Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Most REITs do include Section 8's. Thanks for the voice of reason. NAV$ is bottom line for the GOP.

Oh and OP Section 8's been around since the 70's so you cant really blame Obama.

Sure they can, most people are stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That, my friend, is the whole story, and she was darned proud of beating the system.

The only way that I can think of it that she was living with the original section 8 person who either died or moved and she kept the place and just paid the rent. The only way that she could have kept that up is that she had some sort of agreement with the original renter of the HUD person is not paying attention to what they are doing

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Maybe they don't have an in but they are disproportionate voucher users. Anytime a waiting list opens up the lines are overwhelmingly Black even in cities where Blacks make up a fraction of the population. Not for nothing it is black section 8 holders who are spreading crime and their nonsense to formerly nice hoods. Then cry racism when they are called on it. The problem is a lot of the people calling them out are also black.

I think blacks in this country generally are very well networked socially. When a waiting list opens up the first person to find out starts telling their friends. The news goes viral quickly. One black person aware of an open waiting list can get hundreds of people to sign up for it.

Low-income whites, on the other hand, generally are networked poorly if at all. Twenty white people aware of an open waiting list might not get 100 people to sign up.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, eliminate Section 8 assistance.

Now what? Where do those people live? Where do you think they'll go?

Crickets.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Let them camp down by the river without fresh water or sanitation. The disease will thin the herd and teach the rest to never be poor.
Yep, and then after watching people like yourself feast and live well, it is time to rob the well off folks not the rich mind you because they live far away from the middle class working folks who will suffer the brunt of the new crime wave

Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If the recipient isn't handicapped or elderly, there should be a time limit to Section 8. If the recipient isn't handicapped or elderly, then the value of the voucher should diminish every year until it becomes obsolete. Section 8 should help a poor person get an apartment, and in the beginning, having the rent subsidy gives them time to get their life in order, but eventually they need to learn how to afford it on their own.

So people with dead-end minimum wage jobs are just out of luck?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know wherever they lived before Section 8. Your scare tactics don't work with me. They'll find a place to live.

I guess back to the grass huts of someone's native country

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So people with dead-end minimum wage jobs are just out of luck?
As best I can gather from these forums, they're expected to magically be able to 'save' enough money to go back to college, rack up huge debts, and then "get a better paying job."

Oh, and live within their means while never having any bad luck, driving an older car, and no medical problems at all.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It doesn't really matter much to me what some politician says, I will NEVER - under ANY circumstances - rent to a Section 8 tenant. It's a 100% guarantee that they're going to destroy the house.

How does that work? I'm income-eligible for Section 8 (been eligible for many years) and I have never destroyed a house or apartment.

Will I somehow "go bad" if I ever get a Section 8 voucher?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And where the racial factor comes in is that blacks and Hispanic try to maximize on what they can get from our government. I would say that of the Asians I've known over the years, they would consider it extremely shameful to be on Section 8 housing or welfare.
Please provide the data that backs this assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies