Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
I think that is the liberals MO, if you don't like what the opposition says, don't debate them, silence them!
When can someone be on his show to debate, on the air?
Has he reached out to a 'lefty' to debate him on the air?

How is he being silenced?

Maybe if other radio stations drop his show, like the one in Hawaii, THEN he may be silenced, but nothing we say here will 'silence' him, or anyone else we disagree with.

What a drama queen...

Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Now Allstate dropped him. Wow, they are dropping so fast, it's hard to keep up.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Now Allstate dropped him. Wow, they are dropping so fast, it's hard to keep up.
GOOD!
I've been an Allstate customer for over 25 years.
Glad to see they have some semblance of morality.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
The list is up to nine, last I saw. Yes the free market is the only proper way to decide ones fate, and whether good or bad, that is always true.

If the show survives, its going to have to be with a much smaller footprint, as these were major advertisers, and any foolish enough to replace them would be able to get "foreclosure rates".

Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 PM

409 posts, read 254,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
GOOD!
I've been an Allstate customer for over 25 years.
Glad to see they have some semblance of morality.
Morality? they are just doing it for the exposure

Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
All I see is advertisers bowing to pressure from liberals that are anti- 1st Amendment.
You are aware that the 1st restricts government actions, not those of private entities, right? Right?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
All I see is advertisers bowing to pressure from liberals that are anti- 1st Amendment. But soon enough those advertisers are going to be replaced. They are losing out on tens of millions potential customers. There are no liberal talk show hosts with more than 25million listeners.
Sometimes, values are more important than money. These companies recognize that.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Default The real reason that Limbaugh was wrong: a conservative's perspective.

Like many Limbaugh fans, I've been listening for about 25 years now. I still remember the exact circumstance when I first heard his show. All I could say was, "wow, who IS this guy?" I soon found out.

Nonetheless I must conclude that indeed, Limbaugh was in the wrong in this recent controversy. Forget that the media will never hold the Bill Mahers accountable for much viler, cruder comments made about Palin. Forget left-wingers hairsplitting sophistry, such as the claim that Maher is somehow 'deeeefeeerrent,' or that it's ok to call Palin a "c**t;" that's deeefeeerrent, too. The left and MSM lie and shovel fertilizer? That's nothing new, and barely worth bringing up.

No, Limbaugh was wrong here. To refer to this 30-yr-old law student as a "s**t" or "prostitute was wrong. What is a s**t? Merriam Webster, my favorite dictionary, defines it as a "saucy woman." Nothing wrong with that. And prostitutes, I've known many of them in my time. Most are just in tough situations, trying to make a buck to survive. I've known several that did it to avoid going on the government dole. I've never known one who attempted to force others to pay for her contraceptives.

Sandra Fluke's demand of making someone else pay, non-voluntarily, for something that she wanted, is in essence is a form of thievery. So this was an insult to s**s and prostitutes everywhere. Rush, you were wrong, and you were right to apologize.

Now time to move on.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
IF Rush had said that birth control pills wouldn't cost that much...No problem
IF Rush had said that an employer shouldn't be required to provide insurance coverage....No problem
IF Rush had said that it is an infringement on religious freedom ...No problem
Heck, IF Rush had said he doesn't believe anyone should take birth control pills....No problem.

Those are opinions and he certainly had a right to voice those opinions.

BUT that is NOT what Rush said. What Rush said was;

Sandra Fluke is a sl*t
Sandra Fluke is a prostitute
Sandra Fluke sleeps with so many men that she need thousands in bc costs
Sandra Fluke must send me videos of her having sex

THAT is slander and that is vicious lies and he does NOT have a right to say that without paying the consequences for it.
No, it is hyperbole from a long-time passionately conservative radio shock jock entertainer. People like him and Howard Stern do this. That is what they do. He's not really accusing her of being a prostitute, it's absurdist hyperbole, everyone knows that, they are just being childish and trying to silence someone they don't agree with. Maybe we should stop all comedians who are offensive too, and musicians and artists. Then we can silence our neighbors, have doublespeak police and everyone can walk around with tape on our mouths.

This would go away sooner if people would just let it go. It's not really about this woman, it's about a hot issue and Fluke chose to speak out publicly opening herself up to such criticism and yes, even some nasty jokes.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Like many Limbaugh fans, I've been listening for about 25 years now. I still remember the exact circumstance when I first heard his show. All I could say was, "wow, who IS this guy?" I soon found out.

Nonetheless I must conclude that indeed, Limbaugh was in the wrong in this recent controversy. Forget that the media will never hold the Bill Mahers accountable for much viler, cruder comments made about Palin. Forget left-wingers hairsplitting sophistry, such as the claim that Maher is somehow 'deeeefeeerrent,' or that it's ok to call Palin a "c**t;" that's deeefeeerrent, too. The left and MSM lie and shovel fertilizer? That's nothing new, and barely worth bringing up.

No, Limbaugh was wrong here. To refer to this 30-yr-old law student as a "s**t" or "prostitute was wrong. What is a s**t? Merriam Webster, my favorite dictionary, defines it as a "saucy woman." Nothing wrong with that. And prostitutes, I've known many of them in my time. Most are just in tough situations, trying to make a buck to survive. I've known several that did it to avoid going on the government dole. I've never known one who attempted to force others to pay for her contraceptives.

In essence the idea of making someone else pay, non-voluntarily, for something that you want, equals theivery. So this was an insult to s**s and prostitutes everywhere. Rush, you were wrong, and you were right to apologize.

Now time to move on.
Palin was a public figure and thrust herself and her family into the spotlight.

That is far different than the intentional misrepresentation of a college student's testimony and the subsequent barrage of hate speech that followed.

Equating Maher's comment about a VP candidate and those from Limbaugh are completely apples and oranges. Maher expressed a crude opinion; Limbaugh intentionally distorted testimony for his overgrown frat boy mentality listeners, and spent three days spewing every vile characherization his reptillian mind could conjour.

Time to move on? I don't think so. The GOP candidates have been timid to challenge Limbaugh's characterizations. That gives the story legs. Sorry, but it's NOT time to move on. Not by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies