Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Go back and look at my posts, nothing mentioned about anything looking scary.

Nothing mentioned about the legal definition of an assault weapon either. As a former cop your knowledge is typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Nope, not hardly. Like I said, I wish they'd disappear, because I've seen the damage they can do. Take that however you want. The term has a broad definition, and I've explained what I consider assault weapons.

I don't repeat myself often, usually to my 3-year-old grankid, just before I whack his butt.
LOL Repeating a lie enough times won't make it true. The semi-auto rifles you want banned aren't "assault weapons" and aren't some sort of magical death ray that makes people into hamburgers. Quit reading what the brady campaign and "shoulder thing that goes up" mccarthy says.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Nope, not hardly. Like I said, I wish they'd disappear, because I've seen the damage they can do. Take that however you want. The term has a broad definition, and I've explained what I consider assault weapons.

I don't repeat myself often, usually to my 3-year-old grankid, just before I whack his butt.

When you repeat yourself to your grankid he doesn't know that what you're saying is not correct. That's fortunare for you. What you consider an assault weapon is quite irrelevant. I won't end up in a court of law for posessing what you consider an assault weapon.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Not in my experience.
Guns-guns-guns and MORE guns. You will give your rifle a girls name because this is the only p**** you are going to get. Words to live by and not forgotten easily.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Selective reading seems to be contagious!

*head pat*

Unfortunately so does pervasive douchebaggery......

Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Assault WEAPON: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms

nope, an assault weapon/rifle is only a rifle that is a carbine cartridge rifle capable of firing both semi-automatic and automatic fire.

not one or the other, but both.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
The difference being, I am not using my prior experience to sound like Rambo online. I'm not bragging about what weapons I own, or that I am supposedly sitting on a massive cache of ammo, or claiming that I can kill people with my .22.

See the difference?

the problem is, is that I do own the firearms, I dont claim to be some rambo, but just another american that likes to shoot. I shoot for the fun of it, not because i seek to become another rambo.

ammo? I do like to reload, and do reload alot. trying out new rounds and loads is quite fun to do once you learn them.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Boys and their toys. I don't find anything wrong with anything said. You should get out more and hang out at the gun shop. I think this thread is pretty cool myself! lol

boys and their toys? why not tell that to the millions of female firearms owners in the USA.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,200,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This is an assault weapon and they want to ban it:

{pic}

This is not an assault weapon and would not be subject to the ban:

{pic}

These rifles are functionally identical, have the same capabilities, and fire the same round. Does an assault weapons ban make sense?
Since these pictures do nothing to explain what the difference between the two ACTUALLY IS, and since you seem to assume that people are aware of the differences (since the pictures look virtually identical), ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN:

One of those is a Colt/FN/Bushmaster M4 Carbine. It has a 14.5" barrel (which is not allowed for civilian ownership unless special permits/tax stamps and a lot of time are invested), special "bolt carrier group" (which contains the firing pin), and a trigger pack that allows for fully automatic/ burst fire.

The OTHER firearm is a Colt 6900-series AR15. It more than likely has a 16" barrel (legal minimum barrel length for a rifle), a SEMI-AUTOMATIC-ONLY trigger, and a "bolt carrier group" that DOES NOT ALLOW FOR AUTOMATIC FIRE.

One is used for military/law enforcement ONLY, the other is legal to own by civilians in MOST jurisdictions .

If anyone has any *specific* questions regarding AR15-pattern rifles, feel free to PM me and ask. I'm not going to clutter up this thread with information that's readily available to anyone with a simple Google search.

As an aside, even gun owners occasionally make mistakes in their arguments for gun ownership and related issues.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I'm curious though. After you're done with this little game, will you proceed to answer the initial question posed to you regarding why you need one (An assault weapon, regardless of what it is or isn't) to go hunting or targeting?

Or is this just a big shell game to take everyone's eyes off the fact that you really never answered that?

Why does someone need a 1000cc Ninja racing bike that can go 150 mph when they can have a moped? Fortunately wants vs. needs nor the law are determined by what your feelings are regarding what other people should be allowed to own. Since you don't understand what an assault weapon is it's impossible for you to understand why people do or do not need them. A simple classic .22 caliber rifle that young kids use in Boy Scouts can be an assault weapon under the law with about five minutes work altering it with parts I can buy online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies