Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, for 200 years since the Constitution was composed and signed, it was Ok to celebrate religion on Government property. But now in the last few decades it is not Constitutional and the last 3 years it has been crucified?

I'm I missing something that happened?
Crucified? Really?

Because for 200 years - give or take a couple I'm sure - no one challenged that government property was used to promote particular religious statements. And it's not that Christian displays are specifically restricted, it's that if one religion is allowed to promote itself on government property then ALL religions have that right. The privilege of the majority doesn't trump the rights of the minority.

And just be honest. When you say "religion," you mean Christianity.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
So, for 200 years since the Constitution was composed and signed, it was Ok to celebrate religion on Government property. But now in the last few decades it is not Constitutional and the last 3 years it has been crucified?

I'm I missing something that happened?
Yes.

200 years of case law and legislation, changing demographics, and an entirely different world than existed in the 1780's.

You missed a lot.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yes. We are in the last days. Jesus is coming back and he says in the Bible it would all be like this before he returned. The liberal agenda is a very calculated and specific plan that Satan used on the romans. He updated it to make it suit this generation and look how he has used them to destroy this country in almost every way. Very sad. There's really no hope. America's people now mostly hate God. We should be looking to Heaven now in these days. He is coming back to get us and he will take us home.
What makes you think Jesus is going to side with you? It's amusing how some of the most hateful, judgmental people in the world are the first to preach Jesus' return to save them from the evils of this world.

These verses were written exactly for those type of people - self-righteous conservatives.

Matt 7:1“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

And FYI, 80% of Americans follow one of the Abrahamic religions. 75% of which are Christian. So apparently the overwhelming majority of Christians hate God. I guess you're just one of God's special folk.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
So, the very guys that composed and signed the US Constitution, the same guys that held Church services in the Capitol, did not know what they meant when they composed the US Constitution?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
So, the very guys that composed and signed the US Constitution, the same guys that held Church services in the Capitol, did not know what they meant when they composed the US Constitution?
Of course they did for their time period, and none of them followed anything remotely close to the brand of Christianity being pushed in this country today. And all of them opposed religion invading people's lives. They specifically said the United States was not founded on the Christian religion.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
There is a big move to interpret Freedom of Religion, to mean Freedom from Religion.

What was the original intent?

Is this helping or hurting the USA?
The original intent of that was too keep the US from having a "Church" like the "Church of England". It was to keep the government from making laws to say what religion was "right" and what was "wrong".

What's happening of late is stupid though and has little if nothing to do with Separation of Church & State. Having christmas decorations or parties at school do not equal "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". In fact saying that you can't celebrate christmas on school grounds or pray there, etc. is closer to what the constitution is trying to keep from happening!

It's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion!

BTW, I'm Pagan, not Christian!
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
The original intent of that was too keep the US from having a "Church" like the "Church of England". It was to keep the government from making laws to say what religion was "right" and what was "wrong".

What's happening of late is stupid though and has little if nothing to do with Separation of Church & State. Having christmas decorations or parties at school do not equal "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". In fact saying that you can't celebrate christmas on school grounds or pray there, etc. is closer to what the constitution is trying to keep from happening!

It's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion!

BTW, I'm Pagan, not Christian!
Merry Christmas!
So atheists are afforded no freedoms since they don't follow a religion? And FYI, the entire Bill of Rights was incorporated into the States with the passing of the 14th Amendment. And I assure you, you should be dang glad that happened.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Of course they did, as much as they could imagine what the future would bring.

They could never have conceived of the world we live in. It's a lot more different from 1785 than 1785 was of 1585.

Laws have to be interpreted and necessarily have to be complex as a result. Show me a simple, straightforward law immune to all but one interpretation, and you will show me a law that will inevitably result in absurdity and injustice. No written law can account for every circumstance. Hence judges.

So our founders, in their considerable wisdom, wrote a black letter Constitution but also established and empowered an independent judiciary, and adopted an English common law legal system. Well, everyone except Louisiana did anyway. We aren't changing their intent, or at least not in any way they would care about. We are trying to make sense of an intent expressed in the 18th century as applied to 21st century facts.

So interpretations do change, because they have to. The alternative is unthinkably stupid.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Crucified? Really?

Because for 200 years - give or take a couple I'm sure - no one challenged that government property was used to promote particular religious statements. And it's not that Christian displays are specifically restricted, it's that if one religion is allowed to promote itself on government property then ALL religions have that right. The privilege of the majority doesn't trump the rights of the minority.

And just be honest. When you say "religion," you mean Christianity.
Exactly, all of the noise about the "War on Christmas" or "freedom from religion" is the sound of Christians coming to terms with the fact that the decades long practice of turning a blind eye and allowing Christianity to enjoy an unconstitutional defacto state religion status is coming to an end. Each display of overt Christianity that is removed from government property is getting us closer to the true intent the founders had in mind with the 1st Amendment.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
So atheists are afforded no freedoms since they don't follow a religion? And FYI, the entire Bill of Rights was incorporated into the States with the passing of the 14th Amendment. And I assure you, you should be dang glad that happened.
What difference does it make if you follow no religion? No one is FORCING you to follow a religion! Who does that make any sense at all to what I was saying?

and how exactly does the 14th amendment have ANYTHING to do with this conversation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies