Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What are the demographics of the students in your school district? If you don't know, just give me the name of the school district and I can find out for myself. Thanks.
why you say demographic...which do you mean

ethnic or free/reduced lunch, or spending per pupil
???

I'll give all 3

about 64% white17%asian, 17%hispanic
about 10 % free/reduce

spending per pupil 18k

east meadow, new york

Mcvey elementary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
"The problem is educators' singular focus on equal educational outcomes."

Our schools don't cater to the best students but the worst. If Joey isn't up to speed everybody else must wait until he/she is to move on to the next step. Instead of moving the achievers up they are forced to be held in check. This is the one major problem that isn't being addressed. Part of it is we don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt for not being able to keep up. It's almost impossible to fail a class unless you just don't show up to school. That is how bad it's gotten.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

???

I'll give all 3

about 10 % free/reduce

spending per pupil 18k

east meadow, new york

Mcvey elementary
Well, there you have your answer. Poverty rate in your school is about 10%. Your school is majority white with a significant Asian minority.

Research repeatedly indicates that school achievement percentages decrease as the students living poverty levels increase.

My school district is in S. Florida, where students living in poverty are the majority in most schools.

Your school does well because its students come from good homes. It's not the schools, it's the parents that make the difference.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Our schools don't cater to the best students but the worst. If Joey isn't up to speed everybody else must wait until he/she is to move on to the next step. Instead of moving the achievers up they are forced to be held in check. This is the one major problem that isn't being addressed.
Exactly.

That's why our very best high school students rank LAST and 2nd to LAST in international comparisons of their similarly highly achieveing peers in other countries in math and science (calculus and advanced physics).

Old 09-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Our schools don't cater to the best students but the worst. If Joey isn't up to speed everybody else must wait until he/she is to move on to the next step. Instead of moving the achievers up they are forced to be held in check. This is the one major problem that isn't being addressed. Part of it is we don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt for not being able to keep up. It's almost impossible to fail a class unless you just don't show up to school. That is how bad it's gotten.
And who, exactly, do you believe is responsible for the above policy??

Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Well, there you have your answer. Poverty rate in your school is about 10%. Your school is majority white with a significant Asian minority.

Research repeatedly indicates that school achievement percentages decrease as the students living poverty levels increase.

My school district is in S. Florida, where students living in poverty are the majority in most schools.

Your school does well because its students come from good homes. It's not the schools, it's the parents that make the difference.
That's an absolutely accurate statement. My daughter's school is an incredibly high performing school due to the demographics of the student population and the parental involvement. Arts programs got cut and the parents pay for the Arts program now, which earns multiple national awards. We have 100% PTA involvement. So yes, this does make an enormous difference. To pretend otherwise is foolhardy.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just to beat a dead horse. Only THREE states have set "world class standards". Massachusetts, South Carolina, and Missouri. Guess our standards in South Carolina are just tougher than those in New York.

Few States Set World-Class Standards : Education Next

This article is arguing for NCLB but with better defined standards, so that should help your argument. Even with that, I still tend to err on the side of states because when you get to that Federal level, you tend to get too many politics in the way.
interesting

this one rates SC as dead last

State education ranking shows Vermont #1, South Carolina Last | Vermont Business Magazine

I notice where mount pleasant is..on the water as a suburb of Charlsten...its a rich area..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

???

I'll give all 3

about 10 % free/reduce

spending per pupil 18k

east meadow, new york

Mcvey elementary
18K per pupil? Wow. So $540K for a class of 30 and somehow they can't teach em. That is unbelievable the amount of money thrown and schools and they cry for more. System broke? Yep.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly.

That's why our very best high school students rank LAST and 2nd to LAST in international comparisons of their similarly highly achieveing peers in other countries in math and science (calculus and advanced physics).
Source for the above paragraph, please. Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
And who, exactly, do you believe is responsible for the above policy??
Well Bush wasn't president when I went to school. They did the same thing back then. Of course the push when I was in jr high was the pod system where we were put in a new school with big circular rooms and dividers splitting it into fours. Nice access to tossing stuff back and forth at each other is about all that achieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies