Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times

Advertisements

Good for them, if they want to be selfish, they can get selfishness in return.

Lets start cutting Medicare for anyone in the middle class or above. If they're so keen on spending their own money let them spend it on staying alive. Their money is more likely to go to Americans than overseas if they spend it on health care vs. travel or expensive imported products. It will be less government spending. If they run out of money and die......well then they're reaping the rewards of their own selfishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I'd say the bigger problem is that the Republicans refused to consider increasing revenues.. I'm all for taking away the Bush cuts for the upper % of income earners, and actually, if it would be the only way to do it, just take them away all together.
uhm

the tax cuts helped to INCREASE revenues

the problem was the spending

Old 09-07-2011, 09:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I've told my parents to spend it all. They saved and worked hard and deserve to have fun. While My sister and I were going to school and just starting out professionally my Mom did a lot for us financially. All I expect if for them not to leave me any bills
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Hoping my parents live long enough to squander all of their current retirement funds. I don't want it.. They have done enough for me already..
Our adult children tell us the same thing.

My husband and I have done all we can to plan for our senior years. We have adequate income, retirement savings, long term care ins, and pre paid burial arrangements. We have also paid for a prepaid tuition plan for our grandson.

We don't want our children to have to worry about "how do we take care of mom and dad." We have no plans to intentionally spend everything we have, but you never know what the future holds. Whatever is left when we are gone goes to our kids.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I'd say the bigger problem is that the Republicans refused to consider increasing revenues..
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

it doesn't really matter. y'all are just talking the same left-right issues that we've discussed ad nauseum.

what i'm saying is that public opinion reflects our fundamental ignorance about the budget, for lefties and righties and everyone inbetween. The analogy I'd use is that 85% of Americans agree that we want the vehicle to stop, but only 30% of Americans advocate that we take our foot off the throttle, and no one is seriously considering that we hit the brakes.

i cannot figure out whether this is geniune ignorance, where people don't know, or whether it is denial that Medicare is actually a cost problem, or denial that Medicare has not been adequately paid for.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Our adult children tell us the same thing.

My husband and I have done all we can to plan for our senior years. We have adequate income, retirement savings, long term care ins, and pre paid burial arrangements. We have also paid for a prepaid tuition plan for our grandson.

We don't want our children to have to worry about "how do we take care of mom and dad." We have no plans to intentionally spend everything we have, but you never know what the future holds. Whatever is left when we are gone goes to our kids.
I wish my parents had just gone out and spent it, and had some fun in their retirement age

when my father retired in 1987, I told them to sell the house buy a RV and tour the world..nope they put my sister through college, helped my sister raise her kid. and now they are home bound, too old to enjoy the beauty of this country

Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i cannot figure out whether this is geniune ignorance, where people don't know, or whether it is denial that Medicare is actually a cost problem, or denial that Medicare has not been adequately paid for.
its not just medicare...but medicaid too

fy 10 we spend 870 billion FEDERAL dollars on medicare and medicarid (580 billion and 320 billion respectively)....not to mention the state monies

and what the people advocative singlepayer, dont realize is singlepayer will cost between 2.5 to 5 trillion A YEAR

Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Are baby boomers being selfish, they might have lived through a couple of rough patches but overall the economy they grew up in is better than then the one their kids live in today.

"My goal is when they carry me away in that box that my bank account is going to say zero," Willison said. "I'm going to spoil myself now."

Many baby boomers don't plan to leave their children an inheritance - latimes.com
Well back to the TOPIC!

I am a baby boomer.

The week I graduated from high school I started paying my parents rent!

I moved out within a year and have been independent ever since.

I worked for, EARNED, everything I ever had.

I never expected, nor got, FREE hand outs from my parents or anyone else.

I am now retired comfortably and DEBT FREE!

Get back to me when you can say the same thing!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

No they didn't after the tax cuts were implemented it took until 2005 for revenues to reach the level they were at in 2000 and that is with 5 years of inflation and economic growth.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
My boomer siblings and I have repeatedly told our parents to splurge on themselves, not even think about leaving anything to us.

What adult child wouldn't?
Same here. My mother would always say "well, I want to leave you something" and I would joke with her "you can leave me the bill". *chuckle*

Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No they didn't after the tax cuts were implemented it took until 2005 for revenues to reach the level they were at in 2000 and that is with 5 years of inflation and economic growth.
false

revenus increased over 27% from 2001 to 2007...since 2007 it has dropped because of the recession

SPENDING has INCREASED over 60% since 2007...its up over 400% since 1990((((our 'budget' was 1 trillion in 1990...now just 20 years later....... its nearly 4 trillion (3.7 trillion)........ in just 20 years the spending has quadrupled))))

btw the gross COLLECTIONS of INDIVIDUAL income tax in 2000 was 1.13 trillion and in 2007 was 1.36 trillion...total from CORPORATE taxes in 2000 235 billion and in 2007 395 billion......total from employement tax (payroll(ss/medicare) in 2000 639 billion and in 2007 was 849 billion..........

total revenue in 2000 was 2.09 trillion...ACTUAL
total revenue in 2007 was 2.69 trillion....ACTUAL
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/07db06co.xls

the WHOLE GAMBIT.....:
COLLECTIONS of INDIVIDUAL income tax in 2000 was 1.13 trillion
.............. ...total from CORPORATE taxes in 2000 235 billion
... total from employement tax (payroll(ss/medicare) in 2000 639 billion

for a TOTAL of total revenue in 2000 was 2.09 trillion...

AS PER
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/07db06co.xls

revenue in 2007 was 2.7(2.69 to be exact) trillion and INCREASE of 30% from 2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies