Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
So, because you don't like the way some people went about supporting Trayvon, you chose to side with Zimmerman? Makes little sense to me, but whatever.
I'm siding with the facts as they are available in the public sphere. If the state's case brings new info to light I'll reassess then. To date I have heard nothing that convicts this man.

Admittedly Sharpton and company are a turn off though but I guess he has the capacity to be right once in awhile. Who knows maybe this is one of those times.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Your answer is in the second quote, Toyman. For any kind of confrontation to have taken place between Zimmerman and Martin, the aggressor had to be Zimmerman. Martin was fleeing the scene. Zimmerman's job was simply to provide police with enough information to seek and interview Martin to see if anything further needed to be done, nothing more. Martin was apparently 70 feet from his home. This does not sound like Martin didn't belong where he was spotted by Zimmerman. A better defense for Zimmerman than SYG would have been some kind of temporary insanity triggered by the sight of a black guy in a hoodie. It would still be upsetting to the black community but we are used to upset. To outrage. To injustice. SYG as a defense was an insult to the collective intelligence of the world, not just the black people of America. That's why Zimmerman is in custody and awaiting trial.

H
There are multiple ways it could play out, yours is one scenario.

Another is...numerous crimes had been committed in the neighborhood, with witnesses describing the perpetrators as black males.

Zimmerman spots someone who fits that description "acting supiciously" (his words). When Martin goes off the sidewalk (onto private property?), Z follows at a distance to report his location to police (per the 911 call). When asked by the 911 operator if he is following M, Z reports that he is. When told by 911 "we don't need you to do that", Zimmerman turns and starts back toward his vehicle. On the way back to the car, Martin assaults Z, knocking him to the ground and repeatedly pounding his head into the ground. Fearing for his life, Z pulls his legally carried firearm. Either in defense or when fighting for posession of the weapon it discharges, killing M.

Which scenario is what happened? That's for a jury to decide.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I'm looking at Zimmerman's mugshot on twitter and underneath it says account balance is $121. Is that all he raised on that website of his?

https://twitter.com/#!/donlemoncnn/s.../photo/1/large
I would presume that maybe the money he had on him at the time of arrest.

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Exactly! He lost SYG right there.
SYG just says he does not have to retreat if attacked. He will still have a Self Defense clain.

SYG and Self Defense are 2 seperate issues.

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Me too...I hope he will be placed in protective custody, you just never know in Florida!! Casey Anthony had that protection in Orange County, don't know how it works in Seminole County, I've heard reports that Seminole County will follow the "normal" arrest procedures ...Seminole County is a little behind the times in case anyone hasn't noticed...
Was just watching the news and the reporter said that Zimmerman was being processed and evaluated to see if he would go into GP. I hope Florida's jail system isn't that inept!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm siding with the facts as they are available in the public sphere. If the state's case brings new info to light I'll reassess then. To date I have heard nothing that convicts this man.

Admittedly Sharpton and company are a turn off though but I guess he has the capacity to be right once in awhile. Who knows maybe this is one of those times.
No, you're not siding with the facts. You're making outlandish claims in an attempt to distract and get rep points from a certain ilk on these threads. But that's cool; do you.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Another is...numerous crimes had been committed in the neighborhood, with witnesses describing the perpetrators as black males.

Zimmerman spots someone who fits that description "acting supiciously" (his words). When Martin goes off the sidewalk (onto private property?), Z follows at a distance to report his location to police (per the 911 call). When asked by the 911 operator if he is following M, Z reports that he is. When told by 911 "we don't need you to do that", Zimmerman turns and starts back toward his vehicle. On the way back to the car, Martin assaults Z, knocking him to the ground and repeatedly pounding his head into the ground. Fearing for his life, Z pulls his legally carried firearm. Either in defense or when fighting for posession of the weapon it discharges, killing M.

Yup. This is how I feel events occurred. His initial suspicion was legitimate in my view. Rash of burglaries committed by young black males in the development. Martin didn't live there, was not known to the neighbors, his dad did not live there either. He was a stranger.

I also think Zimmerman was struck from behind and Martin got the better of him. As you say we will see. Should be interesting.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
No, you're not siding with the facts. You're making outlandish claims in an attempt to distract and get rep points from a certain ilk on these threads. But that's cool; do you.
Just so you know I have gotten no rep points from my comments on this thread, yet.

Sorry I don't see with African American eyes I try to be a little bit more objective.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

What is interesting is that Zimmerman says Trayvon was acting suspicious. Did it ever occur to him (or some of you all) that it may have seemed that way because Trayvon was *nervous* about some strange guy watching him??!!

BTW, there is NO proof that Zimmerman turned back towards his car and was attacked from behind. None at all.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
BTW, there is NO proof that Zimmerman turned back towards his car and was attacked from behind. None at all.
And there is no proof he wasn't. None at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies