Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I clicked on your link and there were no details about the bill.
Try this one -

hb954_LC_25_6037S_hcs_5.html

The section below is the only exception under which doctors are allowed to perform an abortion without facing not less than one but no more than ten years in jail. Note it does not state that you can perform an abortion if the fetus has expired, only if you may save its life or save the life of (or prevent substantial and irreversible physical impairment to) the mother.

Guess we should be thankful that's in there, but I wouldn't be surprised if soon enough they revise that exception too.

Quote:
(c)(1) No abortion is authorized or shall be performed after the second trimester if the probable gestational age of the unborn child has been determined in accordance with Code Section 31-9B-2 to be 20 weeks or more unless the physician and two consulting physicians certify that in reasonable medical judgment the abortion is necessary in their best clinical judgment to preserve the life or health of the woman to:
(A) Avert the death of the pregnant woman or avert serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant woman. No such condition shall be deemed to exist if it is based on a diagnosis or claim of a mental or emotional condition of the pregnant woman or that the pregnant woman will purposefully engage in conduct which she intends to result in her death or in substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function; or
(B) Preserve the life of an unborn child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It has yet to be proven to me that the bill states what you say it does. Stop with the demonization of the entire Republican party. Democrats don't all think alike either!
There has only been one very loud, vocal Republican opponent to this bill. She was threatened by her own party. A very lonely voice in the wilderness. Where are all these other opponents?

Republican lawmaker/nurse opposes abortion bill | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM

I notice in the bill too, that one physician and two consulting physicians need to concur that the woman's life is at risk before the abortion can be performed.

Quote:
(c)(1) No abortion is authorized or shall be performed after the second trimester if the probable gestational age of the unborn child has been determined in accordance with Code Section 31-9B-2 to be 20 weeks or more unless the physician and two consulting physicians certify that in reasonable medical judgment the abortion is necessary in their best clinical judgment
How is that going to play out a 4am in a rural hospital?

What if it's your wife who dies because there weren't enough doctors to sign off on the surgery and the one doctor on call didn't want to go to jail for no less than one but no more than ten years?

It needs THREE doctors to determine the woman's prognosis in a possible emergency situation, which is so obviously ridiculously risky that I can't even fathom the logic.

There are no exceptions to this part of the bill. Men should be concerned for their wives, their sisters, and their daughters.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
There is no abortion if the baby is dead. Look up stillborn births. Doesn't the pregnancy end shortly after the baby dies in the womb? How long can a baby stay in the womb if it is dead? It certainly is not growing and probably shriveling and getting smaller.

The church would have no problem with a doctor inducing labor to deliver the baby. Some mothers do not want the baby aborted and cut up though. Many are allowed to hold the baby and bury it if it is far enough along. IMO most feel it is a baby long before it is born and have already named it, etc.

The guy in the video is a jerk though. People need to think before they speak.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Disgusting.

Are you sure?

I heard him talking about cows, pigs and chickens, but I didn't hear him say what the propaganda site says he said.

Supposedly he compared women to farm animals, but he never said woman or women in the clip.

When I see a sentence or two out of context followed by ", in other words", I know it's getting deep and stinky.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
There is no abortion if the baby is dead. Look up stillborn births. Doesn't the pregnancy end shortly after the baby dies in the womb? How long can a baby stay in the womb if it is dead? It certainly is not growing and probably shriveling and getting smaller.

The church would have no problem with a doctor inducing labor to deliver the baby. Some mothers do not want the baby aborted and cut up though. Many are allowed to hold the baby and bury it if it is far enough along. IMO most feel it is a baby long before it is born and have already named it, etc.

The guy in the video is a jerk though. People need to think before they speak.
Definition of ABORTION

: the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed bythe death of the embryo or fetus: as

a
: spontaneous expulsion of a human fetus during the first 12 weeks of gestation — compare miscarriage

b
: induced expulsion of a human fetus

How long is "shortly"? While some women may expel the fetus naturally, that's not a given within any specific timeframe. IMO, any amount of time you were still carrying your dead child would be immeasurable.

And while I appreciate that some women may choose to have labor induced, some women may absolutely not be able to emotionally handle giving birth to a stillborn child. No one should certainly be making that decision for you.

The bill does not allow any medical instruments or medication to be used to expel the fetus, unless under those two exceptions, so in this case, you would be forced to carry the dead fetus whether you wanted to or not.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Definition of ABORTION

: the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed bythe death of the embryo or fetus: as

a
: spontaneous expulsion of a human fetus during the first 12 weeks of gestation — compare miscarriage

b
: induced expulsion of a human fetus

How long is "shortly"? While some women may expel the fetus naturally, that's not a given within any specific timeframe. IMO, any amount of time you were still carrying your dead child would be immeasurable.

And while I appreciate that some women may choose to have labor induced, some women may absolutely not be able to emotionally handle giving birth to a stillborn child. No one should certainly be making that decision for you.

The bill does not allow any medical instruments or medication to be used to expel the fetus, unless under those two exceptions, so in this case, you would be forced to carry the dead fetus whether you wanted to or not.
According to what I've read, the doctors normally want to induce pretty quickly. If the labor doesn't start naturally within two weeks, the normal procedure is to induce, and a late-term fetal death that doesn't naturally abort after four weeks increases risk of blood clots in the mother.

I can't imagine being forced to carry a corpse for however long it takes. Isn't that what happened to Barbara Eden? One of her children died in utero, and she had to wait for what I seem to remember was a long time before labor ended it.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Definition of ABORTION

a : spontaneous expulsion of a human fetus during the first 12 weeks of gestation — compare miscarriage

b : induced expulsion of a human fetus

Oh for crying out loud. The Duggars recently has a stillborn baby and there can't be anymore religious family around. Watch how it was done for them. No woman is going to be FORCED to carry a dead fetus/baby.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,815 times
The GOP hate against women in full force folks. Thats all this is.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
The GOP hate against women in full force folks. Thats all this is.

RRRIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTTTT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies