Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
What on earth do you mean?

You're in a police state ... up to your ears ... or should I say down to your boxer shorts.

Got to spread the rep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
to be considered an assault rifle:
  • It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
  • It must be capable of selective fire;
  • It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
  • Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
  • And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (984 feet)
Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the point i was trying to make Rick, is that none of the firearms listed in AWB94 were actually assault weapons.

This is getting tiresome. The topic is the assault weapons ban. The ban stipulates what you can or can not have under the law. The definition of an assault weapon under the assault weapons ban law is what I've been posting all through this thread. Selective fire is not mentioned in the law. Anyone can post anything they want on wikipedia. What you have posted is not what defines an assault weapon under the assault weapons ban law.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
This is where it gets fuzzy, and I can't remember exactly where it's at. National Firearms Act laws are separate from the AWB.

IIRC the current federal law is that a rifle cannot have a barrel length of less than 16 inches. A 14.5" barrel is allowable as long as it has a permanently attached muzzle device that makes it 16" (brake/compensator, etc.)

I'm not arguing against gun ownership, in fact, I am all for it. I own firearms just because I CAN, because the prevailing and current interpretation of that part of the Constitution gives me the RIGHT to have them.

Currently own- .45ACP pistol for CCW when my license arrives in the mail
9mm Beretta 92FS for when I don't feel like spending an
arm and a leg to shoot, and
5.56/.223 AR15-pattern rifle which I am beginning the
process of getting a suppressor for (for giggles, and
because I have the money to)

I'm certainly not arguing against gun ownership. The topic is Obama and the AWB. There is nothing in the AWB law regarding barrell length. If there is in the NFA that's an entirely different matter.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,153 times
Not impeachment, just imprisonment in a Mexican jail where let murdered all those people also.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I doubt that we'll ever have a police state, I doubt that another AWB will be passed anytime soon, and a seizure would never work. Too many people in favor of gun ownership, too many gun owners with firearms that would qualify as banned, and it's an election year. It would have to be passed in one of those odd years where there are no elections at a national level.
Bless your heart. You still think Obama would use legislation to ban guns, ammunition, magazines, etc... instead of regulation or Executive Order?

I yearn for the days I had that much faith in government as to respect the rule of law.

Flashback: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...oing-unwatched

Quote:
During the [March 30] meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, “to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda,” she said.

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Bless your heart. You still think Obama would use legislation to ban guns instead of regulation or Executive Order? I yearn for the days I had that much faith in government as to respect the rule of law.
Yeah, well losing all your Government goodies tends to motivate you not to vote for it. No more lobster by the moonlight on the tax payers. No more voting for you. The NRA exposes those who vote for it and makes it public knowledge. That's whether it passes or not. Too bad for you, you voted once for something. Your name is tarnished forever now. They all know how the '94 AWB crew turned out. It didn't end well for any of them.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,153 times
Send them all to gitmo.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM

281 posts, read 256,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Your thread title is a bit misleading. Like Chris Christie, this administration believes that assault weapons should be banned. Please explain how does this require impeachment?
He can believe anything he wants, but tell me, what part of "shall not be infringed" is not fully comprehended, IYHO, by the freedom-thieves who want to steal our rights?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A 45-70 fired from an antique trapdoor Springfield rifle is going to do more damage to a human body than the tiny .223 or 7.62x39 rounds that are popular in these so-called "assault" weapons.

Why am I not surprised a cop wants the citizens disarmed?
True. That .45-70 is a MASSIVE round. I took down a 435 lb boar with one shot with a .45-70 that my boys hit EIGHT TIMES with .308 rounds.

If one was planning on committing chaos, the best device would be a Benelli M4 shotgun with a .50cal ball and double 00 buck rounds. A semi-auto weapon would be an inferior device, unless the targets were 50 yds out or greater. The Saiga shotgun with the ability to place a 24 round 12g shell drum would be an equally, if not greater, threat.

Why do the feds want to limit "assault weapons"? Simply to disarm citizens which are becoming less and less pleased by their lack of concern for the populace. Keep America well armed. There may come a time when even liberals appreciate a well armed citizenry.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
History has shown us legislation won't change that, it will only affect those willing to abide by the law. Or, perhaps you are willing to roll up in the fetal position as tyranny takes over this country and not say a word as Constitutional right after right is usurped and trampled by this administration (and ones prior)?

Under the Obama administration alone:

Patriot Act made permanent (goodbye 4th Amendment)
NDAA (goodbye 5th & 6th Amendments)
1st Amendment currently under attack
Operation Fast & Furious revealed plans to undermine 2nd Amendment/confirmed by interagency e-mails uncovered by CBS.
very sad.

we all know that the government is trying to figure out a way to get the weapons away from the citizens.

even though obama tries to take every side of every issue , the fact is that he supported a 500% federal tax increase on all firearms and ammunition in the illinois senate.

i wouldn't call that looking out for the little people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies