Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does this board lean politically
I lean more to the left and feel this board leans more to the left 9 3.98%
I lean more to the left and feel this board leans more to the right 112 49.56%
I lean more to the right and feel this board leans more to the right 25 11.06%
I lean more to the right and feel this board leans more to the left 80 35.40%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The thread topic is subjective, but your statement regarding the ration between right and left-leaning people is not. Is there a poll on that?
Anyway, if the ratio is 2:1, it would confirm my theory that people on the right compensate their numerical minority by means of more aggression and extremism. I mean, I have read many outright racist, militaristic, nationalist, and fascist posts here, but I can't remember having read any outright communist posts or anything like that.
I think the average left-leaning person is not as far from the center as the average right-leaning person.
I have read many very extreme sentiments by the left on this forum.

Personally, I am VERY centrist in my views and I tend to drift towards the right or the left during a debate depending on which side needs more support (as I like a balanced point of view). I have never argued a liberal point on this forum, as that point of view is always over-represented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
It is funny, when a poll is set up to possibly have an outcome, that contradicts itself by addition.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
The board is dominated by a handful of people posting over and over again who have very right-wing views. It’s impossible to say what the “average” view is because the numbers are so skewed.

I imagine, like the country, the average is somewhere in the center.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
The thread topic is subjective, but your statement regarding the ration between right and left-leaning people is not. Is there a poll on that?
Anyway, if the ratio is 2:1, it would confirm my theory that people on the right compensate their numerical minority by means of more aggression and extremism. I mean, I have read many outright racist, militaristic, nationalist, and fascist posts here, but I can't remember having read any outright communist posts or anything like that.
I think the average left-leaning person is not as far from the center as the average right-leaning person.
I said it WAS 2:1 last week--the last time I actually looked at the numbers--not IS. As I also stated previously, the ratio between self-described left leaners and self-described right leaners has tightened over the weekend.

Only objective research into the postings on this forum of perhaps the past 2-3 years could confirm or debunk your subjective opinion that right leaners tend to be "racist, militaristic, nationalistic and fascist" and even the interpretation of those terms would tend to be subjective. What a left leaner would think of as "nationalistic" a right leaner might see as "patriotic". Ditto the term "militaristic". A left leaner might think that to mean "invading conquering army" and a right leaner might view it as "pro-active defensive action". Polls and studies can be constructed to give pre-determined outcomes.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have read many very extreme sentiments by the left on this forum.

Personally, I am VERY centrist in my views and I tend to drift towards the right or the left during a debate depending on which side needs more support (as I like a balanced point of view). I have never argued a liberal point on this forum, as that point of view is always over-represented.
I see it quite differently. But then again, maybe because I am European. From my perspective 90% of the posters on this board are conservative

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
I see it quite differently. But then again, maybe because I am European. From my perspective 90% of the posters on this board are conservative
Nationality differences are definitely not something I always take into consideration as much as I should....this is a very good point.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
The difference in interpretation between a European's definitions of "liberal" and "conservative" has been discussed before on other threads. From what I remember, the Europeans posted that what Americans think of as "liberal" is actually considered "conservative" in Europe. So, using that reference point, what you are saying then is that "90% of the posters on this board are [liberal]".

Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
You know, after doing exhausting research if does appear that the majority of the posts on this forum are done by right leaning posters. however, its just a few very vocal group that tend to post about 10 different topics a day each. So it seems like the majority of the people that actually come here are just lurking and reading the crazy topics that are posted here day and night. Only a few people actually post. Maybe its due to work productivity or realizing that if you post in one of these threads you risk being drag into an argument fools (on both sides ).

Old 08-15-2011, 09:34 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
This is a very well-balanced forum. One never gets the feeling that some posters even get paid to constantly start one-sided threads. One can never predict how a few posters will react to any thread. All 4 choices from the OP implied that the forum may 'tilt' away from an ideal, centrist, thought-provoking, polite intellectual debate - and we know that is not true.

I would vote a 5th option : "Although I may lean left or right, I can always count on coming here for an honest unbiased discussion, which has changed my mind and expanded my horizon so many times".

Old 08-15-2011, 09:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Right of center is not the same as extreme right wing. Not to mention that you can share political ideologies with someone and not share their methods. Most of my family is pretty conservative and few of them sound like the right wingers on this board.
What is your criteria for extreme right wing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies