Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:40 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times

Advertisements

Ah, another blame the boomers thread we worked for a living and did not depend on mummy and daddy
Take a look in the mirror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 04:12 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I pay approx. $400 for my health coverage via Medicare, which is more than I paid when I was younger and working. Getting kind of tired of hearing about my "free" health care....
i'd say you're getting a bargain. medicare is about a $485 billion / year program. $182b comes from payroll taxes, and $60b comes from premiums.

the other $240 billion or so , comes out of the general revenues. that information comes from the trustees report.

another analysis (not from the government) that I saw suggested that Medicare is a $250,000 gift to every senior, from the government, for end of life care. this includes the amounts paid in. so i'd say unless you have plans to leave your kids $250,000, then the people on medicare don't have much room to talk about other generations being 'entitled.'

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-09-2011 at 04:24 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i'd say you're getting a bargain. medicare is about a $485 billion / year program. $182b comes from payroll taxes, and $60b comes from premiums.

the other $240 billion or so , comes out of the general revenues. that information comes from the trustees report.

another analysis (not from the government) that I saw suggested that Medicare is a $250,000 gift to every senior, from the government, for end of life care. this includes the amounts paid in. so i'd say unless you have plans to leave your kids $250,000, then the people on medicare don't have much room to talk about other generations being 'entitled.'
It may be a bargain, but it's not free.

I am not one of the "people on Medicare" who have made comments about other generations being entitled. And, FWIW, my husband and I plan to leave our children a lot more than $250K.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I got nada from my mom's estate. She was poor all of her life.

Pretty broad and inaccurate brush you're painting with.
What happened to you personally is irrelevant, we are talking about the entire population!
Talk about being self absorbed.: smack:
Do you think you represent the entire boomer generation?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
My parents left my sister and I a nice chunk of change they owned their home had medical life insurance plans planned for their deaths with plot and tombstone ready to go.They took responsibilities for theirselves and were not a burden on others,left little or no bills to be paid even after cancer took both of them in 18 months.Both worked at a very young age before the Great Depression Mom on the farm Dad washing dishes setting bowling pins sweeping up shops low pay hard busy work.

They passed that on to the rest of us who in turn have passed these values on to our kids who enjoy the fruits of their labor.I plan on leaving my children and grandchildren something if we could just keep the damn government hand out of my pants while i lie stonecold dead.End the Inheritance Tax or as I call it the Death Tax.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What happened to you personally is irrelevant, we are talking about the entire population!
I think you missed the point of chielgirl's post. I believe she was trying to say that she does NOT represent the entire Boomer generation and therefore doesn't want to be be painted with the "selfish, spoiled and entitled" brush with which many feel free to paint the entire generation. Why should she (or anyone) have to silently accept being judged not on their actions, but on the actions of others?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
My parents left my sister and I a nice chunk of change they owned their home had medical life insurance plans planned for their deaths with plot and tombstone ready to go.They took responsibilities for theirselves and were not a burden on others,left little or no bills to be paid even after cancer took both of them in 18 months.Both worked at a very young age before the Great Depression Mom on the farm Dad washing dishes setting bowling pins sweeping up shops low pay hard busy work.

They passed that on to the rest of us who in turn have passed these values on to our kids who enjoy the fruits of their labor.I plan on leaving my children and grandchildren something if we could just keep the damn government hand out of my pants while i lie stonecold dead.End the Inheritance Tax or as I call it the Death Tax.
You have to be quite wealthy to pay an inheritance tax...not everyone pays it.

And so what if you do... paying it means you have tons of money...besides ,your lazy kids should work for and EARN their own "fruits"..

Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So what. They earned it, they can do whatever they want with it. I tell my mom I want to lend her her last dollar.

I have a suggestion - if you want to have a lot of money, earn it like they did. The fact that you shared this makes you seem a little selfish.
I agree. That is what we told my in-laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. They earned it. They should enjoy it. And it has nothing to do with being part of the baby boomer generation.
Exactly! There's nothing wrong with splurging a little in one's retirement years, after working hard for the previous 40-50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a hilarious thread. People complaining that their parents won't leave them any money because their parents are selfish. Someone needs to look up the word "irony." I hear it's good for your blood.

I wish my dad had spent a little more money on enjoying himself. Too late now.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
previous generations didnt have to worry anout the albratros of medicare

save this country...eliminate all medicare/ medicaid/ welfare/ food stamps/ UE/ and sS.....and all other garbage that everyone thinks they are ENTITLED to
Yeah, right. My grandparents' generation didn't have to worry about Medicare; they had to worry about how to afford to go to the hospital.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You have to be quite wealthy to pay an inheritance tax...not everyone pays it.

And so what if you do... paying it means you have tons of money...besides ,your lazy kids should work for and EARN their own "fruits"..
LOL. A Boomer who leaves their kids an inheritance will be accused of having lazy kids. If they spend it all, they'll be accused of selfishness.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 09-09-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I think you missed the point of chielgirl's post. I believe she was trying to say that she does NOT represent the entire Boomer generation and therefore doesn't want to be be painted with the "selfish, spoiled and entitled" brush with which many feel free to paint the entire generation. Why should she (or anyone) have to silently accept being judged not on their actions, but on the actions of others?
I agree with the above response by UNC4Me. I'd like to add, the link this thead is based on profiles a few parents saying they're going to spend all their money, and blows that into "the entire Baby Boomer generation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies