Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times

Advertisements

Boomers are selfish for not leaving inheritances? Sounds like their progeny have an air of entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
For people who complain about the current generation of children and 20 somethings... who raised them? There is no such thing as the "Greatest Generation" or at least we haven't seen them yet.

My parents have helped support me in tough times (i.e. college and helping with a downpayment on my first home). I do not have children yet but I already have money (even stocks ugh) set aside for future potential kids. If I have done well I want to do well by my children. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you create an unsustainable brat while doing that you have failed at parenting elsewhere. Wealth is only created through passing finances down through generations. And everyone know what happens to simply the "rich".

Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
I don't think they are being selfish, it's their money.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Baby Boomers are definitely the most self-centered generation in history.

All the Baby Boomer parents I know have already given their kids college educations and in some cases, down payments for their adult children's houses. Self-centered? Not true at all.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think a bunch of people who sit around and write articles and whine about how they aren't going to get money when mommy and daddy die are FAR MORE self-centered than the boomers.
Amen to that! For the record, my (divorced) Baby Boomer parents are 50/50 on the issue... my mother doesn't have much to leave, aside from a generous life insurance policy, but my father has the means & intent to leave us plenty. And no, I do NOT expect or feel entitled to anything, just saying what I know of their future plans - and I know more than I probably should, since my attorney sister wrote their wills.

That being said, I would be happy if they're around for another 20+ years... so hopefully I won't be getting anything anytime soon. And if they did manage to spend it all (or left me/us out of the will), I'd be fine with that too. The best things they've given me have been a good education, opportunities, and the desire to be self-sufficient and successful. So I don't really need their money, and would feel no resentment if they left nothing behind. After all, THEY earned it!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Are baby boomers being selfish, they might have lived through a couple of rough patches but overall the economy they grew up in is better than then the one their kids live in today.

"My goal is when they carry me away in that box that my bank account is going to say zero," Willison said. "I'm going to spoil myself now."

Many baby boomers don't plan to leave their children an inheritance - latimes.com
Not surprising, they've already left us the bill when it comes to the massive debts they rung up in government.

After the greatest generation came the not so great generation, it would seem...

Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Then why did you post that comment with no additional information in a thread titled "Baby boomers don't plan to leave their children an inheritance"?
No need to add more additional information because I tend to become THE target of more idiots who are affiliated with certain groups. I can list more about the Baby Boom generation besides being self-centered.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
The boomer motto of "f*k you, got mine" continues.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
No need to add more additional information because I become THE target of more idiots who are affiliated with certain groups. I can list more about the Baby Boom generation besides being self-centered.
So you post things randomly in threads and expect people just go with it?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm guessing plenty of baby boomers couldn't leave anything behind if they wanted to. Most of us X & Y'ers are gonna be hard pressed to throw away all our parent's worthless junk before the banks foreclose on their houses and credit card companies start harassing us about their unpaid bills.
BWAAAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
All the Baby Boomer parents I know have already given their kids college educations and in some cases, down payments for their adult children's houses. Self-centered? Not true at all.
Ditto. The main character in that story put her kid throug med school, and now says she's not going to deny herself a trip to China to have more money to leave said doctor. I think that's good thinking.

From the article:

Many boomers already are giving the equivalent of an inheritance, except they're doling out the cash while they're still alive, said Ken Dychtwald, chief executive of research firm Age Wave.

They're supporting elderly parents, adult children or other family members who are suffering professional or financial woes.

That's selfish? Coulda fooled me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies