Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
As a life-long hunter and a US army vet, I don't feel compelled to brag about my weapons knowledge in an attempt to impress similarly weak-minded braggarts...

So yeah, insecure people whose entire exposure to weapons likely equals a subscription to The American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo use the internet to spin fantastic tales. Not surprising, really.

like you said, if you are actually a lifelong hunter or even a US army vet. seems the internet can spawn all sorts on the board. just using your own words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,230 times
Quote:
As a life-long hunter and a US army vet, I don't feel compelled to brag about my weapons knowledge in an attempt to impress similarly weak-minded braggarts...

So yeah, insecure people whose entire exposure to weapons likely equals a subscription to The American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo use the internet to spin fantastic tales. Not surprising, really.
We're just talking guns here. No need to get all BENT about it. I didn't feel the need to expose I'm a former Marine in this conversation to look all high and mighty. We're just talking guns. People who actually LIKE them. Nuff said

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM

779 posts, read 537,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So now it's "bragging" when we correct lies being spouted by people who want to strip the people of civil rights?
Oh come on, some of the people on this thread are going so far out of their way to sound all bad-azz it's not even funny.

We can debate this issue without all the posturing, not that you yourself are guilty of any. That said, if you deny that certain people are using this thread as an opportunity to posture, you have a selective reading comprehension issue.

I'm actually pro-gun rights. But that doesn't man that the Federalist papers are law and it doesn't mean that I need to brag myself up on the internet to assuage my flagging self-esteem.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
none of the weapons used are assault rifles. please let us know when you understand that.

Assault WEAPON: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms

Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Th SCOTUS frequently cites opinion in it's decisions. It doesn't make the Federalist papers LAW.

Does the truth hurt SO much?
I must have missed where it was said they are law. It's well known they are highly influential and give a reasonable idea of what was intended by the writers of the Constitution.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
like you said, if you are actually a lifelong hunter or even a US army vet. seems the internet can spawn all sorts on the board. just using your own words.
The difference being, I am not using my prior experience to sound like Rambo online. I'm not bragging about what weapons I own, or that I am supposedly sitting on a massive cache of ammo, or claiming that I can kill people with my .22.

See the difference?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you suggesting that in square range training scenarios that leos are more likely to experience a debilitating adrenaline dump than non-leos training along side them?

OK, a question, some person has just pulled a gun on you, are you honestly telling me you don't feel stress? If you don't, I'd like some of the drugs you're taking.

I'm not, nor was I, talking about TRAINING, shooting at a gun range is light years away from actually having to pull your gun on an armed perp.

I don't think I mentioned anything about debilitating adrenaline.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Assault WEAPON: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms
As defined by what someone who knows nothing about guns thinks looks scary. Like those shoulder things that go up.
Carolyn McCarthy - YouTube

Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I must have missed where it was said they are law. It's well known they are highly influential and give a reasonable idea of what was intended by the writers of the Constitution.
Selective reading again? People on this thread have cited the essays to bolster their beliefs, as if the essays themselves were some sort of jurisprudence. I'm sorry, I'll defer to the SCOTUS. Do I disagree with what is said about weapons in the essays? Mostly not. Do I cite them as if they were the Constitution? No.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,230 times
Quote:
The difference being, I am not using my prior experience to sound like Rambo online. I'm not bragging about what weapons I own, or that I am supposedly sitting on a massive cache of ammo, or claiming that I can kill people with my .22.

See the difference?
Boys and their toys. I don't find anything wrong with anything said. You should get out more and hang out at the gun shop. I think this thread is pretty cool myself! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies