Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
As a life-long hunter and a US army vet, I don't feel compelled to brag about my weapons knowledge in an attempt to impress similarly weak-minded braggarts...

So yeah, insecure people whose entire exposure to weapons likely equals a subscription to The American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo use the internet to spin fantastic tales. Not surprising, really.

Really? I think I missed the tales in this thread. Can you quote the posts in question?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Read the entire thing and see nothing regarding what we are discussing (with regard to any restriction to the people only being able to arm themselves up to the point of a common footsoldier).

I'll hold out the possibility that you are translating some portion of it that way, but you'll have to pull the quote you're referring to, because I either don't see it, or am not interpreting it in the same way...

Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Assault WEAPON: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms

LMAO- STILL wrong....try again

Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM

779 posts, read 537,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
wow, it looks like gunkid made a comeback.
Oh... I'm SO sorry for not making insinuations about how I could take out posters on this thread with my .22, or listing calibers and the number of rounds of ammo in my mom's basement! I'll do better at sounding like a mercenary next time, I swear! It's just hard for internet tough guys like me to make my point without propping myself up as some sort of John Wayne figure!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Really? I think I missed the tales in this thread. Can you quote the posts in question?

Thanks
Selective reading seems to be contagious!

*head pat*

Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
OK, a question, some person has just pulled a gun on you, are you honestly telling me you don't feel stress? If you don't, I'd like some of the drugs you're taking.

I'm not, nor was I, talking about TRAINING, shooting at a gun range is light years away from actually having to pull your gun on an armed perp.

I don't think I mentioned anything about debilitating adrenaline.

I don't think that anyone is arguing the point of shooting under stress. What has been said is most cops suck at the range where we see them shoot. Would it not stand to reason that if they suck at the range that they would royally suck in a real life situation where it's much more difficult than shooting at the range? I personally have never seen a cop shooting under stress and I'm thankful for that.....

Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Hmm, my girlfriend, her brother, her step-dad and I get to the range frequently. I am just suspect of people who make wild claims online, regardless whether said claims are about weapons or comic books or what-have-you.

I like talking guns too but what some people on this thread are engaging in is simply posturing.
Oh, I just laugh to myself about the .22s being sniper rifles and other such talk. SWAT could kick all their asses. lol Who cares, you know? lol You as another VET should laugh and just read on too. You know what works and what doesn't. You also know a arm chair commando when you see or read about one too. No big deal. I've been on vaction for the last few days reloading and surfing the site. I'm planning to take my Wilson Combat CQB custom 1911 .45 ACP to the range later tonight. Oorah!!! Semper Fi

Quote:
That's all good to know but the topic we're discussing is an assault weapons ban. The ban would put a law into effect that bans certain guns based on what the law states. The correct definition from Guns & Ammo doesn't matter or what some people think also doesn't matter. It's all about what the law states you can or can't do.
Yes, I'm aware of that. It's already been done/tried before. AWB '94-'04. It FAILED miserably. Only a few States kept it. That should say something. It sould also be noted that nearly all the folks who voted that way in '94 were REMOVED from their position. They all KNEW why too. That stands as a lasting memory to most of them now.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Entire quote: Are you suggesting that in square range training scenarios that leos are more likely to experience a debilitating adrenaline dump than non-leos training along side them?

my response: OK, a question, some person has just pulled a gun on you, are you honestly telling me you don't feel stress? If you don't, I'd like some of the drugs you're taking.

I'm not, nor was I, talking about TRAINING, shooting at a gun range is light years away from actually having to pull your gun on an armed perp.

I don't think I mentioned anything about debilitating adrenaline.

What about that is out of context?

Nothing.
Reading is fundamental. I stated my previous post. Look it up, I'm tired of hand feeding you just because you are retired.

Quote:
No, i meant exactly what I said, Rick. The term is used broadly.

January 7, 2010—Disgruntled employee Timothy Hendron, 51, enters ABB Inc. in St. Louis, Missouri and opens fire on his co-workers. Armed with two handguns, a shotgun, and a semiautomatic AK-47 rifle with high-capacity ammunition magazines, Hendron fires approximately 115 rounds, killing three and wounding five before taking his own life.

July 13, 2009—A birthday party in Miami shootout involving a semiautomatic AK-47 in which two young people were killed and 10 wounded.

July 16, 2010—the shooting of Philadelphia police officer Kevin Livewell by gunmen wielding two semiautomatic assault rifles (an AK-47 and SKS) with 30-round magazines.

There is no practical reason why anyone needs to own a weapon of war.
You realize of course that under your criteria shotguns, flintlocks, Sharps rifles, Navy single action revolvers, the Kentucky long rifle, etc..... (insert name of nearly any C&R classified gun) would be banned as well as they have been used as "weapons of war".

Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Nah, the "secure" ones LOVE to talk about it. It takes some OVER 30 years to gain all this knowledge.
Not in my experience.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
LMAO- STILL wrong....try again
I'm curious though. After you're done with this little game, will you proceed to answer the initial question posed to you regarding why you need one (An assault weapon, regardless of what it is or isn't) to go hunting or targeting?

Or is this just a big shell game to take everyone's eyes off the fact that you really never answered that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies