Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
20 year olds are children?
Where do you get your information from Fox News? The kid was barely 17.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, but technically the way racism is defined, only whites can be considered racists. Yes, it's like the killing of Jamiel Shaw, definitely involved racism but since it was a latino killer, it was not viewed as such.
I would disagree with that but I'm not the juror on the case. The way SPLC defines racism includes Nation of Islam. So what's the difference between the way they define "isms"/ hate/ bias crimes relative to the law? Moreover, what motive would stormfront (who claims to be justified by black supremacy violence) have to stand in the way of hate crime legislation? Because none of the above would have a leg to stand on anymore.

This would INCLUDE latino gangs targeting others. This would INCLUDE whomever started selling themselves a load of malarcky that Asians were out to get whites, or blacks, or latinos, or whomever. This would INCLUDE persecution of gays because they're gay, and persecution of children by pedophiles.

I'm not playing this game with these idiots. Give them a time out in Afghanistan. See how long the Mujadeen tolerates their crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's why the Zimmerman side was so quick to point out that he isn't white. They understand how it works.
Whatever they think they understand, they don't understand how it works with me and many others like me. I'm old school MLK. Content means everything.

I don't see the Jewish community rushing to his aid and defense on account of his 'protected status' Jewish religion. Perhaps because when a man is guilty he's guilty, and no amount of BS stories, evidence suppression, and reindeer games in Florida's good old boy network is going to change that fact? It's not a Jewish issue. It's a gross miscarriage of legislation & justice (or more aptly stated lack of justice) issue.

I haven't heard Mark Rubio carrying on that this latino is being 'persecuted'. Sonya Sotomayer is crying poor put upon foul? I haven't heard a damned thing from the "latino community". Is there a reason why we should hear a thing out of any of them? I can't think of one. They seem to know what a guilty man looks like themselves, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, whatever racism does happen in the latino community will be policed by their own (which is the only legitimate purpose I can reckon of any given community affiliation).

So come on now, malamute. These are bogus arguments. Why are you positing them knowing it's akin to elevating Oprah had bigfoot's baby to the non fiction section of reality? Why pander to idiots? You're better than this. Knock it off.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Even taking your word that he was visiting, he had a right to be there. He was not trespassing on anybody's property.

Zimmerman murdered this child in cold blood and he should pay the ultimate penalty.
So what makes this unique?
Quote:
Trayvon's case is unique.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Where do you get your information from Fox News? The kid was barely 17.
You said that someone who cannot buy alcohol is a child - that would include a 20 year old. I get my "information" from you! Do you believe that a 20 year is not an adult?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
Believe this.....Zimmerman's days of freedom are numbered. Per FL statute stand your ground does not apply when the individual using defensive force was committing an unlawful act. He was told not to follow Trayvon thus making him a "harraser" and/or a stalker, both crimes and unlawful.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I would disagree with that but I'm not the juror on the case. The way SPLC defines racism includes Nation of Islam. So what's the difference between the way they define "isms"/ hate/ bias crimes relative to the law? Moreover, what motive would stormfront (who claims to be justified by black supremacy violence) have to stand in the way of hate crime legislation? Because none of the above would have a leg to stand on anymore.

This would INCLUDE latino gangs targeting others. This would INCLUDE whomever started selling themselves a load of malarcky that Asians were out to get whites, or blacks, or latinos, or whomever. This would INCLUDE persecution of gays because they're gay, and persecution of children by pedophiles.

I'm not playing this game with these idiots. Give them a time out in Afghanistan. See how long the Mujadeen tolerates their crap.

Whatever they think they understand, they don't understand how it works with me and many others like me. I'm old school MLK. Content means everything.

I don't see the Jewish community rushing to his aid and defense on account of his 'protected status' Jewish religion. Perhaps because when a man is guilty he's guilty, and no amount of BS stories, evidence suppression, and reindeer games in Florida's good old boy network is going to change that fact? It's not a Jewish issue. It's a gross miscarriage of legislation & justice (or more aptly stated lack of justice) issue.

I haven't heard Mark Rubio carrying on that this latino is being 'persecuted'. Sonya Sotomayer is crying poor put upon foul? I haven't heard a damned thing from the "latino community". Is there a reason why we should hear a thing out of any of them? I can't think of one. They seem to know what a guilty man looks like themselves, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, whatever racism does happen in the latino community will be policed by their own (which is the only legitimate purpose I can reckon of any given community affiliation).

So come on now, malamute. These are bogus arguments. Why are you positing them knowing it's akin to elevating Oprah had bigfoot's baby to the non fiction section of reality? Why pander to idiots? You're better than this. Knock it off.
You have a way of eviscerating nonsense and putting things into perspective.... must come with experience.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
NYGuy..
yea, he was visiting his father's girlfriends house.. that's what was initially reported... They were watching the NBA All Star game and he went out during half time to the store.. the incident occurred on his way back. So, yes.. he belonged their but NO he was not a resident.

The outrage in this case occurred when the Police Department and Attorney Generals office appeared satisfied with Zimmerman's story of self defense when the facts didn't seem to point to that.

Do I think Zimmerman deserves the death penalty, NAW.. but a good LONG stint in the Pen would seem to be warranted.

Do I think Zimmerman was racially motivated? Not enough information to confirm this. But we should focus on Zimmerman's crime which at minimum is man slaughter.

Again my biggest concern is the PD seemed to simply rubber stamp this incident as self defense. They didn't appear to Want to investigate this further than simply questioning Zimmerman and some eye witness' whom the appear to have coached or coaxed if you will.

I think we would all benefit by trying to look at this from the parents of Trayvon's point of view. Your child was walking home or to a home he was visiting and someone profiled him, stalked him, approached him, accused him and then shot him dead.. then the Police seem to want to simply brush it under the rug and move on.. WOW! I can see the outrage..

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Agreed. From what I see so far, Zimmerman instigated this.
He may have instigated it, but that doesn't mean he committed murder.

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If someone considers Florida to be a third world 'country', then they consider 19 other states as third world countries as they also have 'stand your ground' laws.
Third world? How about Chicago as of today recording it's 100th homicide in only less than 3 months. And many of them were African-Americans. Where's the outrage? More people killed in Chicago than Bagdad.
FL has some very lax laws in many areas.

For example a driver can hit and kill a motorcyclist and all they need to say is they didn't see them, they get a ticket. The bikers are trying to get this one changed.

Toddlers are constantly drowing in pools and ONLY if drugs are found in the house are charges filed. Just being a bad parent and negligent gets you off scott free.

Last week a senior drove into an Olive Garden and seriously injured two customers, no charges. And no evaluation, no yanking of the license, nothing.

This is a weeky event in FL.

You run a red light and kill someone, you get a ticket. VERY RARELY are charges filed.

Up until recently there was no drug database, so the same person could get 3 different scripts for Oxycontin and no tracking was going on, making FL the "pill mill state".

Other governors and other Republicans pleaded with Rick Scott to sign a drug database law into effect, he delayed it. Finally it has gotten so out of control in FL with people coming in from all over to these "pain clinics", they're finally starting to crack down.

FL leads the nation in deadly hit and run, pedestrian deaths, motorcycle, and bicycle deaths.

It is a banana republic.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Where else in the civilized world can you shoot a child to death and get away with it because of an arbitrary law that allows you to murder at will and then claim self-defense to cover it up?

The complicity and blatant corruption of the Sanford police department in handling the case is just further salt in the wound. Things like this are not supposed to happen in a civilized first-world country. Florida is an embarrassment to America.

The fact that Zimmerman is walking free today is not just a great injustice, it's a damning indictment on us as a nation. If this man isn't brought to justice for this murder, America can no longer claim to be the champion of the free world when its own citizens can't even walk the streets in their own neighborhood without been murdered because of the color of their skin.
There are other discussions on this subject where I've already posted a lot, but I want to mention that at least a dozen other states have this law. I'm not saying I agree with it at all, but don't blame Florida as much as that particular police department. I mean, are you saying New York has no corruption and nothing to be embarrassed about? Puhleeze! I'm from Boston and I've been in NYC several times. Don't tell me there's no racism there. What about the unarmed man who was shot over 50 times by cops and they were acquitted!

Also, the Stand Your Ground law has nothing to do with this case, it's an excuse by a corrupt and inept police department. Once George Zimmerman chased Traynor Martin, he lost that defense. He was told to stay in his vehicle and chose to go after him, so he cannot possibly say he felt threatened by the teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies