Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Um, that's what we ARE after. civil marriages. NOBODY has a right to get married in a church, churches won't marry some straight couples if they don't believe the couple is right for each other.

Also, we can't have civil marriages because of DOMA and doma is unconstitutional, which is why the justice department is refusing to defend it. How about people stop voting in laws that aren't constitutional to deny people something they already have.
You want civil marriages because they come along with a lot of legal guarantees and protections, and that is what you are after, right?

Write down on a piece of paper, all the legal rights you want with your partner. You probably want legal protections for sharing property, insurance, financial and other more benign protections like not having to testify against each other in a court of law, and hospital visitation rights, etc...

Why do you need to be "married" by some third party at all, as long as you obtain the legal protections and such? The marriage vows and ceremony are just some old traditions taken from religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
gay marriage is legal now?

No i CAN NOT get married. it's extremely angering that people like you say this just to get a RISE out of people. I as a GAY person born with a GAY ORIENTATION can get a HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE ... JUST LIKE YOU.. except for ONE THING. YOU have a HETEROSEXUAL OREINTATION.

why would a gay person have a straight marriage? I thought it was wrong to destroy a womans life and my own by doing this? tell me, why are you so sadistic?
Why are you attacking me? Oh yeah, you hate straight people.

Yes, you CAN get married. Just go to the states that allow it.

If you really believe that not marrying your partner would destroy you life, you have more problems than can be solved by a same sex marriage.

I'm not sadistic, just realistic. And not filled with hate, as you so obviously are.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:27 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Also, we can't have civil marriages because of DOMA and doma is unconstitutional, which is why the justice department is refusing to defend it. How about people stop voting in laws that aren't constitutional to deny people something they already have.
Please, liberals don't give a damn about constitutional until it favors them. Obamacare is unconstitutional, I don't see the lefties fighting to have that repealed.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Um, that's what we ARE after. civil marriages. NOBODY has a right to get married in a church, churches won't marry some straight couples if they don't believe the couple is right for each other.

You're proving my point perfectly. You want "marriage". Why can't you be content with a civil union? And if you say it doesn't cover all that a marriage does, THEN CHANGE IT.

But your stubborn, extremist, not good enough mentality regarding the word marriage is what is keeping you from your goal.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
" how do republicans get away with being openly bigoted towards gay people?"
Not hard to do, because, generally, America is an intolerant, bigoted (and conformist) society.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You're proving my point perfectly. You want "marriage". Why can't you be content with a civil union? And if you say it doesn't cover all that a marriage does, THEN CHANGE IT.

But your stubborn, extremist, not good enough mentality regarding the word marriage is what is keeping you from your goal.
The gay marriage debate has a lot less to do with laws and a lot more to do with the mental disorder of homosexuality than anyone really wants to admit. People dealing with the mental disorder are usually very unstable and they desperately want to feel "normal". Normal of course is anything other than homosexuality so they want to do whatever they can to make homosexuality normal in the eyes of as many as they can. That eliminates the issue of feeling abnormal without actually dealing with the mental disorder.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You want civil marriages because they come along with a lot of legal guarantees and protections, and that is what you are after, right?

Write down on a piece of paper, all the legal rights you want with your partner. You probably want legal protections for sharing property, insurance, financial and other more benign protections like not having to testify against each other in a court of law, and hospital visitation rights, etc...

Why do you need to be "married" by some third party at all, as long as you obtain the legal protections and such? The marriage vows and ceremony are just some old traditions taken from religions.
OK, then why do STRAIGHT people need to be married at all? and you can't 'right down' the legal rights of marriage on a piece of paper and get them all. it doesn't work that way.

you act as though our relationships aren't as sacred or valid as yours. Sorry, but the the government gives the benefit of marriage to straights is has to do it for gays, the 14th amendment offers equal protection under the law. the government can't give a benefit to just SOME people, it has to be offered to all.

many of us want to have a STABLE NORMAL life and lifestyle. That's the main overall reason ANYBODY gets married. I don't get why ANYBODY would even DREAM of denying us that? where do people get off trying to interfere in my personal life? my parents got married in a courthouse? are they just in it for the money?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The gay marriage debate has a lot less to do with laws and a lot more to do with the mental disorder of homosexuality than anyone really wants to admit. People dealing with the mental disorder are usually very unstable and they desperately want to feel "normal". Normal of course is anything other than homosexuality so they want to do whatever they can to make homosexuality normal in the eyes of as many as they can. That eliminates the issue of feeling abnormal without actually dealing with the mental disorder.
Um, homosexuality isn't a mental disorder and we are NORMAL. the only thing that ever even made me feel NOT normal was the fact that a majority of people aren't gay. that's it. nothing INTRINSICALLY about being gay EVER made me fell abnormal.

also you need to take psychology 101 because you don't even know what constitutes a mental disorder and WHY.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
OK, then why do STRAIGHT people need to be married at all? and you can't 'right down' the legal rights of marriage on a piece of paper and get them all. it doesn't work that way.

you act as though our relationships aren't as sacred or valid as yours. Sorry, but the the government gives the benefit of marriage to straights is has to do it for gays, the 14th amendment offers equal protection under the law. the government can't give a benefit to just SOME people, it has to be offered to all.

many of us want to have a STABLE NORMAL life and lifestyle. That's the main overall reason ANYBODY gets married. I don't get why ANYBODY would even DREAM of denying us that? where do people get off trying to interfere in my personal life? my parents got married in a courthouse? are they just in it for the money?
Many people dealing with mental disorders would love nothing more than to lead a normal life but acknowledging that you have a problem is the first step to dealing with it.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

w

what do you think we are doing? who EVER said they were FORCING CHURCH marriages? i've never even heard a SINGLE gay person say that. right now the department of justice is NOT defending DOMA because it's unconstitutional. DOMA is what makes it impossible to have civil marriages for gay people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies