Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Republicans need an acceptable minority to demonize. The poor idiots that vote for them have to be whipped into fear and hate in order to vote against their own best interests. If blacks were still acceptable to demonize like gays are now, they'd use blacks as their scapegoats.
I'm not a registered Republican but voted that way in the last few elections. I am extremely conservative though. I'd like to address your accusations.

I don't consider myself an idiot. I graduated 3rd in my class from high school. I graduated from college first in my degree (computer information systems) and have an MBA. I grew into this my political beliefs because I earned everything I have now and should I decide to keep it or give it away is my and only my decision.

No one whips me into fear and hate. I don't hate anyone (except an ex-girlfriend from the 80's). I disagree with other's political beliefs.

My best interest my not be your best interest. I don't vote based on what a politician promises me or some arbitrary group I fall into. I vote based on what they will do to get out of my way and let me pursue my dream.

Gay marriage - I don't like it but it is not my place to make judgement. I would like the government to get out of licensing and recognizing marriage all together. We are individuals. If we want to enter into a religious sanctioned marriage no matter who is involved, go for it if you can find that church. As far as mingling of finances between two people, there are contracts that can be drawn up.

I am not for bullying of anyone. That being said, I was a typical bully on the football field during high school but that was as an intimidation technique against the other team. Outside of sports, I was and still am good friends with a lot of the guys.

DADT - This is a military rule. Civilian courts should not interfere with our military. Rules are in place for a reason. Next thing you know soldiers will sue so they can have long hair or not make their beds a certain way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
if they were openly bigoted towards any other minority they would be dead in the water. yet their MAIN candidates for president are OPENLY bigoted towards gays. ( and yes being against gay marriage or against the repeal of DADT or FOR bullying of gays DOES make you a bigot)

HOw can they simply just say these things openly with no consequence? they still get elected, they aren't trying to cover this up.

I'm gay and i did NOTHING wrong to deserve even a smidge of hostility or inequality. I deserve to be punished for choices i make that harm others, NOT for unchosen birth traits
Because gay people are odd and make our skin crawl? I don't know, but maybe that's it.
Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
I see and hear far more bigotry from the left than I have ever heard from the right. Religious bigotry, racism, sexism and general bigotry if your opinion differs from theirs.

How bigoted is it to assume that a race of people is stupid and that you can do more and are smarter then they are? None other than your Democratic party.

BTW, gay is not a race, it is a behavior. So one can be bigoted towards that behavior, the same way that people look at people who are violent in a different light.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
if they were openly bigoted towards any other minority they would be dead in the water. yet their MAIN candidates for president are OPENLY bigoted towards gays. ( and yes being against gay marriage or against the repeal of DADT or FOR bullying of gays DOES make you a bigot)

HOw can they simply just say these things openly with no consequence? they still get elected, they aren't trying to cover this up.

I'm gay and i did NOTHING wrong to deserve even a smidge of hostility or inequality. I deserve to be punished for choices i make that harm others, NOT for unchosen birth traits
Being against gay MARRIAGE doesn't make you against gay PEOPLE.

Please, oh please, tell me how you've been shown hostility, inequality and been punished by someone just because you're gay, instead of because of the type of personality you have.

You are obviously, openly BIGOTED against straight people, straight marriage and republicans.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I know plenty of conservatives that are not hateful towards gays, but oppose gay marriage for other reasons; usually to preserve the traditional meaning of marriage, to ensure children raised in households get both a male and female role model, etc.

I oppose gay marriage in it's current form because it will surely (and already has) infringed on the rights of the church, opening them to discrimination lawsuits if they refuse to perform a ceremony that goes against the beliefs of that church. I'd fully support a law that allowed gay marriage, as long as there is a provision that allows churches to deny those seeking same-sex marriage without threat of legal repercussion.
well said. i am against gay marriage, especially since a number of states allow same sex civil unions which have the same protections that marriage has. but by forcing churchs to perform marriages that go against their beliefs is wrong, and smacks of a state enforced religion, which is contrary to the first amendment guarantee of freedom of religion.

as for DADT, and other military rules against gays serving, the military is not a social club, it is an organization that was designed to kill people and break things. the military is also not a democracy, there has to be a proper chain of command in place, and a certain level of discipline demanded of its personal or it doesnt work properly.

personally i dont care if someone chooses to be gay or not, that is their business not mine. i have friends who are gay and as long as they dont push their lifestyle in my face, i am fine with it. i am a registered republican, and quite conservative as well.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:

The Bible is a book , that sells more copies than every other book in the world , every year , from the first book ever sold until now .
In the good book , the Bible , it tells us what many politicians say , your lifestyle is a sin . That is how they " get away " with it .

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I see and hear far more bigotry from the left than I have ever heard from the right.
Only because you are on the "other" side...

It's easy to say "the left" is bigoted if you happen to be on "the right" simply because you happen to disagree with many of the issues "the left" raises.

Likewise, it is easy to say "the right" is bigoted - for the very same reason.

Often, we lack the ability to critically look out our positions in life from a very different stance. It's not that we are too dumb or too ignorant, it's simply that we lack a complete understanding of another person's circumstances.

It's easy to say that gays shove an agenda down everybody's throat. It's much harder to comprehend the disadvantages a gay person experiences - simply because you cannot make yourself gay for a month and see for yourself.

It's easy to say Christians are anti-gay because they don't want gays to have the legal right to marry. It's much harder to comprehend that many Christians see marriage as a traditional religious matter when, clearly, government has bestowed legal rights onto this union that gays have no access to.

It's easy to say gay's have the same rights - until someone points out instances when they don't - instances that never even occurred to you.

Thus, being "openly bigoted" toward gays is simply a matter of perspective.

Others have pointed out that one could also argue that gays are openly bigoted toward Christians. I don't believe such a comparison is valid. Gays are not trying to deprive Christians of a right they already have. However, many Christians are trying to deprive gays of a right simply based on sexual orientation.

Another person said that "the left" was bigoted as soon as one did not agree with their stance. Sorry, that is a rather unintelligent statement. Staunch opposition to an opinion is just that, opposition. It has nothing to do with depriving another of their right. Alas, that person also believes that being gay is a behavior and thus, is chosen.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
The Bible is a book , that sells more copies than every other book in the world , every year , from the first book ever sold until now .
In the good book , the Bible , it tells us what many politicians say , your lifestyle is a sin . That is how they " get away " with it .
the bible also tells to hate the sin, but love the sinner. you cant just take one part and ignore the rest.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
BTW, gay is not a race, it is a behavior. So one can be bigoted towards that behavior, the same way that people look at people who are violent in a different light.

Fine, dear BigHouse, why don't you go ahead and CHOOSE to be attracted to a person of the same gender. Go ahead.

Next, act on your new-found attraction and see if you can make out with this person. Don't want to?

Okay, perhaps you should simply lay in bed tonight and CHOOSE to fantasize about him (assuming you are male). Remember, it's all choice!

So, if it's choice, why can't you make it happen?

I can tell you that I can open a number of web sites and find women that I am attracted to. I can also open up similar websites with plenty of men. Guess what! As much as I try, I cannot get myself to be attracted to one of them, let alone be aroused.

So, tell me again how being gay is a choice?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How do liberals get away with being openly bigoted towards anyone who has a different viewpoint from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies