Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
It's disgusting. It's even worse that they ignore the greatly informative links and continue with the irrational contention that Zimmerman is some kind of hero. Let Zimmerman take "personal responsibility" for his actions.
We can only hope that the bigots are slowly dying out.
Anytime someone denounces those who disagree with them as bigots you know that person has a weak argument.

The vast majority of us are fair minded people. My very first post on this matter was to say that Zimmerman should be charged with murder.

The facts have since changed and so has my view. It's apparent that you and others like you are not guided by facts but some larger societal agenda. That's simply wrong.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,199,166 times
Florida Statutes Chapter 784 ASSAULT; BATTERY; CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE
784.048 Stalking; definitions; penalties.—
snip...
(1) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Harass” means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.
(b) “Course of conduct” means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of “course of conduct.” Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.
(c) “Credible threat” means a threat made with the intent to cause the person who is the target of the threat to reasonably fear for his or her safety. The threat must be against the life of, or a threat to cause bodily injury to, a person.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You didn't read my post.

Here is some more information about stalking.

Stalking legal definition of Stalking. Stalking synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
The link you posted has this:

Criminal activity consisting of the repeated following and harassing of another person.

How can Zimmerman stalk someone he just met?

Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Tell us, Edward, are you an attorney? Somehow I got the idea you were in finance?

Anyway. . .

Stalking

The exact legal definition varies from state to state, but all states now have some kind of law against stalking. Virtually any unwanted contact between a stalker and their victim which directly or indirectly communicates a threat or places the victim in fear can generally be referred to as stalking, whether or not it meets a state's exact legal definition.
I am in finance, that's why I try to limit my comments to the facts. The term stalking and the legal definition of stalking both require "repeated" harassment of the victim. Try as you might that did not occur between Zimmerman and Martin.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Florida Statutes Chapter 784 ASSAULT; BATTERY; CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE
784.048 Stalking; definitions; penalties.—
snip...
(1) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Harass” means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.
(b) “Course of conduct” means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of “course of conduct.” Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.
(c) “Credible threat” means a threat made with the intent to cause the person who is the target of the threat to reasonably fear for his or her safety. The threat must be against the life of, or a threat to cause bodily injury to, a person.
Seems simple enough yet we have people here who insist Zimmerman stalked Martin.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,020,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Neither ff5000 nor anyone else knows how many or which lesser included offenses will be in the jury instructions.
FF5000 didn't write the articles; the author relied on Florida laws as they're written. Nobody even intimated that they know what will be included in the jury instructions, but common sense dictates that manslaughter of several types would be included.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Anytime someone denounces those who disagree with them as bigots you know that person has a weak argument.

The vast majority of us are fair minded people. My very first post on this matter was to say that Zimmerman should be charged with murder.

The facts have since changed and so has my view. It's apparent that you and others like you are not guided by facts but some larger societal agenda. That's simply wrong.
The facts have NOT changed. Zimmerman still shot Trayvon. Trayvon is still dead. We do not know who started the altercation. Some things have come out, e.g. Zimmerman's arrest record and history of violence; Trayvon's suspensions from school, all of which were for non-violent offenses.

When the first pictures were released, I personally thought Trayvon looked young for 17. Turns out those were old pictures. Zimmerman looked like an obese man. Turned out that was an old picture.

Lots of speculation. Zimmerman was/wasn't acting in neighborhood watch capacity. Trayvon was/wasn't on top. Etc.

The facts are the same as they were when this shooting first made national attention.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You left out his attack on Zimmermen. You do not have the right to attack a neighborhood watchman.
Okay, I have to say something about this "neighborhood watchman" comment. Throughout this entire case, people keep calling Zimmerman the "NW Captain" as if that's some sort of official title. It isn't. He even said he was not "on patrol" that evening. (from his own statements & per the police chief) He said he was driving to the store to run errands when he saw Martin walking and thought he looked suspicious.

Now, what separates Zimmerman from anyone else? Let me know if you can find a license that calls him "Neighborhood Watch Captain." I can call myself Miss Universe but it doesn't make it so.

In fact, most people I know would be a little embarrassed to claim that as a lifelong achievement, since we have little old ladies on golf carts doing the same job.

Sorry, but I had to finally spit this out, since one would imagine "neighborhood watch" is some kind of official position in law enforcement from the way many of you are posting.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,517,107 times
Quote:
You didn't read my post.

Here is some more information about stalking.

Stalking legal definition of Stalking. Stalking synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
You didn't read the article you linked, though it doesn't matter. The actual Florida law can be quoted a thousand times and you'll stick with gz stalked tm. Sounds better.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,020,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, you can railroad someone who kills in self-defense. Are you capable of any rational argument?
Had you been involved in these 5 threads, it would be much easier to discuss the case with you; as it is, you lack the knowledge needed to be effective and make a solid case. I hardly think that there will be anything
"hasty" about Zimmerman's trial...it took quite some time before he was even arrested.

Railroad | Define Railroad at Dictionary.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.