Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The WWII amassed 80 billion dollars in net worth and passed that wealth on to the boomers. It was the biggest transfer of wealth in history. Of course, many let it go to their heads and lost a good part of it buying McMansions and living above their means on credit.
And, they will be the same ones...that when they are
really old and sick sigh "I'm on a fixed income".

Who pays for that.....their taxable, working children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
JMO but parenthood in U.S. is different since divorce rates are so high, over 60% now- and many men have to pay child support- their pay is garnished so...I can sort of understand why they may relinquish and relish when the kid turns 18- Im not defending it, but divorced parents pay up the wazzoo for it, the laws are skewed I have seen it many times.
The divorced parent generally pays a fixed amount every month. How does that compare to the ever increasing costs of having that child under your own roof?

Women are aslo ordered to pay child support so it isn't only the men who are responsible.

How does that effect whether you will leave the child an inheritance as the child needs food and clothing regardless.

For me, I'm leaving mine to charity if anything is left as I want to support what I didn't have the time to while I was supporting a child.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Baby Boomers are definitely the most self-centered generation in history.
Agreed. At least in this country's history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Not surprising, they've already left us the bill when it comes to the massive debts they rung up in government.

After the greatest generation came the not so great generation, it would seem...

Yes, agree with this also. Thanks for dumping an inordinate amount of debt upon us.

Note that I'm ok with them spending their own money and not leaving an inheritance for that is their money.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
again just my opinion but if a man has paid support for ten years, and is then divorced, why would he want to leave money to the child? The support has been paid. Its 50% of a persons salary in NY area.

Once a child is 18/20 he is an adult and can fend for himself.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

What yardstick is used to measure that?

Even if it could be measured or counted, everyone has the right to distribute their assets as they wish and not be bulled just because they gave birth.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I can't stand old people that talk/act like that. Acting like they are going to spend every penny they have, so no one else gets any.

Let's hope that coffin cover slams smack on her pathetic selfish ass. Will probably die alone too - serves her right.
Are you serious? They can't spend the money THEY'VE EARNED however they want? Quite the little communist, now, aren't we?

Selfish? No, selfish is wanting to STEAL someone else's hard earned money because they think it's fair.

I'm loving all the love and harmony coming from the left these days. The money train is reaching the end of the track, and they're getting downright nasty.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yes, agree with this also. Thanks for dumping an inordinate amount of debt upon us.
I'm going to have to clarify for you and anyone else who
thinks the baby boomer is the one who is over 65 today.
That would be the "silent generation" born between
1925–1945. They've been collecting all the time. Most of
the Greatest Generation is almost dead 1914-1924.

Let's all be clear - the Baby Boomers have yet to milk
the system - that is something that can only be
attributed so far to generations that have come before
them

Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Are you serious? They can't spend the money THEY'VE EARNED however they want? Quite the little communist, now, aren't we?

Selfish? No, selfish is wanting to STEAL someone else's hard earned money because they think it's fair.

I'm loving all the love and harmony coming from the left these days. The money train is reaching the end of the track, and they're getting downright nasty.
I'm not left - and I have no idea what argument your
trying to make. I agree - if your trying to steal my
tax dollars to pay for what you did yesterday - I totally
agree

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Deja vu all over again

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ding-your.html

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It's not the money - it's that selfish mentality that bothers me. Most folks that talk like that - have a marginal nest egg at most. When they get older, and they will... they are the ones that all of a sudden cry poverty, while everyone
else foots the bill for their own lack of long term planning.

Call someone else a brat. I not only have provided for myself - my child has a living trust. I plan on passing on
my assets to the next generation. We are a self reliant
people.
Irony overload here. So it's selfish to work your whole life and NOT give it to your children when you die. It's not selfish to expect someone else to sacrifice so that you can get that money, even though you've not earned it. Do I have that right?

And you're self reliant, but your kid doesn't have to be. That makes your kid a brat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies