but racism continues to be an everyday issue in the USA.

I've seen enough American news shows about the appaling conditions that exist in many American schools to be able to draw the conculsion that something is wrong there.

When I say "Blind and ignorant" I'm talking about the kind of people who deny that any of the hate directed at the president is racial in origin. I mean really?????? They will tell you this as they are holding up a picture of the president as a monkey and calling his wife a wookie. People running down the president because he calls himself black when he is actually half white. What kind of nonsence is that. In a country where for over 200 years one drop of black blood made you BLACK. The crap, garbage and just plain lunacy of the "Birthers". Are you going to try to tell me that is not racial in origin?Like I said before, you have come a long way in the last 50 years. Overt racism has become covert. The covert racists think the rest of us are as dumb as posts and when you catch them up in their obvious racism they deny it. So, not only are they "Blind and ignorant" they are also cowards in the first degree.
1. Could you give some examples? I've registered in several states, and never had a problem. I've lived in Colorado for 30 years. I first registered to vote at the DMV when I got my CO driver's license in 1980, 15 years before the "motor voter" law made that a reality in every state. There are voter registration drives at every festival, etc, that I have attended.

2. Here is your statement:

Quote:
I'm a Canadian who has travelled extensively in the USA. I also have a large extended family who are Americans. The entire subject of racism is something I have been very interested in my whole life because of the incredible differences that I observed between my American family and my Canadian family.
So we're talking about what, maybe 50 people or so on each side? Fewer? More?

3. Racism is not an every day issue in my life. Sorry, it just isn't. I work in a pediatric office and we have people of all races as patients; we treat them all the same.

4. There are a lot of problems in some schools, but they are not usually related to money.

5. I agree the birthers are nuts. Whether they are motivated by racism, or they're just hoping to get rid of Obama because they don't like him is not mine to say. Oh, some of them have said a lot of racist things, but many put down Obama's mother and her side of the family as well, and those people are white.

When is Canada going to have a PM of color?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,301,258 times
Quote:
When is Canada going to have a PM of color?
What does that have to do with anything? If such a politician rose through the ranks and had viable credentials, I think the odds would be good.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I made a recent visit to Canada and it basically lived up to all my expectations. The environment is clean and quiet and it has a more laid back feel than America. The people are very social and friendly and you just don't sense the tension in the air that is characteristic of life in America.

I visited a cousin of mine in what would be considered a low income area of Toronto (which is still pretty decent by the way) and I saw something that had me rethinking everything I knew about race relations from a socioeconomic standpoint. We all the know the situation in America regarding the prevalence of "white-flight" from major urban centers to the suburbs, the corresponding decay and poverty that exist within inner cities neighborhoods occupied predominantly by minorities, and the generally segregated ethnic enclaves that exist within the big cities.

Anyways, what I saw in this Toronto neighborhood was a diversity and mixing among the different ethnic groups that you'll never see anywhere in America. This particular area is known to have a large black population and it is a magnate for immigrants from the Caribbean as well as other places (I spotted quite a few Muslim women driving around the neighborhood wearing the hijab... something that I almost never see in America). Even so there is a sizable white population interspersed throughout the area. In fact my cousin's neighbors are white and I was surprised to see their kids playing with my cousin's kids and the other black kids from the area. We were having pizza outdoors and my cousin's white neighbor came over and join us and ate and chat with us.

I found it intriguing but refreshing at the same time. I watched them carefully (without making it obvious) and I saw absolutely no tension or indication that they were uncomfortable in the other's presence or with the fact that their kids were playing together in the yard. In fact I notice this several times in Canada - how comfortably whites and blacks interacted with each other. I've never seen such relaxed attitudes between whites and blacks in America.

The idea of white-flight is virtually non-existent in Canada. You'll find whites in the inner city and low income areas as much as the suburbs and high income areas. Racism is probably present there but you'll have to search hard to find it or it's very subdued UNLIKE America where it's virtually in your face everywhere you go (browse the threads here on CD and you'll see what I'm talking about). Maybe America should take a page out of Canada's book. Like Healthcare and their stable banking system, they seem to get it right time and time again. Go Canada!
So, move to Canada! What's stopping you? What makes you think we are "hung up on race"? You're believing the liberal lies. They want you to think that.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
What does that have to do with anything? If such a politician rose through the ranks and had viable credentials, I think the odds would be good.
Ordinarily, I'd say color has nothing to do with anything. But here's this Canadian, bashing the US for being racist, all the while we did elect a black president. Maybe it's time for Canada to "walk the walk".

Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Ordinarily, I'd say color has nothing to do with anything. But here's this Canadian, bashing the US for being racist, all the while we did elect a black president. Maybe it's time for Canada to "walk the walk".
Our last "Head of state" was a beautiful Black Lady.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Our last "Head of state" was a beautiful Black Lady.
Your "head of state" is a German lady who wears silly hats and speaks received English.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
It all boils down to the saying,"Divide and Conquer". The more the Globalist Elites can divide us up and have us fighting against each other, the less energy we have to focus on THEM who want to take away all our civil liberties, tax us to high heavens ...making up whatever phoney baloney excuse necessary we will buy to enable them to do it and control us like animals. So they have us divided by Right/Left; Liberal/conservative; Democrat/ Republican; Gay/Straight; Black/White. So while everyone is wasting time arguing over meaningless positions, the elites are planning to turn our world into a prison planet-- UNLESS WE WAKE UP AND DO SOMETHING.

The only two groups right now should be WE THE PEOPLE vs. The Globalist/New World Order Elites who own the Lamestream Media -- DON"T FORGET THAT. The LAMESTREAM MEDIA IS ON THEIR SIDE NOT OURS!!

This country has sunk too far too fast for us to be able to take the lazy route and sit back and do nothing and hope everything will turn out.

With the turn of events getting worse by the week you'd have to be living in a dream world to think without everyone's effort things will get better. It is up to WE THE PEOPLE to see that things get better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies