Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
ASSAULT WEAPONS, are not all guns.

As a retired cop, I wouldn't mind if assault weapons disappeared altogether.

I can eliminate you just as easy with a Ruger 10-22, as I can with a tactical rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I really like the wording of AWB 94, when none of the firearms listed were assault weapons. not one at all.

all true assault weapons are already covered under NFA34 and AWB could not cover them at all.
We have a permanent AWB in Massachusetts that exactly mirrors the Federal law. I still legally own an AR-15. How can that be??!!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Please define assault weapon. Is it a military looking rifle capable of semi automatic fire?
What if you took that hard ware and installed it into a plain wooden stock?
I target shoot a lot. I used to compete as a matter of fact. What amazed me was how poorly so many cops shoot. High fiving each other for a five inch group at ten meters. If I shot a five inch group at 25 meters I would put my weapon away and take up needle point.
I would watch them handle their weapons and cringe. Looking for their safety!!!!!!
Cops are well known to be the worst marksmen and have the least knowledge regarding firearms.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I can eliminate you just as easy with a Ruger 10-22, as I can with a tactical rifle.

A Ruger 10/22 can be an assault weapon if configured in certain ways....

Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
link? I'm not disputing you, but would like to find out more.

I would argue that the heart of the technology lies in the cartridge, not the gun. The gun is just a dispenser. So 'assault weapon' bans are akin to banning sales of canned beer to minors, but not bottled beer. Not quite, but headed in that direction.

Jeff Cooper, the 'gunners guru' used to argue that the lever & bolt actions gave up very little to semi-autos. The skill level of the user makes far more difference than the action type.

Hence if an 'assault weapon' ban is constitutional, why wouldn't a lever or bolt ban also be unconstitutional? Then we end up with a 2nd Amendment that is meaningless.
The relevant portion of the DC v Heller decision is as follows:

Quote:
. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

A lever action ban would also be unconstitutional. Any arm in common use is protected. Lever guns are quite common, just as the semi-automatic weapons are. I hunt with a lever gun myself.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I could take Holder out of the genepool with a single shot 22LR. Banning a clipped semi-auto is not going to do squat.

Guns don't kill. People do.

very true, a person could take 100 pistols, rifles and shotguns, load all of them and stack them in a room with 1000 people in the room. until a person makes a concious decision to pick one up and pull the trigger, none of those firearms will shoot 1 bullet.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Exactly, and that's where the true ignorance lies in this debate.... The true morons point to the 2nd Amendment and decry that their freedoms are being infringed upon..

Well news-flash. You aren't sitting there whining that you cannot own an ICBM, so obviously you understand that there's a limit to what arms one can own.

The question is simply a matter of where the line is on what arms one can own. I don't mind arguing that point at all, but don't hide behind the 2nd Amendment here. It's a very misleading and disingenuous argument.

please read the federalist papers. the 2nd is there to let the people be armed with the same sort of weapons as the ordinary soldier is, not crew served weapons.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 02-09-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
We have a permanent AWB in Massachusetts that exactly mirrors the Federal law. I still legally own an AR-15. How can that be??!!
You just have a limited magazine capacity, no bayonet lug and no flash hider. You can have Wilson Combat install a PERMANENT "muzzle break" ONLY that looks like a standard A2 no bottom slot flash hider though. It restores the look and still gives you faster follow up shots without eliminating signature flash. They look cheesy without at least something on the barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Cops are well known to be the worst marksmen and have the least knowledge regarding firearms.
Not all of them.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Nope, I've just seen first hand what an assault weapon can do to a human body. I actually love the 2nd amendment.

Wrong again.

You know what happens when you ASSume.
A 45-70 fired from an antique trapdoor Springfield rifle is going to do more damage to a human body than the tiny .223 or 7.62x39 rounds that are popular in these so-called "assault" weapons.

Why am I not surprised a cop wants the citizens disarmed?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I support an assault weapon ban because there is no legitimate reason that hunters or target shooters require such a weapon and can cause massive deaths.

I am neither a hunter nor a target shooter, and I own more than 20 so called assault rifles, otherwise known as a military lookalike firearm.

I keep them to keep proficent and to keep the USA from becoming a tyranny.

included in my firearms are 2 .50 caliber rifles, 4 MBR's in 7.62x51, 22 carbines in 5.56x45, 3 semi auto shotguns and quite a bit of pistols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies