Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times

Advertisements

Are baby boomers being selfish, they might have lived through a couple of rough patches but overall the economy they grew up in is better than then the one their kids live in today.

"My goal is when they carry me away in that box that my bank account is going to say zero," Willison said. "I'm going to spoil myself now."

Many baby boomers don't plan to leave their children an inheritance - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Ok. Fine by me. I'll be happy if my parents spend every penny THAT THEY EARNED in their lifetime. They gave me the tools to go get my own. Besides, I'd rather they spend it than the government tax it on the way down to me.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
I guess it is their money and can do what they want to. I'm pretty young, but I have a young boy and we will probably have more, and we feel like we want to leave him something when we die to help him out.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I'm guessing plenty of baby boomers couldn't leave anything behind if they wanted to. Most of us X & Y'ers are gonna be hard pressed to throw away all our parent's worthless junk before the banks foreclose on their houses and credit card companies start harassing us about their unpaid bills.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Spend all you want just make sure your life insurance is paid up so your death can pay for the national debt. Yeah your kids won't get doodly. I'm sure the governemtne will confiscate life insurance policies here soon too.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm guessing plenty of baby boomers couldn't leave anything behind if they wanted to. Most of us X & Y'ers are gonna be hard pressed to throw away all our parent's worthless junk before the banks foreclose on their houses and credit card companies start harassing us about their unpaid bills.
Sadly you are correct. This has turned out to be the most selfish, irresponsible generation every churned out in this countries history. I think they were babied by their parents too much after going through the hard times in the early part of the century. Their parents didn't want their children to go through the same. Now this spoiled brat generation just wants it all for themselves. Well uncle sam wants a chunk when they die too.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Are baby boomers being selfish, they might have lived through a couple of rough patches but overall the economy they grew up in is better than then the one their kids live in today.

"My goal is when they carry me away in that box that my bank account is going to say zero," Willison said. "I'm going to spoil myself now."

Many baby boomers don't plan to leave their children an inheritance - latimes.com
That's pretty much what my parents did and I have no problem with that. I'll probably leave something behind after my burial expenses are paid but I don't intend to leave much more. There's still a lot of things I want to do and see before I check out.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
My boomer siblings and I have repeatedly told our parents to splurge on themselves, not even think about leaving anything to us.

What adult child wouldn't?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Baby Boomers are definitely the most self-centered generation in history.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Baby Boomers are definitely the most self-centered generation in history.
I think a bunch of people who sit around and write articles and whine about how they aren't going to get money when mommy and daddy die are FAR MORE self-centered than the boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies