Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times

Advertisements

JMO but parenthood in U.S. is different since divorce rates are so high, over 60% now- and many men have to pay child support- their pay is garnished so...I can sort of understand why they may relinquish and relish when the kid turns 18- Im not defending it, but divorced parents pay up the wazzoo for it, the laws are skewed I have seen it many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope

it is yes and no

You as their other children (your siblings and half siblings) are not liable for any of their bills, unless you co-signed something.

AGAIN.... you STILL don't get it. If you co-signed something, then you are liable as a CO-SIGNER, NOT as their child. 2 different things. Why is this so hard?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope
Once people die, everything they have house, cars, money in the bank, become their estate, someone is put over their estate(usually one of the kids). the person over the estate pays all of the bills of the people who died, from this.

They may sell the cars, and the house and pay the bills, After all this money is gone if there is still bills they merely notify them that there is no more money in the estate and they will not be paid.

the kids are the estate..they are the NOK..the NOK which will have controll of the estate will have to pay the DEBTS first, before they would get anything...
AGAIN...that is VOLUNTARY job if the kids(s) decide to do it themselves. They are NOT the estate. They are under no legal obligation to do so.

AGAIN... why is this so hard?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
AGAIN...that is VOLUNTARY job if the kids(s) decide to do it themselves. They are NOT the estate. They are under no legal obligation to do so.

AGAIN... why is this so hard?
apparently you fail to understand what the estate is

you (the ONLY CHILD) is the SOLE HEIR to the estate..you are the estate..the estate has a DEBT..YOU (being the estate/estate-holder) has to pay those debts from the estate, until the estate is exausted

that is FACT

it is not voluntary...if the kids (NOK) decide not to do it the STATE will do it for them (taking thier PROBATE fees with them...)

Last edited by workingclasshero; 09-08-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
http://www.editoon.com/pix/sandbox/katzenjammer.jpg (broken link)

Here is a photo from my last birthday. Would you leave these awful children any money?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Sadly you are correct. This has turned out to be the most selfish, irresponsible generation every churned out in this countries history. I think they were babied by their parents too much after going through the hard times in the early part of the century. Their parents didn't want their children to go through the same. Now this spoiled brat generation just wants it all for themselves. Well uncle sam wants a chunk when they die too.
BINGO! KUchief25 got BINGO!

This was the richest most fortunate generation that the US had ever produced and what did they do to show their gratitude? They gave their parents the finger in the form of the 60's "counter revolution/culture". I can only guess at the heartache felt by the Depression/WW2 generation as their kids eschewed their values while attending the universities their parents paid for.

Now they are going to give the finger to their children in the form of a disinheritance for "crimes" the kids haven't even committed yet. This truly was the "Me Generation".

For the record, most children love their parents enough that they will be more than happy to see them enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
This single mother will be leaving her house to her daughter.
My house is free and clear; paid for.
I don't have any credit card debt.

What she does with my 'junk' after I die will be up to her.

I sure as heck won't care!!!

Too bad you didn't have a better parent.
Actually my parents are millionaires. They had me young though, so I'll be an old man and hopefully quite comfortable on my own by the time I get an inheritance. My parents did a good job raising me, considering I've been on my own for 17 hand-out free years.

Of course it's stupid to say ALL boomers are that way, but it's hard to ignore the trend.

Last edited by Chango; 09-08-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
somebody left me a rep that said:

so seniors shouldn't get their medical care after paying for years?

do people out there REALLY think that seniors paid their fair share of medicare costs? If you gave them "What they paid for" it would not go very far.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I am not talking about philanthropy, I am talking about family dynasties, the preservation of family wealth.
Something that escapes a throw away culture.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There was no "windfall". Boomers worked hard, paid taxes and saved money for retirement. There is no greed. They are not self centered. And they don't need leeches trying to get their hard earned savings.
The WWII amassed 80 billion dollars in net worth and passed that wealth on to the boomers. It was the biggest transfer of wealth in history. Of course, many let it go to their heads and lost a good part of it buying McMansions and living above their means on credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies