Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Not suprising, most cops don't trust "civilians" with firearms and think only they are trained to know best.

Maybe your beef would be better off with the judges, DA's and attornies who let repeat violent offender felons out on the streets without serving full sentences instead of infringing on law abiding citizens.

most cops shoot worse than the law abiding firearm owning public do. I have seen the sheriff and deputies in my county shoot before, they need lessons and instruction to be brought up to par with what the ccw classes are providing these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Nope, I've just seen first hand what an assault weapon can do to a human body. I actually love the 2nd amendment.

Wrong again.

You know what happens when you ASSume.

now are you talking about an assault rifle, or a military lookalike rifle that everyone always mistakes for an actual assault rifle?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
most cops shoot worse than the law abiding firearm owning public do. I have seen the sheriff and deputies in my county shoot before, they need lessons and instruction to be brought up to par with what the ccw classes are providing these days.
Oh I know, been on the range with too many of them. Most muzzle unaware group at large I've ever witnessed in a formal training setting. Sadly that includes some who are themselves certified LE firearms instructors.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
RR - as you well know the difference between a semi-automatic rifle and an assault weapon is the AW is capable of fully automatic fire. The capability is not very apparent because the only outside difference on many AW’s is a position on the mode selector. Most of these weapons are clip fed from a 20 or 30 round capacity magazine.

Any non criminal citizen may own a fully automatic gun by applying for a permit from the ATF. There is an investigation and a special permit fee associated with owning a fully automatic weapon. In fact citizens can own completely automatic heavy machine guns such as M-2 .50 caliber M-2. (Now there is a GUN). Oddly IIRC they cannot own sawed off shotguns. A short bbl shotgun is one of the best pest control devices ever created.

I firmly believe every citizen, unless medically incompetent (insane) or a felon convicted of a violent crime should be able to walk into any gun store and buy any gun they want. I would just as soon the ATF limit their registration to actual military heavy weapons as M-2 machine guns, mortars, cannon, and anti tank and aircraft rockets. Citizens should also be able to carry, open or concealed any gun anywhere they have a legal right to be with the possible exception of Legislatures, churches and bars. Politics, religion and alcohol are reasonable reasons to exclude guns for the safety of all the participants. I do not agree with state “right to carry laws” because IMHO that right is granted with citizenship. I completely disagree with some private companies firing people because they have a gun in their car.

PS: I made the weapons choice when I was was in 'nam in the Riverine forces on the Mekong River. I knew enough about the M-16 not to trust its reliability and the bullet was and is too small. I also knew the 12 ga would work even if a bit slower to chamber the next round. FWIW - GregW knows his weapons.

maybe you should try the newer M4's with a 62 grain or 70 grain bullet. alot better than the 55 grain bullets and can be trusted to kill on the 1st shot. better than a shotgun at range.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Close....but I do have some 30 round mags....and a fixed stock
Get some kind of break on it too if it doesn't have one. Stoner designed it to be on there for reason. Without it, the muzzle climbs under rapid fire. The flash (FIREBALL) out of a barrel isn't pleasant either. I know Wilson Combat and a few others do post ban breaks. You can't remove it though. The threads are useless as it's soldered or pinned. It sure looks better though.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Really? What is an assault weapon? Can you explain? It's been proven more than once that police officers are the last people to ask for information regarding guns.

The term is used broadly. What I mean is a MAC 10, AK 47, AR 15 and the like.

I've seen people turned into hamburger at close range.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Please define assault weapon. Is it a military looking rifle capable of semi automatic fire?
What if you took that hard ware and installed it into a plain wooden stock?
I target shoot a lot. I used to compete as a matter of fact. What amazed me was how poorly so many cops shoot. High fiving each other for a five inch group at ten meters. If I shot a five inch group at 25 meters I would put my weapon away and take up needle point.
I would watch them handle their weapons and cringe. Looking for their safety!!!!!!

for all you cops, former military that dont know the difference and people that do not know what an assault rifle is.

an assault rifle is; A rifle that is a carbine cartridge ( with muzzle energy between a pistol round and a full size rifle round) that is magazine fed capable of firing both semi automatic and automatic fire and a capable effective range of 300 meters.

anything else is not an assault rifle.

assault rifle@Everything2.com

Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I can eliminate you just as easy with a Ruger 10-22, as I can with a tactical rifle.

not at 700 meters under cover.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
You just have a limited magazine capacity, no bayonet lug and no flash hider. You can have Wilson Combat install a PERMANENT "muzzle break" ONLY that looks like a standard A2 no bottom slot flash hider though. It restores the look and still gives you faster follow up shots without eliminating signature flash. They look cheesy without at least something on the barrel.

Not all of them.

why would I want a muzzle break on a rifle when a flash hider works much better?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Oh I know, been on the range with too many of them. Most muzzle unaware group at large I've ever witnessed in a formal training setting. Sadly that includes some who are themselves certified LE firearms instructors.
I think you are confusing the group of LEOs that have pieces of bitten off fingernails in their Sig Sauer P-226 hammer. The rails are bone dry and no TW-25 grease is used. The milkshake they spilled on the grips at lunch is still there a month later. Then you have the other side of the coin. "You can't get in front of my gun, because I'm in control!" "I'm in CONTROL"! And can teach you many things you won't learn elsewhere. They own just as many as the next guy, many times MORE! They also can sit and talk about guns all day without getting bored. Many civies can't even do that.

Shooting Under Stress - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies