Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times

Advertisements

Here ya go, folks. Have a nice read.

If someone wants to research Fully automatic weapons, have at it. I'm late for my dialysis, and the wife is pissed.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Editor’s Note:
The following provisions of the GCA were repealed when the semiautomatic assault weapon and large capacity ammunition
feeding device bans sunset on September 13, 2004.

18 U.S.C. § 921 (30): The term "semiautomatic
assault weapon" means -
(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as –
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has
an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
and
(v) a grenade launcher;
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of –
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that
has at least 2 of –
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
18 U.S.C. § 921 (31) The term
"large capacity ammunition feeding
device" -
(A) means a magazine, belt, drum,
(B) feed strip, or similar device
(C) manufactured after the date of
(D) enactment of the Violent Crime
(E) Control and Law Enforcement Act of
(F) 1994 that has a capacity of, or that
(G) can be readily restored or converted
(H) to accept, more than 10 rounds of
(I) ammunition; but
(J) (B) does not include an attached
(K) tubular device designed to accept,
(L) and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Not by the person the question was posed to, but now he has answered it...

Now, you gonna pull a quote out of the Federalist Papers you cited that you believe states that the general population is only allowed to be armed up to the point of the common soldier, but not with any weapons that need to be manned by multiple men as you claimed earlier?

'Cause I scanned what you cited up and down and do not see a reference to that.
ok you are correct and i was wrong. I could not find it either.

the other point on the federalist I want to make is, is that the militia in our founding fathers days was considered the whole people except for a few public officers, and that militia was the army as our founding fathers considered a standing army to be the bane of liberty.

that said, if the militia is the army, you would want them to have the best individual firearms a soildier could have.

this leaves out any future scotus ruling on what a militia is, which they now think that it is the national guard. some states do have their own unorganized militias and they are out of the control of the central goverment, but not the state goverment.

if I do find any further writings on what the federalist papers read concerning what the militia should be armed with, I will pass them on to you.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This is getting tiresome. The topic is the assault weapons ban. The ban stipulates what you can or can not have under the law. The definition of an assault weapon under the assault weapons ban law is what I've been posting all through this thread. Selective fire is not mentioned in the law. Anyone can post anything they want on wikipedia. What you have posted is not what defines an assault weapon under the assault weapons ban law.

rick, what I am saying, is that the firearms that were banned before in AWB94 and still in some states now are not assault weapons. no meatter what they think.

just because a law is written wrong, does not mean that they are correct. if people started doing nullification, then that law just might go away.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Awww, now that hurt.

Like my mom used to say, want in one hand, sh** in the other, see which one gets full fastest.

sorry man, when you need a cop they are never around. plus other things that are questionably unconstitutional that they and fed leo do is not good either.

I believe that the only law enforcement that should be in effect in the 3000+ odd counties in the USA are sheriff's and their deputies.

all other cops and law enforcement should be fired to include the dea, batf, fbi, and tsa. I know there are others leo's i forgot, but they need to be fired as well.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I just had the standard issue.

try reading the news sometime. you will see the millions of fed money that local cops are using to buy military firearms and military equipment.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Here ya go, folks. Have a nice read.

If someone wants to research Fully automatic weapons, have at it. I'm late for my dialysis, and the wife is pissed.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Editor’s Note:
The following provisions of the GCA were repealed when the semiautomatic assault weapon and large capacity ammunition
feeding device bans sunset on September 13, 2004.

assault weapon" means -
(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as –
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has
an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
and
(v) a grenade launcher;
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of –
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that
has at least 2 of –
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
18 U.S.C. § 921 (31) The term
"large capacity ammunition feeding
device" -
(A) means a magazine, belt, drum,
(B) feed strip, or similar device
(C) manufactured after the date of
(D) enactment of the Violent Crime
(E) Control and Law Enforcement Act of
(F) 1994 that has a capacity of, or that
(G) can be readily restored or converted
(H) to accept, more than 10 rounds of
(I) ammunition; but
(J) (B) does not include an attached
(K) tubular device designed to accept,
(L) and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition

just because the fedgov consider the above items to be assault rifles does not mean they actually are.

just because the dollar is actually considered the currency of the USA does not mean that it actually is.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
ok you are correct and i was wrong. I could not find it either.

the other point on the federalist I want to make is, is that the militia in our founding fathers days was considered the whole people except for a few public officers, and that militia was the army as our founding fathers considered a standing army to be the bane of liberty.

that said, if the militia is the army, you would want them to have the best individual firearms a soildier could have.

this leaves out any future scotus ruling on what a militia is, which they now think that it is the national guard. some states do have their own unorganized militias and they are out of the control of the central goverment, but not the state goverment.

if I do find any further writings on what the federalist papers read concerning what the militia should be armed with, I will pass them on to you.
So long as I don't have to dig for it..!! Seriously though that's cool and without trying to sound condescending it's big of you to just say, "Hey, I might be mistaken on that.". Don't find that much on message boards.

Anyway, what you say here gets back to my point that the founding fathers really didn't place any restrictions on what types of arms can or cannot be owned. In centuries since, we have placed those restrictions ourselves using (what I would like to term as) a little common sense....

So again it really is true that we all agree that there should be a line drawn between what the general populace can and cannot have and we are free to debate where that line belongs.

What we cannot do is try to use the verbiage of the 2nd Amendment to claim that banning a particular weapon is a violation of the Amendment. The literal reading of the Amendment has already BEEN violated (long ago)...

Anyhoo, as I've stated, I don't really have an opinion on whether assault weapons should or should not be banned. As with most weaponry, the ones who would legally acquire them aren't really the ones we need to be concerned about in the first place...

Old 02-10-2012, 09:44 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
rick, what I am saying, is that the firearms that were banned before in AWB94 and still in some states now are not assault weapons. no meatter what they think.

just because a law is written wrong, does not mean that they are correct. if people started doing nullification, then that law just might go away.
More States there isn't a AWB than are. People get NFA weapons confused with AWB weapons. You're spot on with your info. It has to be full auto and or have a barrel less than 16" to be a NFA weapon. If not, it's a SEMI AUTOMATIC rifle. People also confuse what is illegal in their State can be something totally legal in the next one over. A NFA weapon is Federal. That's all 50 States. A FEDERAL AWB like the '94 one would apply to all 50 States. It was tried for ten years and didn't work. What more needs to be proven? Ten years of failure. "What we've got here is... FAILURE to communicate...Some men you just can't reach!"

Guns N' Roses - Civil War (Music Video) - YouTube

Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Every time, and when they show themselve to be an ass, I laugh out loud.

LMAO, Rick.

Why don't you enlighten poor me and cite the definition, under Federal Law, of Assault WEAPONS. Or are you content to tee hee and offer nothing.
I call them like I see them. If I see ignorance I point it out. If the ignorant party gets hurt over being called out I can't help that (especially when they come back time and again after being told they're wrong).

Under the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which is still in force in some states, a rifle is defined as an assault weapon if it is semi automatic, accepts a detachable magazine, and has two or more of the following features:

adjustable stock
pistol grip
bayonet lug
flash supresor (or threaded barrel)
grenade launcher

That's just to bring you up to speed because you apparently missed it the three or four other times I posted it. A Ruger 10/22 could be configured as an assault weapon. Should we ban those? So as you can see, what you consider to be an assault weapon is not relevant nor will it ever be....

Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Speaking for myself, I just had the standard issue.
Some cops carried the Beretta 92 FS AKA the M9 which is the current standard U.S. military sidearm. A horrible weapon of war!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies