Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,435,238 times

Advertisements

I currently smoke pot and have used other illegal drugs in the past. No doubt will in the future too. I believe those with lower IQs are more open to, and unquestionably accepting of drug war propaganda..so the study makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Marijuana is useful.
Only good post in the thread.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,898 times
Quote:
People with higher IQs are more interested in intellectual stimulation than those with lower IQs.
Those with lower IQs are easily convinced by the fear factor that certain drugs are illegal because they are damaging.

Great! You have convinced me to go out and use Meth and Crack

After all, the fear factor has me and most others believing it is dangerous when much brighter individuals like yourself have inside info proving otherwise

Back to reality... stupid thread ...thought it would be funny to mock it though

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,898 times
Quote:
People with higher IQs are more interested in intellectual stimulation than those with lower IQs.
Those with lower IQs are easily convinced by the fear factor that certain drugs are illegal because they are damaging.
People with TRULY high IQ's or those wishing to become smarter read books. Using drugs does not make one smarter or more openminded... it usually makes them an idiot, although I still believe that all drugs should be legalized.

Trying to convince people that the path to intellectualism requires drug use is intellectually dishonest

Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Trying to convince people that the path to intellectualism requires drug use is intellectually dishonest
As is the strawman argument you present here
Quote:
Great! You have convinced me to go out and use Meth and Crack

After all, the fear factor has me and most others believing it is dangerous when much brighter individuals like yourself have inside info proving otherwise
I don't believe anyone is this thread is saying that meth and crack are not dangerous

Quote:
People with TRULY high IQ's or those wishing to become smarter read books. Using drugs does not make one smarter or more openminded... it usually makes them an idiot,
Actually, this is a strawman as well. No one has claimed that using drugs makes one smarter.

Quote:
although I still believe that all drugs should be legalized.
I mostly agree with you here. Drugs-yes. Pharmacuticals-no.

Last edited by filihok; 11-16-2011 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,484,248 times
Quote:
Those with higher IQs are more likely to experiment with illegal drugs, according to this study over 3 decades.
People with higher IQs are more open and curious.

Study Links High Childhood IQ To Illegal Drug Use

OK, I've studied my dog for probably eight years now. I know that he doesn't do drugs. I do know that he's smarter than my sister in-law.

But, over time, I've noticed that he licks his balls on average, four or five times a week. I will remind you, he's a smart dog, although I don't know what his IQ is. He can retrieve a frisbee, he can get my newspaper and he can sit up.

Now, I bet that a STUPID dog could do the same thing.

If a STUPID person does drugs, does that make him smarter?
Many stupid people do drugs. I surmise, from your post, that it's different when smart people do drugs.

I don't debate this dumb study. I do have a problem with your assumption that smart people do drugs because they are smart and curious, but it's likely that other people who aren't as intelligent, do drugs because they are uncontrolled dregs, or something. And then people with high IQ's can stop. Many of them have destroyed their lives because of addiction.

And this thing about women from Memphis1979.

Quote:
"Studies have also been done, that show that women who attend college are more open to alternative sexual activity then women that don't go to college. This again, is attributed to open minded thinking one receives from higher education and mental capacity."
Now, if college girls have a better chance, through open mindedness and a greater mental capacity, of getting herpes or worse, while opening their minds and legs to alternative sexual activity, my question is, where is the study that proves that some home town girls are way smarter than college girls?

I know that the OP did not come right out and say that if you are smart that drugs can't come back and bite you in the butt. All he said was that smart people are more likely to experiment with drugs.

But, not all smart people are smart enough to stay clean.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 PM

345 posts, read 643,409 times
To all those talking about Meth, Crack, Heroin...yes, those are terrible drugs, and the general idea is that intelligent people will RESEARCH the effects of any drugs they might intend on doing. And even a little bit of research will lead you to the conclusion that the previously mentioned drugs have life-ruining effects.

However, drugs like LSD, Psilocybin Mushrooms, and Marijuana have few or no negative side effects. I have a firm belief that anyone who decries the above mentioned drugs has not tried them, either out of fear of the law or general ignorance concerning "drugs."

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
OK, I've studied my dog for probably eight years now. I know that he doesn't do drugs. I do know that he's smarter than my sister in-law.

But, over time, I've noticed that he licks his balls on average, four or five times a week. I will remind you, he's a smart dog, although I don't know what his IQ is. He can retrieve a frisbee, he can get my newspaper and he can sit up.

Now, I bet that a STUPID dog could do the same thing.

If a STUPID person does drugs, does that make him smarter?
Many stupid people do drugs. I surmise, from your post, that it's different when smart people do drugs.
I don't know, nor care, how many times per week you lick your balls, or how ball licking is relevant to this topic but, as I mentioned in reply to A&M_Indie, the OP does not make the claim that doing drugs makes anyone smarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperkat
And this thing about women from Memphis1979.
Quote:
"Studies have also been done, that show that women who attend college are more open to alternative sexual activity then women that don't go to college. This again, is attributed to open minded thinking one receives from higher education and mental capacity."

Now, if college girls have a better chance, through open mindedness and a greater mental capacity, of getting herpes or worse, while opening their minds and legs to alternative sexual activity
Again, you addressing something that doesn't exist
What does 'alternative sexual activity' have to do with herpes? You get herpes from having contact with an infected person. Nothing more and nothing less.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
LOL to the thread subject/title! The drugs I experimented with in the seventies have convinced me that I was at my most STUPID, then so it's seriously hard to believe this study. My IQ isn't genius, I don't think the numbers matter and yes, mine is above average, but...psychedelics, speed, mescaline....it was sooo very stupid to put that stuff in my/our bods when most of us had not, and I had not researched the potential side, or longterm effects.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,484,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Drugs like LSD, Psilocybin Mushrooms, and Marijuana have few or no negative side effects. I have a firm belief that anyone who decries the above mentioned drugs has not tried them, either out of fear of the law or general ignorance concerning "drugs."
Flashbacks are not a side effect?

Charles Manson called on his LSD effected followers to murder people in California.

Manson was, and is a madman.

He became God while on acid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies