Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times

Advertisements

Placing a cap on the amount of coverage is not really the issue. The real issue is the COST of healthcare in this country. When you look at inflation in this country, you will note that in almost every sector, inflation is at a relatively low level. The notable exception is within the healthcare industry. The inflation rate in healthcare is astronomical and has been for at least 20 years. Until they get the rampant inflation in this industry under control, it will only get worse, much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Since she is Canadian why did not "universal" coverage pay the bill.
I don't know, but my guess is because it did not occur in Canada. I mean, you don't really expect Canada to pay a bill incurred in a U.S. hospital on U.S. soil, do you?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
not sure i see what the point is. if you visit any other country then you take out travel insurance. if you participate in risky sports, then you take out appropriate insurance.

i dont necessarily agree with the american system, but everyone knows how expensive healthcare is in the US, and to come here without the appropriate level of insurance to cover medical expenses, particularly if you engage in risky activities, is frankly insanity.

Excellent Post! Tragic as it was, she CHOSE to be a down hill competitive skier as well. No one forced her into it

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default Iconic skier's death points out U.S. health gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are living here, and not paying for health care (i.e. insurance), then do you expect the rest of the population that IS paying for it to subsidize you?
Let's give everyone free health care. Let's give everyone whatever they want because they deserve it.
I want a new Aston Martin... I think that some of the taxes you pay should help subsidize it.
I'm hoping that most of us that read this thread agree with you, I sure do. If people want health insurance they should buy it, just like if they want a car, they should buy one. Health insurance is not a God given right, it's just like anything else you might want in this life, you have to get it yourself. Unless of course one on are one the millions who are on welfare because you think someone owes you something, and you're too damn lazy to work.

The people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I'm hoping that most of us that read this thread agree with you, I sure do. If people want health insurance they should buy it, just like if they want a car, they should buy one. Health insurance is not a God given right, it's just like anything else you might want in this life, you have to get it yourself. Unless of course one on are one the millions who are on welfare because you think someone owes you something, and you're too damn lazy to work.

The people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
Yeah, because in America, it is much more important that the poor stay poor than it is to lift up all Americans:

Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And her fans raised the money. Someone else pointed out that she probably has a sizeable estate, as well.

As you can see, the $300K was more than enough to cover the bill. The bill was not $500K. Secondly, a short stay is misleading. She received intensive care. Do they not charge the patient if s/he dies in other countries?
The bill (according to my source) was more than 500K. It was 550K of which 300K was raised by fans. Personally, I don't think my fans could raise more than a few thousand dollars to pay for my hospitalization, but that's me.

H

Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default Iconic skier's death points out U.S. health gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
That really is the bottom line, isn't it? When medical care in this country became 100% for profit, the costs skyrocketed and millions became uninsurable. What price do you place on a human life?
The costs didn't skyrocket because medical care became profitable (which it never has). It skyrocketed because of all the people who go to a hospital and don't pay for their care. This includes millions of illegals who have no intention of paying for anything they receive while in the U.S. When you go to the hospital, part of your charges is for 'indigent care', the hospital is collecting from your insurance company to pay for those who don't pay.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
The costs didn't skyrocket because medical care became profitable (which it never has). It skyrocketed because of all the people who go to a hospital and don't pay for their care. This includes millions of illegals who have no intention of paying for anything they receive while in the U.S. When you go to the hospital, part of your charges is for 'indigent care', the hospital is collecting from your insurance company to pay for those who don't pay.
Right, it's the 12 million illegal immigrants (many of whom actually work for a living) who are at fault, not the 47 million Americans who don't have insurance because they can't afford it. What was I thinking???

Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Other countries (i.e., those that are not the U.S.) have universal coverage.
For their own citizens. If you, as a US citizen, needs health care in Canada, you will pay out of pocket (per friend's experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Since she is Canadian why did not "universal" coverage pay the bill.
Good question.

I'm as much in favor of UHC as the next person. I'm just saying, this isn't a good example of the failure of the US system.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
I don't know, but my guess is because it did not occur in Canada. I mean, you don't really expect Canada to pay a bill incurred in a U.S. hospital on U.S. soil, do you?
My health insurance covers me when I travel out of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies