Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 01:50 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think anyone who wants an "intellectual" discussion of this issue (which is really supposed to be Rubio, not Obama), needs to tuck away these crazy conspiracy theories.....
but eventually all the current birther arguments wrap around to a conspiracy theory. take for example the "de vattel" and/or the minor/wong kim ark interpretation arguments. the citizenship of obama's father was well known long before the campaign as well as US and UK citizenship law. yet not a single authority has come forward to champion that cause with the exception of leo donofrio ( who was the first to do so one week before the 2008 election ) and mario apuzzo. neither of which could be considered a constitutional expert even by the loosest of definitions. so now we have over 99.9998% of the legal community ( plus historians and constitutional experts ) knowing all the facts but not agreeing with the birthers interpretation of those facts. when asked why this is the only answers i've received from birthers is:

a): they've all been bought off or intimidated into silence ( conspiracy )
or
b): an overwhelming fear of being ridiculed ( assumedly by the conspirators ).

Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,525 times
Quote:
I think anyone who wants an "intellectual" discussion of this issue (which is really supposed to be Rubio, not Obama), needs to tuck away these crazy conspiracy theories like Obama being the son of Malocom X and other nutty arguments like "how can a 5'9" father produce a 6'2" son?" A person can believe this garbage if they want, but it is not "intellectual", it's "National Enquirer" stuff.

Also, where does the nickname "Barry" come from? Anyone with an IQ over 90 can see that "Barry" is an anglicized, "pet" name for "Barack". Better to ask, "Where does the nickname "Dick" come from regarding Richard Nixon, "Jimmy" for James Carter, and "Bill" for William Clinton?"

You are forgetting the Hawaii Christian name law. Barack is not a Christian name.

The name Barack Hussein Obama was illegal in 1961. This is a fact. Obama may have been born in Hawaii...but the birth certificate has been altered.

Any way it does not matter where he was born..Obama fails the subject to jurisdiction in the 14th Amendment, Wong Kim Ark and he fails two citizen parents.

If the truth be told Obama should have been deported with his father back in 1964.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
You are forgetting the Hawaii Christian name law. Barack is not a Christian name.
i know the law you are talking about but, out of morbid curiosity, what exactly do you consider a "christian name"?

Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i know the law you are talking about but, out of morbid curiosity, what exactly do you consider a "christian name"?

It does not matter the definition of a Christian name. It does not matter Barack is not a Christian name. It does not matter his father was deported. It does not matter his father was not a permanent resident or domiciled. It does not matter his father was not a citizen.

Any person..inhabitant..spurious born..alien..can be President. It is what you guys want. The heck with the Constitution..white guys wrote it..never mind those white guys fought a long bloody war.

This is 2011 not 1776. The hell with the Founders. Keep the borders open...flood the cities and villages..with illegal aliens.

Let their children be president. Its a new era. The Anglo Saxon reign is over..

The United States will not exist in a 100 years. Bet on it.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post

The name Barack Hussein Obama was illegal in 1961. This is a fact. Obama may have been born in Hawaii...but the birth certificate has been altered.

Any way it does not matter where he was born..Obama fails the subject to jurisdiction in the 14th Amendment, Wong Kim Ark and he fails two citizen parents.

If the truth be told Obama should have been deported with his father back in 1964.
The name Barack is in the Bible. It's as Christian as Aaron, Jacob, Abraham, David, etc.

What is the origin of the name Barack

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Quote:
The name Barack is in the Bible. It's as Christian as Aaron, Jacob, Abraham, David, etc.

What is the origin of the name Barack
The President's first name, Barack, is a Swahili name that has its origins in the Arabic language. The original Arabic root of the name (B-R-K) means "blessed." In Arabic, the root word is used in many other phrases to denote blessings and to describe people who are blessed:
  • Mabruk! = "Congratulations!"
  • Barakallah feek = "May God bless you"
  • Barakah = blessings from God (feminine version of the name)
President Obama's middle name is Hussein, which was his grandfather's first name. The name, of Arabic origin, means "good" or "handsome one." It is common in Muslim cultures for children (both boys and girls) to have a middle name which directly connects them to their father or grandfather.
President Obama's surname is not uncommon among the Luo tribe, one of the three largest ethnic groups in Kenya. They speak the Dhoulou language.
http://islam.about.com/od/us2004election/f/obama.htm

Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
wow. unfreaking belivable. you're actually giving some merit to the "bastard son of malcolm x" claim. i honestly thought you were smarter then that claud.

wow again, a 3rd grade understanding of genetics would answer that question. my mum was 5'2" my dad was 5'4" i'm 6'0" (...... about the same hight as my maternal grandfather ).

no, i'm not willing to give merit to blatantly delusional theories.

nope, and our opinion stays consistent with that of 99.9998% of the legal community.

and what if all 50 states say obama is qualified?

very odd indeed considering:

a) congress never asked either.
b) mccain never supplied congress with any birth records.
c) never being asked obama never had the opportunity to refuse.

( this is old birther 101 stuff claud. you should know this ).
It's not only his height, it's the resemblance, the lips, the mannerisms - but it doesn't matter for the purposes of this thread.
Yes, there was a Congressional investigation as to McCains eligibility, he produced his birth records. They passed a bill, with Obama signing, that McCain was a natural born citizen, therefore eligible. They did not inquire about Obama's eligibility. You know all this.

John Sidney McCain, III, was born to American citizens on an American Naval base in the Panama Canal Zone in 1936. Numerous legal scholars have looked into the purpose and intent of the “natural born Citizen” requirement. As far as I am aware, no one has unearthed any reason to think that the Framers would have wanted to limit the rights of children born to military families stationed abroad or that such a limited view would serve any noble purpose enshrined in our founding document. Based on the understanding of the pertinent sources of constitutional meaning, it is widely believed that if someone is born to American citizens anywhere in the world they are natural born citizens.
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/13304

Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The President's first name, Barack, is a Swahili name that has its origins in the Arabic language. The original Arabic root of the name (B-R-K) means "blessed." In Arabic, the root word is used in many other phrases to denote blessings and to describe people who are blessed:
  • Mabruk! = "Congratulations!"
  • Barakallah feek = "May God bless you"
  • Barakah = blessings from God (feminine version of the name)
President Obama's middle name is Hussein, which was his grandfather's first name. The name, of Arabic origin, means "good" or "handsome one." It is common in Muslim cultures for children (both boys and girls) to have a middle name which directly connects them to their father or grandfather.
President Obama's surname is not uncommon among the Luo tribe, one of the three largest ethnic groups in Kenya. They speak the Dhoulou language.
Barack Obama - Meaning of Barack Obama Name
I think my source is more complete. It says:

The word "Barack" is shared among several languages. First, it is a word in the (Semitic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Semitic family of languages. As such it mistakenly has been thought to have the root in Hebrew written as baruch, but since the word Barak in Hebrew exists independently, pronounced as Barak with no twisting of sounds, it is the true word from which any meaning should be taken. A version in Aramaic (berek), a version in Arabic (baraka).

Barack or Barak means 'lightning' in Hebrew. The name Barak is also mentioned in the Bible in the book of Judges. Barak was part of the story of the prophetess Deborah.

Read more: What is the origin of the name Barack

Old 11-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I think my source is more complete. It says:

The word "Barack" is shared among several languages. First, it is a word in the (Semitic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Semitic family of languages. As such it mistakenly has been thought to have the root in Hebrew written as baruch, but since the word Barak in Hebrew exists independently, pronounced as Barak with no twisting of sounds, it is the true word from which any meaning should be taken. A version in Aramaic (berek), a version in Arabic (baraka).

Barack or Barak means 'lightning' in Hebrew. The name Barak is also mentioned in the Bible in the book of Judges. Barak was part of the story of the prophetess Deborah.

Read more: What is the origin of the name Barack
I like mine better.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It's not only his height, it's the resemblance, the lips, the mannerisms - but it doesn't matter for the purposes of this thread.
Yes, there was a Congressional investigation as to McCains eligibility, he produced his birth records. They passed a bill, with Obama signing, that McCain was a natural born citizen, therefore eligible. They did not inquire about Obama's eligibility. You know all this.
That Malcolm X stuff is just plain nuts, and as long as you use this as "evidence", I'll consider your posts non-contributory to an "intellectual" discussion.

John McCain did not release his birth certificate to anyone excpet a WaPo reporter. However, the reporter's version of McCain's birth is not the only one.

Natural-born-citizen clause of the U.S. Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The urban legend fact checking website Snopes.com has examined the matter and cites numerous experts. It considers the matter "undetermined".[74]

But you knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies