Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
Religion is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on mankind. It is about money and control, nothing else.

The day the last kooky religious believer dies of old age, the entire planet will be much better off.

Ever notice religious people share quite a few of the same traits that diagnosed schizophrenics do?
No. But, I do notice many insult anyone who doesn't believe as they do.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I very much want my personal life and my political life FREE from RELIGION in any way shape of form. I am willing to act within secular law but am not restrained by any religious law.

Most RELIGION seems to use the threat of Hell to force compliance to their rules. It is not legitimate to coerce people that do not believe in any particular faith to follow their rules. In addition Freedom from Religion precludes the religion from using the state to enforce these rules.

Conversely the state does have a right to coerce a population to obey the rules attained by the free exercise of political action by the citizens of the state. The state does not have the right to use Religion to sanctify these rules.

In no way shape of form may a politically appointed President use the government to outlaw abortion because he is a Catholic or install Sharia Law because he is a Muslim.

Freedom begins with controlling your own body and soul.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Actually, there is. The Treaty of Tripoli contains this statement: "As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, — as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, — and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

This document was created in 1796 and 1797, during the administrations of President Washington and Adams. It was ratified unanimously by the US Senate.
Duh, the US Constitution declares we shall not establish any religion, and founding a nation as a Christian nation would be doing exactly that.

You have to understand the mindset of of Muslims in the 1700s, just look at them today, imagine how backward they were back then. Islam IS a form of government, the US is not founded on a religion, as the Islamic nations do. This does not mean the founders were not heavily influenced by religious freedoms, values, morals and principles of Christianity.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
They should not erect religious symbols on public property in the first place, because it is public property.
How do you explain the many religious symbols in our gov't buildings that were built in the time of our founders?

I believe the people who wrote or supported the first documents of our country knew what those documents meant and had no problem with displaying religious symbols.

The also held Sunday Services IN the Capitol building for about 7 years with Adams, Jefferson and many other politicians attending.

How do you explain this?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I very much want my personal life and my political life FREE from RELIGION in any way shape of form. I am willing to act within secular law but am not restrained by any religious law.

Most RELIGION seems to use the threat of Hell to force compliance to their rules. It is not legitimate to coerce people that do not believe in any particular faith to follow their rules. In addition Freedom from Religion precludes the religion from using the state to enforce these rules.

Conversely the state does have a right to coerce a population to obey the rules attained by the free exercise of political action by the citizens of the state. The state does not have the right to use Religion to sanctify these rules.

In no way shape of form may a politically appointed President use the government to outlaw abortion because he is a Catholic or install Sharia Law because he is a Muslim.

You have no fear then, as long as we uphold the US Constitution, and prevent politicians from trying to tear it down as fundamentally flawed, yadda, yadda...

Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Well watching the Repub. trip over each other trying to prove who is more christen. isn't the freedom of religion seem to be more or less important then the freedom from religion?
You act as if dems have done what you describe.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How do you explain the many religious symbols in our gov't buildings that were built in the time of our founders?
"Ceremonial deism" is a court recognized exception to the Establishment clause.

Quote:
I believe the people who wrote or supported the first documents of our country knew what those documents meant and had no problem with displaying religious symbols.
They also lived in the 1700's in what was more or less a homogenous society as compared to now. Long story short, thanks to demographics and the lack of legal mechanisms for minorities to challenge the government, no one seriously challenged the government on civil rights until the 20th century.

Quote:
The also held Sunday Services IN the Capitol building for about 7 years with Adams, Jefferson and many other politicians attending.

How do you explain this?
See above.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I believe every one is free to believe as they want.

I do disagree with your statement, "Most RELIGION seems to use the threat of Hell to force compliance to their rules."

NO ONE is forced to do or believe anything.

People are free to belong or NOT belong as they see fit. If you (collectively) don't like anything you are free to find another, or none at all.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I believe every one is free to believe as they want.

I do disagree with your statement, "Most RELIGION seems to use the threat of Hell to force compliance to their rules."

NO ONE is forced to do or believe anything.

People are free to belong or NOT belong as they see fit. If you (collectively) don't like anything you are free to find another, or none at all.
Most religious beliefs are based on the threat of some punishment or promise of a reward from some invisible sky daddy. Are you actually trying to say that Christians don't believe that all non-Christians will be punished for all eternity in the afterlife? I find it very odd that you don't think that the threat of torture is not force or coercion.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Removing the ten commands from the court house was not the removal of religion from this state institution - It was the removal of law from a place that was to uphold and dispense the law...Religion and state have always been intertwined... What has to be kept seperate is the idea that some use religion and twist it for political gain..This happens in the middle east and it happens in America. No person should speak as if they are the spokes person for GOD....god does not need a mouth piece...I guess that is the reason that the constitution keeps these creeps at bay..to make sure that a person does not start playing God...for the simple reason is that human beings always screw things up when they play God - they are just not very good at it! So they should be excluded form the political arena - and rightfully so - God does not need a voice nor does he have one...and almost no human being can speak from the mind of God - unless he is family - Like that Jesus guy...but the state punished him for being a big mouth...One way or the other...keep your devine thoughts to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies