Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 05:32 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,456,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Racial profiling won't work. If it did, then the crime rate would be lower than it is now.
It worked in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,784,961 times
Quote:
Alas, the very people begging for an honest conversation on race will likely accuse you of racism for saying so.
indeed.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,738,164 times
Quote:
No, but there is still a legacy of things that are going on. There are alot of things that you do not understand. Whenever Black people had a chance to live wherever they wanted and had the money to do it, they ran with it. Those persons who were not able to live in the worst neighborhoods today.

I never said there was any excuse for murder, or other crimes. However, there are still legacies of slavery that are still present, and some African-Americans have manifested that. You said that this nation is passing Black people by. Well, this nation historically has never been that nice to African-Americans, period. When I said that African-Americans have seen the worst that this nation, I also should have mentioned that for some African-Americans, it has bred an attitude of cynicism and anger. You came to this nation without all of that in your mind. For you, this nation was tabula rasa. For many African-Americans, the mentality has come from seeing America at its worst.

More Black people are in the middle class than ever, more have college degrees than ever. If you're Black and don't have a high school education, your life will be much worse than it was for high school dropouts in the 1950s. Thanks to the de-industrialization of this country, alot of blue collar jobs are gone now. Go look what has happened in the working class sections of UK cities like Liverpool, Glasgow(that was once the murder capital of Europe), London, Leeds, Manchester,etc. You can have some violent sections of those cities.
Well stated. I just wanted to mention that I believe the separation of our family units continues as a result of the auctioning of the big strong buck to the highest bidder. IMO that practice remains a huge part of the residuals of slavery that continues to contribute to the horrible legacy of black men abandoning their responsibility as fathers and the separation of our families.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 09-09-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,525,819 times
Quote:
Racial profiling won't work. If it did, then the crime rate would be lower than it is now.
You could look at it the other way around. Without racial profiling, the crime rate might be higher than it is. Not only racial profiling, but throw in ethnic, religious, economic status, and other forms of profiling.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,234,071 times
As much as it can hurt hearing these stereotypes from whites about us, nothing hurts more than hearing that same message spewed out towards blacks by other blacks. See below:

Sissified Black Men - YouTube

Black Women, Don't Let Them DEHUMANIZE You - YouTube

Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 PM

73,144 posts, read 62,819,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It worked in NYC.
You did mention that alot of crimes are committed by Blacks. If racial profiling worked, fewer crimes would be committed by Blacks. The Black crime rate would be on par with the White crime rate. In my view, it doesn't work because you are more likely to be pulling over law-abiding Black people than the criminals. Most criminals find ways to be a step ahead of the law.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Well stated. I just wanted to mention that I believe the separation of our family units continues as a result of the auctioning of the big strong buck to the highest bidder. IMO that practice remains a huge part of the residuals of slavery that continues to contribute to the horrible legacy of black men abandoning their responsibility as fathers and the separation of our families.
I mention all of this because education is needed. If one gets to the roots of dysfunction, then one can solve those problems.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You could look at it the other way around. Without racial profiling, the crime rate might be higher than it is. Not only racial profiling, but throw in ethnic, religious, economic status, and other forms of profiling.
My theory is this. You won't catch every criminal. In fact, I think the way things work, some criminals are getting wise to this and look for ways to not look suspicious.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,938,031 times
Quote:
My theory is this. You won't catch every criminal. In fact, I think the way things work, some criminals are getting wise to this and look for ways to not look suspicious.
I'm gonna say that MOST criminals ain't that smart off the bat and WILL bring attention to their sorry butts. The dudes and ladies who KNOW different usually want better in life and avoid the underworld.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm gonna say that MOST criminals ain't that smart off the bat and WILL bring attention to their sorry butts. The dudes and ladies who KNOW different usually want better in life and avoid the underworld.
I am saying that more criminals are seeing these things coming, as impulsive as they are. This doesn't apply to every criminal.

Most of the racial profiling cases I've witnessed, it wasn't a criminal who was getting pulled over. It was a regular, law-abiding citizen getting pulled over. Those persons avoid the underworld. It doesn't protect them from getting profiled. I should know. I have family members this has happened to. I was in a car with my father when he was profiled. The police basically pulled him over one night for no particular reason. It wasn't the last time this would happen. He was on his way to church one morning and a police officer kept following him. It happens to law-abiding citizens too.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-09-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies