Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Firstly, I would propose you ceasing to imply that they are some sort of victim. They made their (bad) choices and bad choices have consequences, many of which last a lifetime. Those of us who have refrained from robbing and murdering are the bad people?

Secondly, if one chooses not to hire an ex-con, it strikes me as prudent, not discrimination. I suspect most violent ex-cons are capable of little more than pushing a mail cart around my office. We can find plenty of law-abiding people to do that.

Finally, I would propose that people embrace education rather than crime as a means to advance. Simplistic? I think not. How many violent felons can honestly say their crime payed off? When does society ascend the learning curve? What is wrong with a culture that values spending years in jail rather than years ina classroom?

You want to hire a felon, go right ahead. I suspect others have and may have done well by it.
I always like it when someone ignores what I wrote, and instead asks and answers their own questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
We went that route and it turned out badly. It created a permanent underclass. Do we want to replicate India's caste system?

Freedom is great. No problem there. But the freedom to destroy, divide, or be stupid should be discouraged. "Your" utopian America is apparently one where discrimination would be encouraged simply because it is not discouraged.

I would be hesitant to hire a repeat offender, especially if their prior crime might pose a danger to my business, but it is our societal duty to discourage any attempt to create--willfully or accidentally--a class of people with little or no value simply because we don't like their _____ (fill in the blank).

There is a collective responsibility that demands the curtailing of some freedoms in order to maintain a society worth cherishing. This approach is the middle way between utter chaos without restriction and pure totalitarianism. In other words, we're going to have to put up with it.
You "put up with it," because I will never hire a felon under any circumstances. I do not care if they are the most qualified person on the planet, if they were convicted of a felony (I do not care how recent or how long ago it was) they can find work elsewhere because I will not give them the time of day much less a job.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
There will be a lot of astroturfing on both sides to confuse the population even further.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's not discrimination, it's evaluation. Should we "discriminate" against people who are less likely to be capable of doing the job?

Please cite evidence that people who are unemployed or who have bad credit are less likely to be capable of doing the job?

I once had a high-volume cashier job at a time when I had bad credit. It didn't make me less capable of doing the job. Why would it?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM

455 posts, read 633,369 times
When you discriminate to the point we do in the US, your manufacturing crime!

Felony laws were created in pre-industrial times, were never intended to be used to discriminate in

Housing or employment.Voting yes, jobs no. The present situation encourages crime as opposed to

Encouraging more productive behavior.There is clearly distinctions also, some 19 year old who falls in

Love with a 16 year old could easily become a felon, I can't agree with that.We all know the guys that

"deserve" to be in prison, even most of them should have some means of incrementally earning their

Spot in a productive society.People who disagree with that lack humanity and I would not want to work

For either way.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yes. We MUST give them jobs or they will commit more crimes and go on entitlements. You like being blackmailed don't you?

Actually I've read that entitlements generally stop when you're incarcerated. Like no Social Security and stuff like that.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Please cite evidence that people who are unemployed or who have bad credit are less likely to be capable of doing the job?

I once had a high-volume cashier job at a time when I had bad credit. It didn't make me less capable of doing the job. Why would it?
If you have two people, one with a 500 and a felony record and one with a 750 and no records, it stands to reason one is more responsible. This is common sense and you know it.

But to be honest, it doesn't matter how rational it is. It's my business. I hire who I want to hire.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You only hire perfect people like yourself, I imagine.

We are a spiteful society. We send people off to prison for decades with no thought about rehabilitation, just punishment. And when they're done, the punishment continues for now that they've been in jail, they should be shunned forever. Or, like you do, they should not be given a chance at a decent job. Without forgiveness, there is no hope. Without hope, there will be desperation. With desperation, there will be crime. Can we not see how the condition is a vicious cycle?

Face it, in America we treat each other like crap. Everybody, even those who haven't committed a crime. Distrust rules the day. Pee in this cup so I can test your bodily fluids and maybe, just maybe, I'll hire you.

Bleeding hearts will for the most part save this country from itself. And the heartless empty vessels now masquerading as human beings will die out like the dinosaurs.

And it's funny that most of these people claim to be Christians! Now, I'm no bleeding heart by any means, and there are those that truly belong in prison, such as pedophiles, murderers, rapists, the Bernie Madoff types. But it really is a vicious cycle when a non-violent offender who pays his debt to society has suffered the consequences for his actions, and still gets beaten down to the point of which that person ends up going back to doing the same thing. Because of their record they can't find a job, and of course in turn becomes more desperate, which causes them to commit more serious offenses! It's sad that because people are so unforgiving and vindictive that someone is actually thinking of making a law about this! I'm not for the law by any means, as it is that person's business, their rules. But it doesn't make it right either!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
I always like it when someone ignores what I wrote, and instead asks and answers their own questions...
No...I answered your questions and added some comments as well.

You received a rebuttal. Now instead of throwing in the towel you call foul.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
According to whom?

Convicted felons cannot vote, or own a firearm, and they have their ability to travel restricted.

Looks to me like a convicted felon continues paying for their crime for the rest of their life.
This is not necessarily true, in most states, as soon as the felon is released from incarceration they can vote, other states have a time line before they can. Once they are no longer on parole, they can travel all they want. Also some can even apply for a waiver to be able to own a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies