Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"Like drumming up the nonsense rhetoric that republicans want to ban contraceptives?"
These were Santorum's words, how else would you interpret them?

Quote:
"I don't think it works. I think it's harmful to women. I think it's harmful to our society to have a society that says that sex outside of marriage is something that should be encouraged or tolerated, particularly among the young. And I think we've very, very harmful longterm consequences to our society. Birth control to me enables that, and I don't think it's a healthy thing for our country." - Rick Santorum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Lower the hammer? Everyone has a right to their own views. The problem is that the left picks out isolated incidents and the very few radicals on the right and uses them as examples of what the entire party stands for. They will even twist, spin and lie about an incident and words from the right as has been obvious by the numerous topics started in this forum. Mostly all lies! I could say the same thing about the left. Why don't they call out the radicals on their side? As you said, "they do it to" or "the side is worse" is what the left says also. Pot, kettle, black!
Isolated incidents BAHAHAHAHAHAHA? Are you friggin kidding me? There are bills to restrict abortion in utah,mississippi,new hampshire,virginia,texas,north carolina,south dakota,wisconsin,idaho,kansas,iowa,georgia,ohio,mi ssouri,tennessee, pennsylvania, and florida. And thats from intrusive medical procedures, making doctors have ridiculous requirements to perform abortions, wait times, forcing doctors to describe the fetus, and make the women hear the heartbeat, and allowing doctors to outright lie to keep a women from having one. That's not to mention the states trying to defund planned parenthood, and the states working on banning contraception. Oh yea.....very isolated .

Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
If the "personhood" bills that have been introduced by REPUBLICANS are passed, that make use of the IUD a crime. And incidentally puts breast cancer survivors at a hige disadvantage since BC pills containing estrogen are contraindicated. The IUD is one of their few remaining options.

Tell me again how the Republicans are not trying to ban contraceptives?
Well personhood bills don't really restrict anything since missouri has one and it doesn't. It's more one of those symbolic victories than anything.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
They also are disregarding the issue of risking the mother's health by having to deliver a larger fetus that will not live. Delivering a full-term fetus can cause a lot of damage. Women who want children are willing to take the risk for a child, but most who have a dying fetus would rather end it sooner and minimize suffering to themselves, their families, and the fetus itself.
How can the fetus get larger if it is dead? If it is dying how will it get bigger, it should get smaller. Maybe they are waiting for it to be smaller so it will be easier to deliver.

We need a doctor in here to explain.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How can the fetus get larger if it is dead? If it is dying how will it get bigger, it should get smaller. Maybe they are waiting for it to be smaller so it will be easier to deliver.

We need a doctor in here to explain.
I don't think you need a doctor to explain, you just need to read more carefully before you joyfully leap on what you think is a mistake.

She was referring to (and said) a fetus that won't live. Like a fetus with anencephaly. Why should a woman carry a fetus to term knowing it will die when born, and have to go through the pain of normal labor and delivery/.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I don't think you need a doctor to explain, you just need to read more carefully before you joyfully leap on what you think is a mistake.

She was referring to (and said) a fetus that won't live. Like a fetus with anencephaly. Why should a woman carry a fetus to term knowing it will die when born, and have to go through the pain of normal labor and delivery/.
Yes, thank you.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
This seems extreme to say the least. I am not sure what is the point he is trying to make with this:

Georgia Rep Wants To Force Women To Carry Stillborn Babies To Term
I guess it's because the doctor might be wrong about the fetus being dead.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
The baby is no longer alive so it has no rights. Congress doesn't own it's people. The womans rights are being violated. It is her call.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I love the whole emotional speech about the guy who said he would give up his chickens if only they outlawed abortion. He went on and on about how it was the last thing in the world he ever expected to hear from this man...I mean wth does that even mean?
Maybe he thinks it's wrong and immoral to eat a chicken egg, especially if it's fertilized.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
The sad part is that this does man not represent all Republicans, not even the majority, I think. Just the minority who makes the most noise. When you have idiots spouting nonsense like this, most sane Republicans and Conservatives should do their best to distance themselves from it, and even call him out on his utter lack of sensibility.
I don't know about that. It took the majority of voters to elect this wacko Republican. And they might vote to reelect him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies